Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dareios

deadliest ships in the game**

28 comments in this topic

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,569 posts

What are the deadliest ships you have faced recently in randoms?

Which ship should you least want to see on the enemy team??

Q; dareios what do you mean by deadly? Surely that’s just a matter of personal opinion!

A: While having the ever loving jeebus farmed out of you by HE spam is very annoying and a contributing factor in your demise, it is often not the eventual cause of you being sunk. Here is my criteria (yes it’s subjective, but the data points are not)… A ‘deadly’ ship must, averaging over all the matches it appears in, at a minimum kill at least one enemy ship and survive, or kill two enemy ships and then die itself. Pretty low benchmark huh? Just get one kill by not suiciding into a cap and trading yourself?

I’ve pulled the NA data from the 15 weeks leading up to the end of January and present the following breakdown. Listing all ships with at least 1.00 kills per match AND a kills/death ratio of at least 2.00. I am also counting only T5 and up, to avoid a few outlier BBs you can probably guess, and because due to the hp pools, pretty much every tier one and two ship would top the lists.

place your bets on your favourite hate ship.

Spoiler

Bourgone         1.22 kills     2.20 k/d

Gulio Cesare    1.21 kills.   2.26 k/d

Kamikaze         1.17 kills    2.00 k/d  (only it, not the clones)

Hakyryu           1.03 kills    4.38 k/d

Indomitable      1.02 kills   4.25 k.d

Spoiler

Hon mentions to both Gremy and Neustrashimmy who almost qualify at 1.95 k/d.

And… that’s it! No other t5+ ship qualifies under my definition of deadly. No payfast. No stalinium death cruisers. RIP USN/KM. Those are the 5 deadliest ships in the game (although Im raising an eyebrow at #5).

If I'm bored next week I might do a bottom five.

GLHF.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
4,253 posts
18,541 battles

OK, and this is just for me, and, I've stopped playing Random matches, the Fabuki, the Kagero and the Benham or, the Shimy.....   I don't have a tier 7 favorite though?

At least a ship a match and several usually.  They are great because they "never see you" if you are doing your job.  Now, radar and planes drove me out but, even when I am talked into a Random, those 4 ships can be a nightmare for the other side..... 

[CO-OP]
Members
1,471 posts
24,638 battles

I hate seeing a Cleveland on the opposing team, she's my bogey ship. Guaranteed I'll be in flames for 90% of the time until I finally find her cit.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[SIDE]
Members
4,656 posts

A decently run carrier from any nation gets my vote. Might not lead team in kills but they can rack up big damage and don't die very much.

[O_O]
Members
6,428 posts
15,316 battles

Many ships classified as "overpowered" are only such when competently played.  They are still potentially overpowered.  But, too many taters can water down their potential.  I have seen BelfastsKutuzov's, etc, played exceedingly badly and getting demolished within minutes.

However, when I see those ships, I am still nervous until I get an idea what kind of player is controlling it.  The ship has potential to be devastating, until the player in control proves otherwise.

Occasionally you will get blindsided by an unremarkable ship that is being played by a good player.  Let's face it...with the average skill of the general player base, it isn't hard stand out.  If you know the game mechanics, play smart, and know how to play your ship, you are already better than 75% (ish) of the player base.

[WORX]
Members
10,604 posts
18,506 battles

High tier ships of certain ship class. That is depending what ship I am playing as well...

In you play the NY, every ship in the game is OP/Over-capable compared to you.

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
1 hour ago, thebigblue said:

A decently run carrier from any nation gets my vote. Might not lead team in kills but they can rack up big damage and don't die very much.

I agree, the ability to provide such powerful scouting and spotting can be devastating. And then being really hard on the DDs, softening up larger targets, and killing critically damaged targets all while typically having their CV nice and safe some place.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

in current meta,  strong BBs are the king unless unicum CV is present.     frankly,   at t7, I find Sinop to be pretty OP and very consistently strong no matter what match you are in.    Cruisers have been nerf'd down hard with all the fire nerf.     if there is no CV,  good DD can do well at t7/8  but it is lot more work than BB.  

