You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BoS_Mud

The Albemarle is a chore to play

25 comments in this topic

[MCGA]
Members
87 posts
10,488 battles

At tier 8 it is a completely under-ranged and slow reloading bore to play. Hopefully some adjustments will come soon, but I have somewhat stopped playing the Brit cruiser line as much because I'm tired of grinding this ship. Please for the love of God increase the range and lower the reload time WG. Thank you.

• Cool 4

Members
6,621 posts
20,603 battles
12 minutes ago, BoS_Mud said:

At tier 8 it is a completely under-ranged and slow reloading bore to play. Hopefully some adjustments will come soon, but I have somewhat stopped playing the Brit cruiser line as much because I'm tired of grinding this ship. Please for the love of God increase the range and lower the reload time WG. Thank you.

If you want hope and a laugh I played it 20 times and had a 30% wr, playing the Drake now and over 80% with 22 games. Just huge swings of luck both good and bad, I'm sure that if I play the Albemarle again, (which I won't for the reasons you mention) I could pop that WR up a bit. But the fun factor is real low, