Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ddoubletapp1

British Heavy Cruisers - IFHE?

7 comments in this topic

[WOLF4]
Members
881 posts
11,947 battles

So - I've reached  Albemarle in the British heavy cruiser line.

I've been enjoying it - its a ship that I'd describe as "balanced".  I've had some good matches, especially in tier ten - when I've had little attention applied to my HP pool - and have quietly picked away at a reasonable total damage - and I've had matches where I've pushed a cap while backing up a DD - been focused and sent back to port by two top tier BBs focusing me with a single salvo each.

Balanced.

However - I'm currently using a skipper I began on Exeter - he's at 19 points - but still spec'ed for IFHE.

Is this a recommended skill at T8 and higher - or am I just wasting the fire chance?

Thanks in advance for your help!

[WHARF]
Members
249 posts
17,454 battles
21 minutes ago, ddoubletapp1 said:

I've been enjoying it - its a ship that I'd describe as "balanced".  I've had some good matches, especially in tier ten - when I've had little attention applied to my HP pool - and have quietly picked away at a reasonable total damage - and I've had matches where I've pushed a cap while backing up a DD - been focused and sent back to port by two top tier BBs focusing me with a single salvo each.

Balanced.

However - I'm currently using a skipper I began on Exeter - he's at 19 points - but still spec'ed for IFHE.

Is this a recommended skill at T8 and higher - or am I just wasting the fire chance?

still good if you ask me

Members
2,947 posts
36,754 battles
17 minutes ago, ddoubletapp1 said:

Balanced.

What is the caliber of the cruiser? Because IFHE affects the HE pen. Depending on main gun caliber, you can destroy gun turrets of same tier cruisers because most as a rule, only have turret face armor equivalent of the gun caliber or less on the sides of those turrets.

To fully test this try hitting the cruisers you typically attack in the training room and with that 19 point commander, see what it does.

If the IFHE busts turrets consistently and you manage to perfect this technique, then you might have a very useful captain there.

It costs you nothing to try it in training room. If it don't work, then that answers your question about respec.

Members
4,364 posts
11,269 battles

Albemarle has 203s with quarter pen, so your HE pen is 50mm without/65mm with (which crosses some cruiser turret and battleship secondary plating at that tier, as well as a few other armor plates on some cruisers in your MM spread, particularly at t7). Basically the same values as Hindy or Azuma/Yoshino. Potentially worthwhile in competitive since it pens a lot of the Kremlin plating that would otherwise shatter your shells, but you’d get more benefit in randoms where you can see a lot of the t6/7 platings that IFHE lets you pen.

Once you get to the the 234s (which don’t start until Drake, plus Cheshire at t8), you pen 58 without/76 with, which pens every battleship deck in the game except FdG’s 80mm main deck. Once you account for the further reduced fire chance the IFHE rework will give by using it, your fire chance will drop significantly but you’ll probably still get more out of being able to pen substantial parts of battleship armor rather than relying on setting fires.

[MINVY]
[MINVY]
Members
743 posts
6,688 battles

Is the mid deck on 1 or 2 BB really worth a 4 pt skill? Seems a waste to me.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,990 posts
5,814 battles
54 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Albemarle has 203s with quarter pen, so your HE pen is 50mm without/65mm with (which crosses some cruiser turret and battleship secondary plating at that tier, as well as a few other armor plates on some cruisers in your MM spread, particularly at t7). Basically the same values as Hindy or Azuma/Yoshino. Potentially worthwhile in competitive since it pens a lot of the Kremlin plating that would otherwise shatter your shells, but you’d get more benefit in randoms where you can see a lot of the t6/7 platings that IFHE lets you pen.

Once you get to the the 234s (which don’t start until Drake, plus Cheshire at t8), you pen 58 without/76 with, which pens every battleship deck in the game except FdG’s 80mm main deck. Once you account for the further reduced fire chance the IFHE rework will give by using it, your fire chance will drop significantly but you’ll probably still get more out of being able to pen substantial parts of battleship armor rather than relying on setting fires.

Albemarle and the lower tier RN CAs uses the 1/6 th pen rules. The 203s have 33mm without IFHE and 44mm with it. Only the 234s get 1/4 pen.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles
On 2/22/2020 at 1:29 PM, Super_Dreadnought said:

Albemarle and the lower tier RN CAs uses the 1/6 th pen rules. The 203s have 33mm without IFHE and 44mm with it. Only the 234s get 1/4 pen.

Correct.  Typically the normal 203mm CA guns don't need IFHE at all.  Not even IFHE will let them pen 50mm armor.  Only the German 203 / 210mm HE can for this gun size, and they don't need IFHE to do it.

The big question is if IFHE is worth it for Tier IX-X in the RN CA Line.  Default HE Pen is 58mm, so you'll even chew up Yamato-class decks.  But the IX-X RU BBs got 60mm deck armor.  IFHE on those 234mm guns will let you HE Pen them anywhere but the thickest armor:  Armor Belt, Main Battery Turrets.  Everywhere else is free real estate.  But IFHE for the sake of 2 targets is a very heavy investment.

How much do you hate those Tier IX-X RU BBs?  Do you really want to HE Pen them all over the place as if they were armored like a RN or FR BB?  How often do you see them to make use of those 4pts from IFHE?

There is also the matter that the upcoming changes will alter IFHE with a hefty 50% Fire Chance reduction.  These shells by default have 24% Fire Chance, so the upcoming IFHE, if taken, would reduce that to 12%.  That Fire Chance may look fine for something like 203mm guns, but those guns typically shoot faster.  The RN 234mm guns shoot a lot slower.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Sign in to follow this