You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dareios

The toughest? ships in the game**

16 comments in this topic

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,580 posts

Welcome to another data dive where we look at:

What is the toughest ship you can face off against?

(edit, changed title from tankiest to try and steer people away from armour being absolute. Its about drawing fire, not neccessarily repelling it)

That ship. It’s been anchoring the centre of the map causing havoc. It’s been shot, burnt, torpedoed, bombed, probably strangled and even harsh language doesn’t seem to work. Now it’s angry and starting to face role your team.

In this dive I will look at the most recent quarter’s NA server stats, and will compare which ships have averaged more than 1000000 (million) potential damage per match and for the best of those I will multiply their average agro by their average survivability rate in order to see who can take the biggest beating and still sail out the other side.

The analysis is subjective but the stats are real.

Let’s ask our colour commentators.

Ship_PGSC001_Hermelin_1940.png.131f75ddab5da01d47fec35384124fbd.png  "Our floating Islands vill not be sunk"

Ship_PRSC101_Orlan.png.7fb64b6711de44b5cfc1d0c5d83ea9e8.png  "Nyet. All know motherland bias is too stronk"

Ship_PBSC101_Black_Swan.png.989b0fbbee1e1b6c8dba5091519e7b2a.png  " The crown will persevere. Our super heals will keep us alive"

Ship_PASC001_Erie_1936.png.6db9eea42913a3d96b6a96966f960391.png  "huh? What? oh, just trying to fit this 72oz steak into the waffle iron. Yeah! 'Murica! Best there is!

Ship_PFSC101_Bougainville.png.4b44b207469bde88d2574aac195f7950.png ".... I like cheese"

Don’t we all Bougainville, don’t we all. Place your bets.

The not even close

1)      No CV get shot nearly enough to qualify. Don’t be silly.

2)      Despite the hate focus, dodging enemy torps, being radared and hunted by rocket planes, NO DDs qualified, although the Khab alone came close. Either they don’t get targeted as much as people like to think, or they die too quick to clock up the potential. Each of you will have your own opinion on which is the case.

All qualifying cruisers

Spoiler

(potential damage per match only)

Venezia           1215728

Yoshino           1134017

Hindy              1149409

H4                   1272983

Kronstad         1271181

Moskva           1367993

Alaska             1184756

Alaska B         1147326

Salem              1036951

Peurto Rico     1443801

Stalingrad        1495767

The many decent but not remarkable BBs who qualified

Spoiler

(not even going to bother listing their potentials, but all fall in the 1.0 – 1.399M bracket

Roma, Amagi, Kii, Izumo, Gneieneau, Sharnhorst (both), Bismark, Tirpitz (both), FDG, Richy, Gascan, JB, hood, nelson, monarch, vanguard, lion, sinop, Poltava, Vlad, Alabama (both) Mass (both) Iowa, Gerogia, Missouri

The Contenders

Spoiler

Ship                             Av Potential    survivability                Tankiness Rating

#16 Soyuz                   1437250          33.7%                          484

#15 Moskva                1367993          36.67%                        501

#14 Grosser K             1716288          29.77%                        510

#13 Henry 4                1272983          42.52%                        541

#12 Puerto Rico          1443801          38.58%                        557

#11 Republic               1563928          36.29%                        567

#10 Montana               1539083          37.38%                        575

#09 Yamato                1492674          38.60%                        576

#08 Stalingrad             1495767          39.69%                        593

#07 Musashi                1425220          42.88%                        611

#06 Thunderer             1410692          44.25%                        624

#05 Venezia                1215728          52.00%                        632

#04 Ohio                     1761545          37.75%                        664

The podium

Spoiler

ship                               Av potential    Survives                     tankiness rating

#03 Kremlin                1863523          37.30%                        695

#02 Conqueror            1524339          45.87%                        699

#01 Bourgone             1592637          45.49%                        724

There you have it. While the Kremlin, Ohio and GK get hit more, they get focused down quicker and their survivability suffers. The Turophile wins this dive.

