Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
JaysUsedBoatParts

Not Enough DEV participation in these FORUMS

24 comments in this topic

Banned
715 posts
1,011 battles

We see the same old arguments go unanswered 

This forum is a part of the game. Players want answers 

Ignoring them here hurts the game just as bad as bad operational decisions deployed in game.

If you guys know something spit it out dont just let us argue endlessly about things over and over again.

Edited by JaysUsedBoatParts
  • Cool 9
  • Boring 7

[WORX]
Members
10,660 posts
18,555 battles

Content are subject to NDA, Embargo restrictions... No gaming development company reveal any information until the terms are lifted.

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 2

[4HIM]
Members
3,021 posts
12,631 battles

From time to time there are responses from them.  Heck, it could be worse.  The Magic Snail game (that shall not be mentioned) Devs only talk to the community reps (think equivalent of what Fem was doing before she left WG NA) a couple times a year.  Only by appointment and with a limited time.  And never in person.  

[POP]
Members
1,573 posts
22,607 battles

There are a few of them who talk and answer things fairly regularly on the forums.

Members
2,914 posts
36,702 battles

The problem here is we often take for granted that devs of other games often speak or write English.

In WG's case, you have all the Devs being Russian or Ukrainian. English is not their native language and even if they learned English, then the cultural aspect is not considered.

Conveying even a simple request would take days for a response. Imagine that in the last few years. Imagine the tough task of taking questions, translating to Russian, and sending it to WG home office. Then there is follow up questions for clarification, etc.

Such communication would be hectic.

It is no small miracle we got any answers at all sometimes.

Yes, Dev participation would be great if the Dev could field questions quickly. But it is just not the case.

I think you have a valid point OP.

Whether WG works on improving communication by installing a Dev with bilingual skills is something we all hope will happen soon.

Because communication is about as slow as mailing a letter, putting that letter on a truck, placing said truck on a cargo plane, then the plane lands in the wrong destination and has to hop on to another plane, then land at destination only to blow out a tire eventually the carrier delivers the letter but twists their ankle going up the stairs because the elevator is broken and the floor is 12 floors up.

[4HIM]
Members
3,021 posts
12,631 battles
27 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

The problem here is we often take for granted that devs of other games often speak or write English.

Probably a poor assumption to think they don't at least speak it.  We in the US are some of the least multi-lingual populace in the world.  I still remember our instructor when I was taking some Spanish lessons: 

Q: What do you call people who speak three languages?

A: Tri-lingual

Q:  What do you call people who speak two languages?

A: Bi-lingal

Q: What do you call people who speak one language?

A: Americans

When I was there, you could walk around Moscow and not know a bit of Russian and get around fine.  The majority of the people could speak English to some degree.  Heck, buddy of mine went into a McDonalds there.  Kid at the counter took the order of one person in Russian, the one behind him conversed in fluent Japanese, spoke fluent English to him.  

And look at the number of YouTube videos WG puts out with the devs in their office.  Many are translated, but a lot of them do speak and understand English.  

• Cool 3
  • Boring 2

[PVE]
Members
4,262 posts
18,616 battles
1 hour ago, JaysUsedBoatParts said:

Ignoring them here hurts the game just as bad as bad operational decisions deployed in game.

I worked in CS for a time in a corporation that actually had the customers as part of the decision making processes.....  And, that whole process was a demonstration in perspective....  The customer's, before they were part of the process, were on the: "I want it now, at a time and place of my choosing at a cost I can afford...mantra; and, seriously believed that the customer was always right...."  Till we invited them into the process and they got to see exactly what the implications were and what the real costs were..... Ahhhhhhhhh, it wasn't as clear cut as they thought !!    After that, well, the process started making a lot more sense when they chose what they wanted, or needed or simply thought was a good idea for "everyone else...."  Remember, I or you "want" but, what percentage of the "rest of the population" want that idea or product???  Are we screwing the rest of the community?? 

The lesson is our host's Dev's may be quiet because what we want isn't doable.  Or, can't be done as we want it or even when we want it........!  We are assuming that our host has enough employees to run the number of games they operate.....!  Is that a good or bad assumption??? 

Could they do what LoL does>?  In that their employees actually play the game all of the time and any customer that asks a product question of them, that question is added to a list and then answered......!  The concept of the NDA isn't the same everywhere !  But, NDA's dp  and can protect IP that is in development..........  The answer is that they could be more involved if our host wanted.........but, at what cost>>??

Members
2,914 posts
36,702 battles
6 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Probably a poor assumption to think they don't at least speak it.  We in the US are some of the least multi-lingual populace in the world.  I still remember our instructor when I was taking some Spanish lessons: 

When I was there, you could walk around Moscow and not know a bit of Russian and get around fine.  The majority of the people could speak English to some degree.  Heck, buddy of mine went into a McDonalds there.  Kid at the counter took the order of one person in Russian, the one behind him conversed in fluent Japanese, spoke fluent English to him.  

And look at the number of YouTube videos WG puts out with the devs in their office.  Many are translated, but a lot of them do speak and understand English.  

A good point, but what about technical questions? Like say graphics, sound, features, etc?

Could basic English or even intermediate level English get the information to them without any confusion?

And it has been stated in the past that slang terms or euphemisms can be confusing.

I have seen those Dev shows, and most questions are scripted by a host. I sometimes see a random question get thrown in, and that question usually is filtered by the host before a Dev gets it. I have seen only one instance if I recall where a question was taken from the chat box and the Dev had to really think about it. I can't remember the question, but it looked like the Dev didn't understand the question.

