You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Aurora_7

Most gratifying 'Devastating Strike' for you

35 comments in this topic

[AK-49]
Members
369 posts
7,216 battles

Was there a sinking that reached deep in you that made you feel 'I love this game'?

For me it was early on when I started playing and I made my first premium purchase. I got the Atago and had a few matches with her. One match in particular had the Read Team with a Big Mo'. They must have been a new player with a premium ship because they had presented me with a target I'll always remember. Perhaps it was fog of war or not realizing my ship had torpedoes but this Missouri slowly crept our from behind an island, presenting me with a perfect broadside target for me torpedo. Every torpedo from my spread hit home -it was a religious experience. The Missouri had been at full health and I couldn't believe I took it out with one salvo. I've never taken out a full health BB since with a cruiser.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,061 posts
14,295 battles

Through the nose of a Smolensk, blind in smoke, with my Thunderer. Double cit, first blood, dev strike, and even the victim congratulated me on the shot.

• Funny 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,284 posts
25,147 battles

Emerald on Solomons. East side of map, Standard mode, losing game.

In the NE corner heading south. DD in the gap, St Louis at the North Cape, Wyoming and Kongo in the south. I’m dead no matter which way I go.

So I charge the battleships.

They either missed, or didn’t do much damage. Sailed between them...

’...torpedoes to the right of me; torpedoes to the left, volleyed and splashed...’

Dev Strike, Double Strike.

In chat;

”How many torpedoes does that thing have?”

Someone besides me giving an answer;

”Enough.”

Still lost, but I survived; and you’ll never get me to say anything bad about Emerald.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,342 posts
12,359 battles

That time I dev struck an omaha in my BB. Then the other time I did the same thing or maybe it was the third. All I know it was 1 of the 160 times I dev struck an omaha.

• Funny 1

Members
2,834 posts
36,587 battles

My best devastating strike was in a random match in my Fujin. It was the older map I can't remember the name. It was A cap. I sailed in fast and I guessed red would round their island corner, then immediately sail wide to clear the corner.

But since I hit the speed boost early, I got my torps out to their corner before they got there.

I sank 2 fujins with the Dev strike and since the second one was right behind the other I got the double strike as well.

I fired the torpedoes before spotting them. So my teamnates at first thought I was an idiot. But when I got 2, that changed their minds.

Red team however, was angry and accused me of doing something impossible. LOL

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

I remember dev striking a full health atlanta with 1 volley from hipper.    that was fun. 

Also  remember vlad  dev striking a  near  full health colburg.       Recently, I used moskva  and caught red moskva and smolensk broadside  nose in to our BB.          double strike and dev strike  (did like 15 citadels in 3 volley)      

[SACH]
[SACH]
Members
990 posts

Way back when.....@ three years ago. I cought site of a fuso and from Max range in my fuso, and full salvo Dev strike and sunk it. Everyone sort of just said WOW.

I was just amazed at what I though back then was so much power off one ship.

But that was then and this is now. Overpen overpen. Lol.:Smile_sceptic:

[WORX]
Members
10,626 posts
18,519 battles

Torping every BB/cruiser and sometimes DDs in a IJN DD...

It would sometimes take over 5 secs travel time to target... Once the fishes made contact.. Such a wonderful site to see.

Now with all the buffs to mobility, nerfs to IJN torp line, Nerfs to flooding, nerf to Torp dispersion making them wider apart, you'll be be lucky if one torp hits the nose of a target...

Edited by Navalpride33

[ALWC]
Members
1,180 posts
14,021 battles

Last ranked season. Smoli popped smoke. Kremlin took aim at 18 km and opened fire. I didn’t think anything of it. Maybe a couple of overpens. Then dev struck. 

[CYNIC]
Members
2,638 posts
6,182 battles

Honestly it's one of the broken elements of the game.  There should be a maximum damage cap of ~40% hp that could occur over 10 seconds or so.

Some ships already have saturation limits on a given area.  Saturation damage should be removed and max damage over a given interval should replace it on all ships..... especially with the short-falling-shells bug

Members
4,349 posts
11,237 battles

I’ve had a number of fun ones, but there are two that come to mind right away. A number of years ago (back when NC was my highest tier ship and my favorite ship to play), I had an enemy Atago pop up about 15km away wiggling like all IJN cruisers do. Took a snap shot, blapped him for three citadels, and sent him back to port less than three minutes in. I felt kind of bad because he didn’t even know I was there, but it was still fun. 

The second one was in clan battles, either the second or third season. I was on our strong flank on Land of Fire pushing down on the AB side when most of the enemy team was spotted heading toward C. Their Henri started tearing up our two cruisers on that side, and our FC sent two more cruisers to provide more support while the rest of us flanked them. I expected the Henri to turn and beach against an island for armor and fired two Montana turrets in his direction. He turned and beached, and a few seconds later found four 16 inch Freedom shells bypassing the black hole protecting his citadel and exploding in the citadel. 100-0 in an instant, and it allowed our weak flank to survive long enough to get behind cover and the rest of us to get on their flank and crossfire them to death. 

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
6,436 posts
15,330 battles

I remember two in particular.

In one I was playing a Japanese cruiser.  I was holding a flank and reds were pushing in around an island.  A  DD laid smoke for them at the island edge, and the fire starting incoming.  I dropped both sides of torps into the smoke from max range...around 10 km.  I killed two for a Double Strike, and got at least one Dev Strike out of it.  

The other I was in a DD, and launched torps toward a distant battleship.  I did hit the battleship with a torp or two, but the surprise was the Dev Strike on the red DD in front of the battleship that I didn't even know was there.