Ship_PZSC101_Cheng_An.png.65582d95d21584554139397ba6cdb40e.png " 我不喜歡奶酪 "

[O7]
Members
1,030 posts
4,417 battles

You can just look at a ship's parameters to see what the tankiest ship actually is:

hint: its not the Kremlin, its not even close actually

It is the Midway

1.  Midway is pretty much immune to HE. Kremlin gets a 70mm deck, which can be penetrated by BB HE and IFHE Yoshino/Hindenburg/Stalingrad/Azuma/PR/Alaska. Midway's 87mm deck makes it only vulnerable to BB HE from Royal Navy and German BBs
  2.  Midway have a tiny SS. Midway's super structure is extremely thin and overall volume is less than 1/5 that of a normal BB including Kremlin
  3.  Midway have a super damage control. It lasts 60 seconds, making it immune to fires. Kremlin in comparison is only immune for 15 seconds
  4.  Midway have 19mm side plating. This basically means BB AP will never arm
  5.  Midway have 87mm extended to the bow. At medium and long range Midway is immune to AP when bow on, as nothing overmatches 87
  6.  Midway actually have defense against aircraft, unlike any surface ship in the game

Hakuryu comes second, it have a even thicker deck but its citadel is easier to hit.

For those that are curious, the least tanky  ship in the game is the Nino Bixio (if you exclude the T1s of course)

The ship is covered exclusively in 6mm armor. This means it is overmatches by every ship in the game except Tachibana and Smith

Yes, even the V25, which is basically a patrol boat with 88mm guns, can overmatch the entire Nino Bixio

• Cool 3
  • Boring 2

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,580 posts
15 minutes ago, DolphinPrincess said:

It is the Midway

it doesnt get shot at very often, so its not consistently tanking any damage. It gets a 241 on the tankiness scale as per criteria listed at top of post.

Nowhere am I comparing ANY armour values. This is about potential, ie counting stuff that bounces or comes close.

somehow I get the idea you didnt even read my post.

[O7]
Members
1,030 posts
4,417 battles
12 minutes ago, Dareios said:

it doesnt get shot at very often, so its not consistently tanking any damage. It gets a 241 on the tankiness scale as per criteria listed at top of post.

Nowhere am I comparing ANY armour values.

somehow I get the idea you didnt even read my post.

You used potential damage as a metric, which does not define how tanky a ship actually is.

BBs are of course going to have the most potential damage because potatoes think they should tank in a BB

But having the most potential damage does not mean the ship is tanky.

I am simply offering the objective analysis to the tankiness topic.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[WORX]
Members
10,648 posts
18,555 battles

I agree with DP... The Midway, Very annoying ship to sink while dodging 5k plane shots...

Moving away the Midway bounces/absorb more shells as Wilder did punches to his head...

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,580 posts
21 minutes ago, DolphinPrincess said:

You used potential damage as a metric, which does not define how tanky a ship actually is.

BBs are of course going to have the most potential damage because potatoes think they should tank in a BB

But having the most potential damage does not mean the ship is tanky.

I am simply offering the objective analysis to the tankiness topic.

and percentage games survived.

look, I get your point, but thats another issue outside the scope of this dive.

I put forward that armour profiles are irrelevant if that ship is not being shot at and henceforth not tanking any damage. Something that sits at the back of the map unspotted for most of the match is the very opposite of tanking damage. If anything the fault lies in the definition and choice of using the word tanky.

If you would like to do open a different thread on armour profiles and citadel hit box comparrisons then I would personally read that with interest

[UN1]
Members
1,215 posts
3,657 battles

If we're talking strictly battleships, the toughest all-around ships relative to their tier are:

T5 - Pyotr Velikiy, Konig

T6 - USS Arizona, Bayern, West Virginia

T7 - Sinop, California (just look at her armor profile and you'll see why)

T8 - Lenin, Vladivostok, Roma

T9 - Sovetsky Soyuz by a loooooong shot, then FdG

T10 - Kremlin, Kurfurst

Basically Russian and German ships with some American love thrown in here and there.