• Confused 1

[--O--]
Members
931 posts

What I dont want to see is a player who knows how to play an IJN DD.

Ghost Yugumo with torp reload is just not something you want to see on the other side because you will never see it on the map.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles
15 minutes ago, Mustangrde1 said:

What I dont want to see is a player who knows how to play an IJN DD.

Ghost Yugumo with torp reload is just not something you want to see on the other side because you will never see it on the map.

TBH,  I am more afraid of  well played kitakaze  or Mogador at t9 than   yugumo.  Heck, benham is more effective     torp DD than yugumo anyway.        

[WPORT]
Members
5,396 posts
10,444 battles

The ship's capabilities, whatever the ship, are well-published.

Study the ship and know what it is capable of.

The player, on the other hand, may or may not be well known and their behavior & play-style may or may not be familiar.

The player is the "variable".  :-)

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
52 minutes ago, centarina said:

TBH,  I am more afraid of  well played kitakaze  or Mogador at t9 than   yugumo.  Heck, benham is more effective     torp DD than yugumo anyway.        

Yugumo just like any other IJN Torp Boat DD must be used properly to be truly effective. But far too often they are used by players who do not use them effectively.

Members
3,582 posts
12,935 battles

Was gonna guess the GC. It's been since it's release a noob/new player stomper at T5. 

Looks like it made it. 

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yugumo just like any other IJN Torp Boat DD must be used properly to be truly effective. But far too often they are used by players who do not use them effectively.

that could be said for just about every bote.   I do think it is good in division, but not as strong in solo random.

Another bote that is not mentioned  is Kami  sisters.   they are OP  as heck at t5  .   

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
4 minutes ago, centarina said:

that could be said for just about every bote.   I do think it is good in division, but not as strong in solo random.

Another bote that is not mentioned  is Kami  sisters.   they are OP  as heck at t5  .   

Lol Solo Random is the best way to play a torp boat DD. Much like with the stereotypical ideas behind submarine warfare the torp DDs tend to be well suited to lone wolf hunting to stealthily attack their prey.

It’s some of the gunboat DDs that can end up requiring divisions as some of those are borderline CLs and CLs really need good support to function well.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles
10 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lol Solo Random is the best way to play a torp boat DD. Much like with the stereotypical ideas behind submarine warfare the torp DDs tend to be well suited to lone wolf hunting to stealthily attack their prey.

It’s some of the gunboat DDs that can end up requiring divisions as some of those are borderline CLs and CLs really need good support to function well.

well if it works for you.  but I still don't consider yugumo  OP.   Personal preference for me is with hybrid gunbotes.   In general,  stealthy torp DD is great in team setting. It is why shima and somers is used a lot in KOTS.      In general, I don't seem to do as well with  damage farmer  compared to bote that can control a cap.    YMMV      

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,569 posts
58 minutes ago, centarina said:

Kami herself comes in 3rd on the list. For whatever reason the R and Fujin have not been played as well recently.

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
9,191 battles
1 hour ago, kishan99 said:

Anything Russian...   need I explain?

Sure. Which Russian ships are the most deadly at their tier?

Those 4km torps. Sheesh. They are the most powerful in the game, because of their low detection.

Or, maybe you think the Krem is more powerful than the Conqueror and Thunderer, despite both RN BBs having 15% better average damage per match, vastly better accuracy and range, and godlike fire starting HE?

Wait.... maybe the paper Smol, the tier X cruiser that can be citadel-ed by HE.

So, give us a list of the Russian ships you fear, that you think are best of their class and tier.

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,569 posts
1 hour ago, kishan99 said:

Anything Russian...   need I explain?

and yet none of them make this list?

