You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Zath

Help me choose our replay analysis lineup for this weekend!

11 comments in this topic

[-K-]
SuperTest Coordinator, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
5,910 posts
21,110 battles

It's that time again! Vote for replays and come join us from 12-5pm CST on Sunday!  If you stick around, you might win prizes and can even get your replay covered :).
https://forms.gle/Hv5BbjPrXTNvxPek6

twitch.tv/lord_zath

• Cool 1

Members
50 posts
2,119 battles

Voted for a few of the lower ones as I'm working up the cruiser lines (just upgraded the Aoba, mostly getting used to it in CoOp) and not trying to rush into tier X.  That and don't see many Wichita videos out there :)

[-K-]
5,910 posts
21,110 battles
8 hours ago, RedClaw_II said:

Voted for a few of the lower ones as I'm working up the cruiser lines (just upgraded the Aoba, mostly getting used to it in CoOp) and not trying to rush into tier X.  That and don't see many Wichita videos out there :)

Great!  Thanks for your input!

Members
246 posts
310 battles

Public voting for videos with no descriptors seems pointless.

The interests of those who submit videos and those who might want to watch those videos do not converge. Ideally, we want to vote on the most entertaining ones, but since there is no way of knowing which is which, you might as well just do a random lottery draw.

Also, having watched a few streams in the past, half of your content ends up being videos from people in your own clan basically showing off, despite there being plenty other user submitted videos, which defeats the stated mission of your channel.

So, pass.

Edited by KosmicRavioli
  • Confused 1

[-K-]
5,910 posts
21,110 battles
16 minutes ago, KosmicRavioli said:

Public voting for videos with no descriptors seems pointless.

The interests of those who submit videos and those who might want to watch those videos do not converge. Ideally, we want to vote on the most entertaining ones, but since there is no way of knowing which is which, you might as well just do a random lottery draw.

Also, having watched a few streams in the past, half of your content ends up being videos from people in your own clan basically showing off, despite there being plenty other user submitted videos, which defeats the stated mission of your channel.

So, pass.

First off...  while I could post descriptions of the players and what the player sent in the email, doesn't that also defeat the purpose?  Wouldn't we just end up with "known" players getting all the votes with descriptions like "250k kraken check out this zomg amazing game I had?"  Voting for ships allows me to pick replays for ships people are most interested in learning about.  Maybe that's a great game and we can discuss what's so great about it while still finding opportunities to improve.  Or maybe it's a poor game and we can discuss what didn't work and why.  Either way, people are choosing ships they WANT to see...  just like the poster above.

Second, I'm confused how "half" my content is people in my own clan.  Last I checked, @destawaits, @Leopard_IX, @Your_SAT_Score, and @Ensign_Cthulhu are not in -K-.  

However, thanks for your feedback.  

• Cool 1

Members
246 posts
310 battles
2 hours ago, Lord_Zath said:

First off...  while I could post descriptions of the players and what the player sent in the email, doesn't that also defeat the purpose?  Wouldn't we just end up with "known" players getting all the votes with descriptions like "250k kraken check out this zomg amazing game I had?"  Voting for ships allows me to pick replays for ships people are most interested in learning about.  Maybe that's a great game and we can discuss what's so great about it while still finding opportunities to improve.  Or maybe it's a poor game and we can discuss what didn't work and why.  Either way, people are choosing ships they WANT to see...  just like the poster above.

Second, I'm confused how "half" my content is people in my own clan.  Last I checked, @destawaits, @Leopard_IX, @Your_SAT_Score, and @Ensign_Cthulhu are not in -K-.  

However, thanks for your feedback.  

My point is that there shouldn't be voting at all when it comes to user replays; you should just pick the ones that might provide the more interesting learning opportunities.
You can, however, have voting for what ships to review and provide playstyle information about, if the objective is to help people learn about ships. Because the first one is highly subjective and user-specific, while the latter can be applied on a more general basis for a wider variety of players.