[HOT]
Members
258 posts
6,985 battles

i agree midway is best tanky ship!

always at long range BBs be overpening

Damage control is super effective 

Shells be ricocheting and shattering

did i forget to mention it actually has a torpedo belt dont know if any other  CVs have it  

like all CVs superstructure is tiny

Members
2,902 posts
36,702 battles

Maybe you should state the definition of a tanky ship and the recommended ship types.

I rarely see a DD tank, or a cruiser. But I have seen Battleship's and CVs with decent secondary battery tank.

Is tanking a team technique on a cap push? Because that would be contrary to current meta.

That is what potatoes do I suppose. Maybe tanking and pushing are considered obscene game play.

If it's no longer acceptable, then what is?

I am not trying to derail this. It's just that your data while quite true, are stats of potato players.

Having said that, I would be very interested in the data on static position artillery mode, or spam for short.

Personally, I like my spam diced, slightly browned and tossed in to an omelette with cheese. Sure spam goes well with tossed salads, bananas, pineapple, and other fruits. It seems spam is universally well liked.

I can provide my omelette recipes upon request.

Members
1,058 posts
7,478 battles

It is cute watching the data-deniers show themselves each time proving the existence of willful ignorance.  The same people bringing up on-paper stats as if it matters even in the slightest when compared to the data, ergo in-practice stats.

"The Midway is the tankiest... because..."    Look... the data ultimately refutes this belief.

• Boring 1

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,580 posts
1 hour ago, iBrowEcc0 said:

what does the chinese say? and why in chinese?

never explain a joke. especially a bad one. copy and past it into your online translation software of choice to see what the chinese ship is saying.

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,580 posts
3 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

That is what potatoes do I suppose.....  are stats of potato players.

<snip>

Personally, I like my spam diced, slightly browned and tossed in to an omelette with cheese.

well, since you mention it my good man...

how does this list change if we take ONLY how SUPER-unicums perform with these same metrics (dont worry about those 61%ers, they're almost potatoes, right?)

Bourgone     1603635,     56.26%          -     902

Conqueror    1554909     58.87%          -     915

Ohio              1784327     51.70 %      -        922

Kremlin        1916206      50.22%      -        962

and yes, Id go that, probably with mushrooms and peppers too.

Members
2,902 posts
36,702 battles
9 minutes ago, Dareios said:

well, since you mention it my good man...

how does this list change if we take ONLY how SUPER-unicums perform with these same metrics (dont worry about those 61%ers, they're almost potatoes, right?)

Bourgone     1603635,     56.26%          -     902

Conqueror    1554909     58.87%          -     915

Ohio              1784327     51.70 %      -        922

Kremlin        1916206      50.22%      -        962

and yes, Id go that, probably with mushrooms and peppers too.

Nice. Portabello is highly recommend. The generic store mushrooms can be boring. And adding shitake adds a Southeast Asia tone. Put wasabi as a side and you will be praised as omelette making Jedi master. And peppers in red and orange make the omelette pop with color, the Spam is enhanced by being subtle without being overbearing. The salt even fades if you add olive oil as a light saute prep during the browning phase.

Okay I must stop giving my secrets away.

I was told I can make any ingredient in my omelettes taste good. Well, about the only thing I have not tried is Vegemite, but I like a challenge. I pull that off, IHOP will have some serious competition. LOL

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,607 posts
10,459 battles

If we are using pot damage as a measurement of tankiness, then any good long range ship that can avoid shots can be a tanky ship.  If we are using the ability to actually take a shot and survive, then that is plating, angles, repair, and damage control ability.

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,580 posts
9 minutes ago, Murcc said:

If we are using pot damage as a measurement of tankiness, then any good long range ship that can avoid shots can be a tanky ship.  If we are using the ability to actually take a shot and survive, then that is plating, angles, repair, and damage control ability.

I guess thats why the Kremlin (plating) and Conq (repair) feature prominently. Unfortunately not even the unicums can keep a GK alive very long.