While I agree with you that WG's Devs do understand the questions asked, what the OP has brought up is the rare engagement with the forums.

Is it a matter of time zones? Are they able to participate in forums only during working hours?

Could it be the work they are doing keeps them off the social interaction side of their jobs?

Are they being overworked,short staffed, or something else?

I think this is what OP would like to know.

I am sure Devs want to be more involved, but maybe there is something we don't know or understand about what they do and the time they have to do it?

Now you can very well be right and they understand everything we ask or say.

But if that were true, then where are they?

If they are always readily available, then why is OP mentioning this now?

I would like to give anybody the benefit of the doubt.

How about WG post the availability of Devs on the forums as in hours like from this time to this time format?

That should clear things up I hope for OP.

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,593 posts
2,433 battles
2 hours ago, JaysUsedBoatParts said:

If you guys know something spit it out dont just let us argue endlessly about things over and over again.

While you actually aren't wrong for once, none of the threads you tend to post deserve a response from the developers.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
12,645 posts
1 hour ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

We in the US are some of the least multi-lingual populace in the world. 

Of course, there is a good reason for this. Due to the influence of the British Empire and the fact that the US has been a superpower for nearly a hundred years, English is the Lingua Franca of the times. Worldwide, air traffic control is done in English. Computing is done in English. American military bases throughout the world influence the locals to learn English, as did British based prior to this. Such an influence is not new, the same thing happened with the Greeks and Romans, etc.

Then, there is the fact that European countries are about the size of US states. In Europe, you can easily hit four or five countries, all with different languages, in a day. In the US, you would be hard-pressed to hit one. And what language do Europeans who have different native languages use to speak to each other? Well, it used to be French but since WWII it's generally been English.

Many Americans speak more than one language. America is a country of immigrants (both legal and illegal) and the southern half of the country and coasts, especially, have large Spanish-speaking populations.  I live a thousand miles from the border of Mexico but I can go to my local grocery store and not hear a word of English being spoken. One tenth of the US population now speaks Spanish as a primary language. Lots of medical and business people in America speak a second language in order to work with different cultures, as do many military personnel. One of the first things that Army Special Forces trainees do is go to language school.

However, if you don't need to learn another language then why do so? What benefit would you accrue from learning an obscure African dialect, or even a language like Portuguese, unless you had business with people speaking the language? Unless there is a reason for learning a second language it's better to devote your time and effort to learning something more important. And let's don't forget all the computer programmers either because computer languages, even if written in English, are true languages with terms and a grammar that has to be learned and applied correctly.

Edited by Snargfargle

[LOIN]
Supertester
810 posts
1 hour ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Hey, most of them want to speak their native language. When I was in Spain, I spoke my native language, but I do speak some Español. Dispite that I spoke English most of the time, because I'm more comfortable speak my native language 

[EQRN]
Members
2,030 posts
17,490 battles

WG keeps so much under the wraps I don’t know how much a dev could contribute to any given conversation.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,736 posts

The particular dev who really needs to be forced to read our feedback the most is probably the one who is also the most thin-skinned and the most egocentric, the one WGHQ should want interacting with the customers the least.

[SBS]
Members
5,901 posts
2 hours ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

That joke has always been pretty lame.  While its true to some degree it's not really fair in that the people that have no need to know another language don't bother, why would they?  That is case for the British too.  They live on their island and for the most part don't have a practical need to learn other languages.  Many people around the world learn English since it's the de facto international language for business.  Europeans learn other languages because its either practical, or even necessary.  The Americans that live in areas that necessitate it, or their jobs require it, are multilingual.      

[WOLF3]
Members
27,063 posts
23,845 battles

In any game, developers got better things to do than participate in forum comedy.

Make no mistake.  The forums are here for us to conduct PVP with each other outside of WoWS itself.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,024 battles
6 hours ago, JaysUsedBoatParts said:

6 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Content are subject to NDA, Embargo restrictions... No gaming development company reveal any information until the terms are lifted.

This^^^

And this Dev subforum. https://forum.worldofwarships.com/forum/303-developers-corner/

[PVE]
Members
552 posts
10,276 battles
6 hours ago, JaysUsedBoatParts said:

even when they get answered people keep bringing the same old argument up. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
27,063 posts
23,845 battles
52 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

Devs are active on Reddit actually

You know, it's funny, this isn't the only game where the devs are like that.  They'll go to reddit but not their own official forums :Smile_teethhappy:  And reddit is a lot more loose than the official boards.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,214 posts
9,362 battles
8 hours ago, JaysUsedBoatParts said:

RU devs don't much care for the English-speaking forums. Never have.

Members
2,763 posts
93 battles
10 hours ago, JaysUsedBoatParts said:

Ah yes, "not enough dev participation".

And if they DO participate, the playerbase then quickly gangs on them, calling them shills and, bluntly, insulting them for their "lies to the playerbase" and "incompetence at balancing the game", even calling for their resignation, just like what happened in Reddit with Sub_Octavian. 

And you wonder why they don't show up?

Edited by RyuuohD_NA
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

Members
2,763 posts
93 battles
2 hours ago, Wombatmetal said:

Devs are active on Reddit actually

Sure. 

And they get insulted and trashtalked on a regular basis.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,736 posts

Not sure what other reaction you'd expect from customers when a highly-placed representative of the company refers to a common complaint as "Just retardit being retardit.:Smile_facepalm:

E:  That comment may have been a paraphrase, with poor notation that it wasn't a direct quote, so for now I'm going to withdraw this. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter

Sign in to follow this