You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Jungol

Anybody wanna buy an Iowa?

26 comments in this topic

Members
55 posts
10,261 battles

I've had it 2 days and I'm already regretting not getting the Yugumo..

I researched enough to expect the very piggish turn rate..but what I can't fathom is how it seems to be LESS accurate for me than the NC. I figure if i'm gonna get deleted by Kremlins I should at least be able to hit them back..

CV Rework has forced to make a bad decision; any helpful advice would be appreciated

[WORX]
Members
10,594 posts
18,494 battles
5 minutes ago, Jungol said:

I researched enough to expect the very piggish turn rate..but what I can't fathom is how it seems to be LESS accurate for me than the NC. I figure if i'm gonna get deleted by Kremlins I should at least be able to hit them back..

CV Rework has forced to make a bad decision; any helpful advice would be appreciated

High Tier gaming is like entering the twilight zone

[TBW]
Members
10,277 posts
17,456 battles
15 minutes ago, Jungol said:

Are you running Artillery Plotting Room Mod 2?

shot-20_02.21_17_26.38-0363.thumb.jpg.65057882c0459d0b15c06eb976beb4a1.jpg

[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator
2,907 posts
15,245 battles

is your Iowa "naked" ???? not fully upgrade with B hull and such

you only play her for 7 battles and won 1. You rush to high tier too quick, check your battles count

best is to stop, go back to lower tier and practice

Also keep in mind at high tier, you are facing players who will be better then you, who had more knowledge then you and who will be more skills then you. Battle them take extra concentration

Members
55 posts
10,261 battles
2 minutes ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

you only play her for 7 battles and won 1. You rush to high tier too quick, check your battles count

Also keep in mind at high tier, you are facing players who will be better then you, who had more knowledge then you and who will be more skills then you. Battle them take extra concentration

yes it is stock, and without the plotting room 2 mod...so i think we have found some of the problems ....

I play in high tiers some ..mostly in dd's

[TSG4B]
Volunteer Moderator
2,907 posts
15,245 battles
Just now, Jungol said:

I play in high tiers some ..mostly in dd's

Disclaimer: this is not picking on you or your stats

play Iowa equal or more to the amount of battles you did in your NC, fully upgraded her and think back about your post today

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts

Shell flight changes from NC to Iowa, give it a chance.

Hull C upgrades rudder also.

Members
848 posts
5,930 battles

Practice will help you get better, and enjoy ships more. Also it seems you're not that used to battleships, so just keep that in mind. Iowa is fast but has a massive turning circle (I think it's a little bigger / slower in the turn than it should be). A losing streak with your new ship is demoralising, but power through it, practice a little in Co-Op or Training rooms a little.

Members
55 posts
10,261 battles
12 minutes ago, ObiphanKenobi said:

play Iowa equal or more to the amount of battles you did in your NC, fully upgraded her and think back about your post today 

Ok ..fair enough 

[WPORT]
Members
5,370 posts
10,403 battles

"Try Everything".  :-)

[ALWC]
Members
1,179 posts
13,943 battles

Sound advise already in this thread. 

I hated Iowa and Mo. My first 3 lines were USN dd, ca, and bbs. I wasn’t ready for the high tier bb play and the change in shell fight from NC. It took some time to adjust to the flight time and realize Artillery Plot Room 2 is essential. 

However I learned my biggest problem in Iowa especially coming up the USN bb line without other bb line experience is that Iowa does 33 knots. My first 20 or so games I over extended very early in the match got focused and died. In the Colorado you throw the hammer down and hope to get there. In the Iowa if you aren’t careful you out run your cruisers and dds. 

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
5,370 posts
10,403 battles
4 minutes ago, wstugamd said:

...However I learned my biggest problem in Iowa especially coming up the USN bb line without other bb line experience is that Iowa does 33 knots. My first 20 or so games I over extended very early in the match got focused and died. In the Colorado you throw the hammer down and hope to get there. In the Iowa if you aren’t careful you out run your cruisers and dds. 

Yeah.  That speed is something one learns about in the IJN line with ships like Kongo or German ships like Gneisenau, Scharnhorst, Bismarck & Tirpitz.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,019 posts
11,550 battles

Trust me - Iowa is the better buy right now. Yugumo's torps were already inferior to same tier counterparts due to spotting range nerf making them that much harder to get a hit with, and their slower reload, etc. Add in that new upgrade setting the spotting range at 1.8 km forget it, anyone that fails to dodge that is oblivious or having tech issues (case in point game didn't load right so wasn't seeing torps right in my Bis that has it).

I DESPISED Iowa when I first got it. Once you upgrade it, get used to the differences, etc - it's a solid boat. 

Edited by WanderingGhost

[UN1]
Members
1,209 posts
3,633 battles

Keep in mind, too, that the Iowa is one of the three original T9 "Hell Level" BB's (along with the Izumo and FdG).  They were intentionally hamstrung and hard to play as the real prize is the respective T10 BB you're grinding for.  There's a reason they've all been buffed considerably since release.

Everything you're frustrated with in the Iowa is fixed with the Montana, and then some.

[KAPPA]
Members
1,339 posts
7,483 battles
On 2/21/2020 at 7:08 PM, wstugamd said:

However I learned my biggest problem in Iowa especially coming up the USN bb line without other bb line experience is that Iowa does 33 knots. My first 20 or so games I over extended very early in the match got focused and died. In the Colorado you throw the hammer down and hope to get there. In the Iowa if you aren’t careful you out run your cruisers and dds. 