[RKLES]
Members
12,551 posts
14,267 battles
10 hours ago, centarina said:

well if it works for you.  but I still don't consider yugumo  OP.   Personal preference for me is with hybrid gunbotes.   In general,  stealthy torp DD is great in team setting. It is why shima and somers is used a lot in KOTS.      In general, I don't seem to do as well with  damage farmer  compared to bote that can control a cap.    YMMV      

IJN Torp Boat DDs while able to put up a surprisingly good gun fight if the user knows how and when to do so are still not a match for a gunboat in a full out gun fight so in terms of guns they can seem lesser. But when it comes to torpedoes, mobility, and stealth that is often where they can have many good situations to be really powerful for those of us that use them well.

For example you know those weekend lemming trains that frequently happen with players that usually don’t know how to evade very well? Well just imagine firing off some nice torp walls into those ship formations at opportune points and times...

Also Ranked frequently comes down to smoke and torpedo spamming meta.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

Members
3,097 posts
12,258 battles
17 hours ago, Dareios said:

Pretty low benchmark huh? Just get one kill by not suiciding into a cap and trading yourself?

The problem with your approach is that you are looking for ship that players of all different skill levels combined are doing better with.  There are certain ships that are doing much better when used by competent player in comparison to other ships that are much more “poor skill friendly”.  Yamato and Musashi, for example, do not appear to be topping any charts, but those ships can be downright scary in skilled hands.

Edited by Ramsalot

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,569 posts
23 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

The problem with your approach is that you are looking for ship that players of all different skill levels combined are doing better with.  There are certain ships that are doing much better when used by competent player in comparison to other ships that are much more “poor skill friendly”.  Yamato and Musashi, for example, do not appear to be topping any charts, but those ships can be downright scary in skilled hands.

Oh yes, thats entirely true!

I am intentionally looking at the server entire, from purples so purple they smash clean through the visible light spectrum and down to the potatoiest potato that ever did potate. For discussions on individual ships skill ceilings check out Mouses reviews.

and subjectively, that ship over there that I am facing right now in my game, is obviously scarier than any number on a forum.

I do have the stats available to look at what overall unicums are doing in XYZ ship alone, and might at a later week consider doing a 'best ship for purples' or 'easiest bote for bads' dive.

Members
1,058 posts
7,478 battles
22 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

No, because the approach at looking at the trends for all owners is the correct analytical method as long as the ships are not gated (e.g. steel), in which case you have to account for the skew created by the bias in the sample.

As for the non-gated ships, taking the performance of all of the owners in the sample is the correct method. ****IF***** the game was even remotely balanced, things like "low skilled players dragging down the stats" and "ships appearing OP when played by skilled players"  become a "wash" in the end.

If a ship/type is simply High skill floor + High skill ceiling, it will perform poorly in the bottom half of the player base ranked by skill, and the performance will jump dramatically once you get over the half way point for the same ranking. Again, IF the game was remotely balanced. The lesser skilled players and higher skilled players, and their respective performance would essentially cancel each other out and the trend will be normalized. 

Unfortunately, the game is NOT even remotely balanced. You have high skill floor and high skill ceiling ships like DDs, except for the most part are underpowered (some greatly) at high tiers, and the trend doesn't normalize. The dramatic "jump" in performance between lesser-skilled and more skilled players is present HOWEVER, the ability for these ships to carry even at the high end, is STILL lower than even ships with LOWER skill requirements. This is partially due to WG leaving high tier BBs and CVs overpowered, some by a large margin as well.

As far as the "deadliest" ship. Average kills alone is worthless. KDR is also pretty worthless.  You need to use Average kills AND average damage in the observation for comparison.  A ship can kill-steal and still be very weak in their combat ability. If one were to chose which ship they'd rather have on their team, would they rather have the weak kill-stealer? or the ship that did 90%+ of the damage to the ship that died?  You will find the latter to be a far better choice.

Edited by Varknyn12

[KID0]
Members
127 posts
1,392 battles

Mighty Nihon kubo Hosho!  Scourge of all who dare defy Imperiaru Kido Butai. Banzai!

image.png.2c7172c6337259b5f4a3669a6c471dc6.png

Edited by Kaigun_Chusa

Sign in to follow this