Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Usedcarjock

Unfun vs Overpowered

16 comments in this topic

[-TKS-]
Members
1,044 posts
8,547 battles

There’s a distinct difference between these two descriptions, and I think it’s a good idea to provide at least my perspective on what label should be applied to ships. For example, lets take two very popular and controversial ships: Smolensk, and Georgia. 

An Unfun ship is something that stat wise isn’t overperforming by a considerable metric, or does not boost ones abilities by a considerable amount. However, despite this playing against this sort of ship drives the player under fire to lose their minds. The former is what I would classify as an unfun ship. Smolensk is not OP, and the statistics show. What she is though, is one of the most infuriating ships to play against in the game. A good player will ruin the enemy team’s experience under a hail of HE shells, and a good player will be almost invulnerable to fire if in smoke. It’s killable, and there are those who do NOT play it well, see the Smolensks who die in smoke due to torpedos, but those that do play it well will create a toxic environment to play in.

Now let‘s shift over to the other side, OP ships. I would argue that Georgia is OP. She has very accurate 457 mm guns, she has fantastic secondaries, has a quick heal, and is very fast, providing a combination that is very lethal in good hands. The difference is Georgia doesn’t feel Unfun to play against, at least in my perspective. As strong as she is, she melts under pressure and as much as people insist she is a “brawler” you cannot charge into a brawl without proper angling and expect to get out alive. You can get punished in Georgia if you make mistakes. So while it’s OP, it doesn’t leave the player feeling helpless.

Now of course one could point out that Tier VII ships would consider Georgia Unfun to play against, and I agree. Then again, wouldn’t a Tier V ship find an Atlanta Unfun to play against, or a Flint?

The point is, I see a lot of people mistaking what’s an OP ship, and what’s an unfun ship, and while both are not healthy for the game, I’d take fighting an OP ship I have a chance against, versus an unfun ship that ruins my experience for the day.

• Cool 7
  • Funny 1

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,598 posts
10,459 battles

That is a pretty good assessment.  One provides more wins, and one provides aggravation for the enemy.  Anything that provides aggravation to the player base is not necessarily good for the game.

• Cool 1

[-TKS-]
Members
1,044 posts
8,547 battles
3 minutes ago, Murcc said:

That is a pretty good assessment.  One provides more wins, and one provides aggravation for the enemy.  Anything that provides aggravation to the player base is not necessarily good for the game.

Correct. Of course another thing to point out is some ships are more Unfun to some ships than others. An Asashio is more Unfun To play against for a bb than a cruiser or destroyer. A cv is more unfun to play against in a dd than a bb.

[-CK-]
Members
854 posts
16,470 battles

Good way of pointing this out!. Another ship that is not OP but in good hands wrecks havoc is the French Tier8 cruiser Bayard. I score over 100,000 per game in her and love the ship. But If I make a mistake with her she gets wrecked easy.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
10,277 posts
17,433 battles

They are mostly all fun in Co op, but not the Hawkins. Random battles are where the unfun starts.

• Cool 1

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,562 posts
11,136 battles
21 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

An Unfun ship is something that stat wise isn’t overperforming by a considerable metric, or does not boost ones abilities by a considerable amount. However, despite this playing against this sort of ship drives the player under fire to lose their minds. The former is what I would classify as an unfun ship. Smolensk is not OP, and the statistics show. What she is though, is one of the most infuriating ships to play against in the game. A good player will ruin the enemy team’s experience under a hail of HE shells, and a good player will be almost invulnerable to fire if in smoke. It’s killable, and there are those who do NOT play it well, see the Smolensks who die in smoke due to torpedos, but those that do play it well will create a toxic environment to play in.

I totally agree with this and what makes it worse is a lot people play the ship . When there are 2 or more well played maybe in a division Smolensk on one side your in for a rough game .

[-TKS-]
Members
1,044 posts
8,547 battles
17 minutes ago, clammboy said:

I totally agree with this and what makes it worse is a lot people play the ship . When there are 2 or more well played maybe in a division Smolensk on one side your in for a rough game .

More or less. The ship being removed from the shop won’t change there being at least one Smolensk in every tier X game.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,562 posts
11,136 battles
4 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

More or less. The ship being removed from the shop won’t change there being at least one Smolensk in every tier X game.

One is cool but there kind of like CVs if there's more than one they can be very annoying  to deal with .

Edited by clammboy

[-TKS-]
Members
1,044 posts
8,547 battles
2 minutes ago, clammboy said:

One is cool but there kind of like CVs if there's more than one they can be very annoying  to deal with .

And that I can agree with. One cv max a team ESPECIALLY at tier IV would go a long way to smooth out matches in that regard.

Members
2,773 posts
36,481 battles

I have yet to get a Smolensk. But due to its controversy I would rather have another ship choice to get anyway.

Since I occasionally play CVs, I already know the implications of making DDs unhappy.

I wonder if having a villainous ship or ship type has stoked players' desires to pinata such ships?

I guess some players like being the villain.

I play all ship types and from that perspective, I fully understand that balance is a key component in game play.

A match should be determined by a player's skills and not a ship.

[WORX]
Members
10,594 posts
18,494 battles

Wait till 0.9.2 drops...

The gap between OP/over-Capable ships and ships that will suffer from power creep... Will be so noticeable, it will make high tier games the must worst gaming experience in the game.

I am not liking the math stacking to one ship Class favor...

• Cool 1

Members
1,581 posts
24,995 battles

I'm thinking of adding Smolensk specifically to my signature line.... It's just ridiculous with its rate of fire and trajectory....

Oh well, can't complain too much when a free-to-play game actually encourages you to NOT spend money on it...

[AAA]
Members
447 posts
14,984 battles

When I think of what "unfun v. overpowered" means I think in the context of DDs being harassed by griefing, overpowered rocket planes against which the DD has no recourse, making DD play unfun.

• Boring 1

[VCRUZ]
Members
4,049 posts
9,180 battles

IMO, a OP ship is a ship that has much more pros than cons. Not all OP ships are unfun to play against. And many balanced ships can be unfun to face. As OP pointed out not necessairly they are the same thing. 

Smolensk for a example i consider a OP and unfun ship to play. OP because of the insane RoF, troll armor and smoke. He has a very easy time punishing ships, while being very hard to punish in return.

Georgia on the other hand, is OP but not necessairly unfun to face. OP because of the great main gun accuracy plus great secundaries and great set of consumables makes a ship with too many tools. But still have most of other BB weakness. You can punish a Georgia the same way you can punish other BBs. 

Members
1,581 posts
24,995 battles

"Unfun" figures a lot in this vid, though he's talking about WG's decision to make the same guns do different things depending upon which ship they're on....

Love his passion!

Members
829 posts
5,746 battles

I agree for the most part but Smol can be pretty fun when the smoke runs out and you’re having to dodge hundreds of shells. But yeah, the sit in smoke and pew pew thing isn’t super dynamic.

Sign in to follow this