You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

Hawkins Armor Model

17 comments in this topic

[CNO]
Members
5,306 posts
16,655 battles

I don't study T5 CA armor profiles much...I just figure they are all pretty much overmatched by my big BB guns.  So, I just ran up on one in my WVA...my 16 INCH WVA, and was getting ricochet after ricochet...I'm thinking...what is this.  So, I go look at the armor model and it's like OMG...better than T8.  What gives?  That ship is stacked.

Comments?

[-AGW-]
Members
956 posts
12,615 battles

Huh? I don't seem to have any trouble with my Emile Bertain AP.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
3,877 posts
4,156 battles
Just now, NashW8 said:

Huh? I don't seem to have any trouble with my Emile Bertain AP.

If the Hawkins player knows how to angle it will bounce Yamato AP.  Your Emile Bertin AP stands no chance in that situation.

Hawkins excels at kiting away.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,336 posts
18,127 battles

My t8 bounced 3 front gun Yammy salvos under 5 km...

10 games later,  I'm kiting a freddie and get blapped by another t8 British hvy ca from 12 km I didn't notice he had my broadside.....

[-AGW-]
Members
956 posts
12,615 battles
7 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

I have only played in once in that situation, but you are correct.

[SUCIT]
Members
744 posts
16,579 battles
15 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I don't study T5 CA armor profiles much...I just figure they are all pretty much overmatched by my big BB guns.  So, I just ran up on one in my WVA...my 16 INCH WVA, and was getting ricochet after ricochet...I'm thinking...what is this.  So, I go look at the armor model and it's like OMG...better than T8.  What gives?  That ship is stacked.

Comments?

its very tanky for a T5 cruiser (or any cruiser in the game) However, if you try to get more than three guns on target, instant citadel

Members
2,569 posts
7,608 battles
16 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Comments?

Hawkins, Devonshire, Albemarle and others are "squishy" enough when hit by a BB salvo to their broadside.
I've been "deleted" more than a few times.  :-D

Getting the armor angled properly is important, but it won't necessarily save someone from a lucky hit.  :-)

[NSF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,300 posts
8,978 battles

All it has is armor, the guns are trash and un-angling even slightly results in deletion.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,168 posts
13,352 battles
1 hour ago, Helstrem said:

If the Hawkins player knows how to angle it will bounce Yamato AP.  Your Emile Bertin AP stands no chance in that situation.

And ironically at bobbing & weaving even though the rudder shift is measured with a sand glass.

Edited by BrushWolf
  • Cool 1

Members
744 posts
29,528 battles

If the Hawkins angles well, then get the shells to hit the gun turrets. You will knock out enough to render it useless.

I don't have the armor model in front of me because I am out sick. Can't rely on hospital to get me a reliable connection.

But I do remember the general emphasis on design.

The heavy cruisers are more reinforced at the area around the turrets, a strip at the bow, and are thinnest at the smokestack section.

Since your target is angled, the best part of penetration would be the turret itself, the part of the bow not protected by the torpedo protection. The torpedo protection runs a band from fore to aft of turrets, but doesn't protect a certain area just in front of the first turret.

Basically, the fewer layers you go in the less interference with penetration. The torpedo bulkhead will change the penetration.

I also found that at long range, aiming higher above waterline sends the shell into the thinnest part of the bulkhead and you will have very interesting results.

Most torpedo bulkheads are at their thickest at waterline, become thinner further up the sides and are also thinnest below waterline. Look for the paint line. Hit below that line. Most ships expose that line as the ship moves up and down in the water. Time it to hit below and it's fatal.

I recommend practice of this in training room, so you can establish a shooting rhythm for timing purposes.

Once mastered, it would not be uncommon to get multiple citadels.

WV is a good ship, she is not fast but she can hit from far away.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,357 posts
13,406 battles

Fortunately if the Hawkins is angled enough to autobounce you with his distributed armor he's only able to shoot back with 2 (trashy) guns with 14s reload. Eventually he'll turn to get some more guns and then the battleship-grade 9.2s (lol...) rudder shift will prove telling.

[DRAH]
Members
239 posts
7,559 battles
4 hours ago, tfcas119 said:

its very tanky for a T5 cruiser (or any cruiser in the game) However, if you try to get more than three guns on target, instant citadel

exactly, open up to get a better broadside and get insta-deleted. Makes it a very frustrating ship to play as 3 guns is pitiful damage.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
3,877 posts
4,156 battles
4 hours ago, tfcas119 said:

2 hours ago, mofton said:

Fortunately if the Hawkins is angled enough to autobounce you with his distributed armor he's only able to shoot back with 2 (trashy) guns with 14s reload. Eventually he'll turn to get some more guns and then the battleship-grade 9.2s (lol...) rudder shift will prove telling.

When kiting away you can have four guns on target.

And what is with this forum's calling ships "he"?

Edited by Helstrem

Members
276 posts
4,786 battles

I love the Hawkins in Co-Op for tier 5, it's a sleeper capable of top place almost every time.

PS: Im keeping it forever, no need to get any of the other tiers lol

Edited by MudRaker227

[R-F]
Members
91 posts
8,003 battles

It has actually some of the best plating for a tier 5 cruiser so if its angles enough it can pretty much bounce everything.

151421060_Screenshot(675).thumb.png.678331b47a18f7536bd3784d01c996af.png

[LSNB]
[LSNB]
Members
1,323 posts
3,959 battles

When I played my first Hawkins randbats game and tanked a Revolutsiya, I was like, this ship is a weird

Then I sunk her with the high-alpha torpedo gimmick.

Edited by destawaits

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,357 posts
13,406 battles
8 hours ago, Helstrem said:

When kiting away you can have four guns on target.

And what is with this forum's calling ships "he"?

Ohh 4 guns? The short range of T5 cruisers doesn't really help much either.

I was more channeling the gender (assumed) of the driver than the ship.