Easily the most important lesson to learn on Iowa, MO, and especially Georgia. I even did the IJN BBs first (because Yamato) and the speed difference was enough to throw me off at first. On the other hand, I ended up much more prepared for when I went down the French BB line. The funny part is, once you get used to the speed, you start missing it in certain circumstances when you run other lines that don't quite match it.

[_S_B_]
Members
477 posts
17,706 battles
On 2/21/2020 at 5:11 PM, Jungol said:

I had the same issues with her as she turns like a slug and eats torpedoes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. About halfway thru I free xp'd to the Montana and love her!!!! Get rid of Iowa as soon as you can. In 4 ranked battles yesterday 3-1 my Montana did 205K, 190K, 150K and 130K damage. I'm an average player with a 50% + winrate too. I have three T10 BBs and Montana is my favorite plus guns are very accurate.

Edited by dust340man

[ALWC]
Members
1,179 posts
13,943 battles
On 2/25/2020 at 10:18 AM, CaptHarlock_222 said:

Easily the most important lesson to learn on Iowa, MO, and especially Georgia. I even did the IJN BBs first (because Yamato) and the speed difference was enough to throw me off at first. On the other hand, I ended up much more prepared for when I went down the French BB line. The funny part is, once you get used to the speed, you start missing it in certain circumstances when you run other lines that don't quite match it.

Georgia still gets me into trouble. I play it like a flanking battlecruiser and expect my secondaries to deal with dds. I try to wait for the flow of the match to be determined before turning on the jets. I have had some epic games where I carried the team and games where I burned out before the speed boost gave up 

Members
163 posts
4,405 battles

It's frustrating, but don't judge any bote until it is fully upgraded and the captain is trained.  I sold a Freidrich der Grosse prematurely; it was a dumb mistake.

[QCM]
Members
99 posts
7,227 battles

I just got the Iowa and I know I have a learning curve ahead of me, but JeezeLouise.....this thing is a tinderbox. It seems like every shell that hits me sets me on fire.  Now, one thing that comes to mind is that historically, American ships are pretty battle worthy (Except in wg's view).  I mean, the damage control of these ships have a pretty good reputation.  'Somehow' I got the dumb idea that the Iowa was gonna be a stout ship.   I have not really set up the modules yet, because I need to take out a mortgage loan to finance the mods (lol).  Anyway, I just thought I'd ask you guys for  your ideas and suggestions.  Thanks in advance.

Respects,

RockChunker

[META_]
Members
1,205 posts
16,006 battles

I'm just now getting out of the cellar with my Iowa, bought her well before I was ready. But my last 30-50games in her have gotten me slightly above average in numbers by wows Stat page average. The current cv meta is helping her catch musashi and other tier 9 BBs in value..... I push up to 12-14 km from closest red ship.. So I can disappear when I need to heal. It makes me a target which is what a BB is(punching bag) at that distance I get potential damage, I give aa to my team(dds) because I'm Center of attention. The reason iowa and musashi play this role differently. Iowa I am not as durable but have really good aa, musashi I push up the same but am a aa liability... So if there isn't a cv musashi is much stronger than Iowa in my eyes.. With a cv Iowa can have the upper hand as team synergy. If your side wins you can press the other side much faster than a misplayed musashi, which takes A long time to reposition. The reason I compare her to the musashi is first I love her also, lol... But to me she's the gold standard tier 9 battleship along with Mizu which is an Iowa with radar. Happy hunting Captain 😎 

Members
55 posts
10,261 battles

Have to say once i got the the apparently essential Plotting Room module 2 and adjusted my play and aiming a little its a much better experience...

Plus i'm more motivated to play once I visited her sister20200508_130843.thumb.jpg.80b1b95c9a64e2e38140e69647bea7a0.jpg

Members
103 posts
2,727 battles
On 5/17/2020 at 12:39 AM, Jungol said:

20200508_130843.thumb.jpg.80b1b95c9a64e2e38140e69647bea7a0.jpg

Ahhhhh.... the Long One :cap_win:

[KRAK]
Members
1,349 posts
15,224 battles

Iowa accuracy has been improved. In last 3 random games, have sank 7 ships. One BB took 26K in one salvo at 19 km range, sank. Another BB said they could believe the two CITs I got on them.

[SCREW]
Members
364 posts
16,806 battles
On 2/21/2020 at 6:31 PM, ObiphanKenobi said:

This right here is typically what happens. Newer players get a bunch of premium time and special flags and camps and whatnot and progress up the tech tree far faster than they should, not learning anything as they go and just failing their way through. 

That said, you don't need to go back down the tiers to learn how it play the Iowa. Frankly, it would be pointless, since the Iowa plays very different from the new york and the colorado, and even the North Carolina. It's not a bow in all the time ship, but you can't show broadside all the time either. You have to balance it, constantly swinging that rear turret out to shoot in sync with your opponents reload time. You also can't be too aggressive with it at the start of the game. You have to wait and see what you're up against and what your support is. Sometimes sitting back and taking long range shots is the better option than barreling straight in. And this is something you learn over time as you play this ship. 

You should always take the accuracy mod for slot 6, not the reload mod. Turret traverse is also a good pick over the range mod. I personally take rudder shift, since you really should be moving in a ship this fast, not sitting still or sailing backwards being an easy target. 

• Cool 1