[-VT-]
Members
857 posts
25,383 battles

Dev stuck a full health Moskva in a GK from 12 km, it had tunnel vision on a DD and I caught it in a turn.

[HINON]
Members
3,254 posts
26,511 battles
9 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Through the nose of a Smolensk, blind in smoke, with my Thunderer. Double cit, first blood, dev strike, and even the victim congratulated me on the shot.

frikin sweet

[ARGSY]
Members
20,061 posts
14,295 battles
8 minutes ago, giovybez said:

frikin sweet

I've done the same with the Musashi since (albeit not in smoke), but it was in co-op so it didn't score a DS award.

[_GAD_]
Members
96 posts
7,045 battles
8 hours ago, NoSoMo said:

Honestly it's one of the broken elements of the game.  There should be a maximum damage cap of ~40% hp that could occur over 10 seconds or so.

Some ships already have saturation limits on a given area.  Saturation damage should be removed and max damage over a given interval should replace it on all ships..... especially with the short-falling-shells bug

How are Dev Strikes broken? Not counting detonations, 95% of dev strikes can be mitigated by proper angling and map awareness. Not turning in front of a BB, changing course and speed to avoid torpedoes, not grounding on islands in front of enemy ships. Yes, many ships' armor can be overmatched by others, but as a captain, it's your responsibility to know what ships can and can't overmatch yours. I think Dev Strikes can certainly be annoying, but I don't think they are anywhere close to being broken. If you implement a ~40% hp over 10 seconds rule, that may work for BB salvo's, but that completely kills DD ambushing and or BB's, cruisers not being aware and sailing into full torpedo salvos. 

As for saturation damage, removing it would actually ruin the game in the current META. imagine a Smolensk farming from smoke doing full damage on your superstructure because saturation isn't a thing. Currently, HE spam is definitely annoying, but it is mitigated somewhat by the saturation mechanic.

Also, what exactly does the short-falling-shells bug have to do with any of your points? SFS bug prevents you from doing more damage, so by removing dev strikes, you are further hindering the amount of damage that can be done.

TLDR, Dev Strikes are fine, and removing them in place of a DOT limit would severely throw the game out of balance.

[NWNG]
Members
3,072 posts
4,925 battles

Torpedo from my Akizuki hitting the Magazine of a Montana causing Detonation, and Dev Strike. The torpedo hit and caused the explosion at the same moment my HE shells hit the ship, giving the illusion that my HE shells were packing something extra.

Another memorable moment, was not a devstrike, but came close to being one. I was in a Pensacola, and fired on an Omaha, RNG Favored me that day as I achieved 6 citadels in a single full-broadside,  dealing 16,800 damage, other shells over-pened but can't remember how many. I watched as not only my shells hit, but another set of shells from my ally, hit simultaneously. His shells were lucky enough to deal the final blow. Came so close to getting a dev strike.

[NWNG]
Members
88 posts
693 battles

The most memorable Dev Strike for me, was in my New Mexico, against the tier 6 German Cruiser (don't ask me to spell it). He was all over the place, shells from my allies landing to all sides of him, some hitting him but most of them missing. I traced his course, but instead of firing directly where he was going to be should he follow a straightline path, I took a gamble, and fired in a different location, predicting his turn to avoid my shells. Sure enough once I open fired, I become detected, he begins manuevering, my shells land directly into his citadel, and he's dead. I receive a Dev Strike, and a congrats from the now sunk player.

The most recent dev strike I accomplished, was in my Iowa against ARP Myoko. Greece map, and the Myoko was behind an island, giving me a lovely broadside. I notice that the indicator of terrain being in the way, wasn't on my screen, so I popped my shot. Never saw it coming, 39,200 damage later (3 citadels) and he is gone. Thought the island would provide him cover, which was why he showed broadside. He learned a valuable lesson in shell trajectory from this experience... or at least I hope he did. Sadly, I went stupid, and gave broadside to enemy Georgia, thus ending the game for me.

Edited by CelestialSwan

Members
170 posts
5,817 battles

It wasn't a dev strike, but a Stalingrad turned around an island and gave up its flat broadside at 15km from my Roma.  I hit it for a quad citadel.  It died about 30 seconds later.  Or the triple cit on a Moskva at max range with Roma with spotter up.  That was satisfying.

Members
6,151 posts
9,801 battles

Two from ARP Myoko, back when she was my favorite:

1) Top tier, caught an Omaha going broadside and had AP loaded. Got a DS off him and giggled.

2) Torpedobeat around old T7 IJN DD's torps (forget which, this is before Shirayatsu), then sent mine back and got a DS. "DD out-dd'd by a cruiser" I joked

Also, in Taiho, saw where a Minotaur hid in smoke, saw he'd be unaware of my planes, perfectly timed 12 TB drop greeted him as his smoke vanished. He complimented me for that move.

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,263 battles

1) 7 citadel devvie with my Smolensk on a Colbert backing up from behind an island.

2) 3 citadel devvie on a Smolensk with my Udaloi from about 12.5 km away. So much laughing was done....

[PHU]
Members
204 posts
4,781 battles

Tier 10 Ranked Battle. Enemy Smolensk at full health smoked up on the western flank and I was in my Montana on the eastern flank. Hit my spotter plane to get a better view and took a random pot shot from about 20km away. No lock on so I wasn't expecting much, but RNGsus blessed me that day and the plunging fire managed to find the citadel and it was sent to the shadow realm. We lost the battle, but I'll never forget it.

Not my video, but this was practically how it went down.