As for your second point; I have seen, first hand, in multiple occasions, you tell people that you will get to their replays "if there's time" or skip over submitted replays due to lack of time while featuring three replays from people in your own clan who come into voice chat to talk about it.
Maybe I just happened to catch those particular streams due to sheer coincidence and that's not how you normally do things. I'm just relaying my experience and what I've seen.

I mean whatever, it's your channel, do whatever you want. You don't owe me an explanation.

Edited by KosmicRavioli

[-K-]
5,910 posts
21,110 battles
12 minutes ago, KosmicRavioli said:

My point is that there shouldn't be voting at all when it comes to user replays; you should just pick the ones that might provide the more interesting learning opportunities.
 You can, however, have voting for what ships to review and provide playstyle information about, if the objective is to help people learn about ships. Because the first one is highly subjective and user-specific, while the latter can be applied on a more general basis for a wider variety of players.

As for your second point; I have seen, first hand, in multiple occasions, you tell people that you will get to their replays "if there's time" or skip over submitted replays due to lack of time while featuring three replays from people in your own clan who come into voice chat to talk about it.
Maybe I just happened to catch those particular streams due to sheer coincidence and that's not how you normally do things. I'm just relaying my experience and what I've seen.

I mean whatever, it's your channel, do whatever you want. You don't owe me an explanation.

So how do I pick the ones that might provide learning opportunities?  Am I supposed to preview each replay that's submitted to me and pick that way?  Sorry, but I don't have time to preview the 23 replays I have so far while also playing the game myself.  Do I go by what people said in their e-mail?  Again, we return to the "Zath check out my epic game!" description.  I actually DON'T want to know about the game at all.  I don't want to know someone wins or loses.  I don't want to know the damage dealt, kills, achievements, etc.  I want to experience the game just as the player did, because I'm able to provide my own insights as I view it.  So we come back to choosing ships.  I like allowing people to put in their input.  For example, I already have 28 responses.  Despite having THREE Des Moines games, I only have 2 votes for it.  Probably because every stream I cover at least one DM game and people are getting tired of the ship (I am, too!).  So now the community has a voice.  What's so wrong with that?  

One of my favorite experiences was at Anchors Away Anaheim...  a player told me he submitted his best ever game to me and thought he did everything right.  In the process of watching me talk through his game, he realized that there were plenty of things he did right and also plenty of things he did wrong.  It was still a learning experience.  If I had ignored his "Zath check out my epic game!" e-mail, I couldn't have given him the feedback that ultimately helped his game.  

I'm honestly not sure how to respond to your 2nd point.  Once again, I do not differentiate replays prior to running them on stream.  Therefore, I do not know what replay belongs to whom prior to loading them up.  Unless people in chat would like to view a specific replay or a specific person's replay, I have no way of knowing who we're watching.  And yes, I typically run out of time because by 5:15pm I have an increasingly angry wife glaring at me because we have 1 hour and 15 minutes to make dinner before Clan Battles start.  So I've instituted a new feature on my channel using Twitch's "Channel Points."  Viewers can redeem "COVER MY REPLAY" for 10,000 points and I'll guarantee covering their replay before the end of the stream.  I'd love to see links to these "multiple occasions" you speak of.  

• Cool 1

[A-I-M]
Members
3,016 posts
22,130 battles

Woot, I can probably make the Twitch tomorrow. 

Miss you on the WoWS podcast. A shame its defunct. 

• Cool 1

[-K-]
5,910 posts
21,110 battles
2 minutes ago, Pugilistic said:

Woot, I can probably make the Twitch tomorrow. 

Miss you on the WoWS podcast. A shame its defunct. 

Perhaps one day the podcast will be reborn!

• Cool 1

[A-I-M]
Members
3,016 posts
22,130 battles
3 minutes ago, Lord_Zath said:

Perhaps one day the podcast will be reborn!

One can but hope. The discussions were interesting, insightful and useful, and often entertaining. 

I am widowed and got off early on Fridays; my routine was to hit the deli for soup and a salad or sandwich and listen to the podcast. 

Edited by Pugilistic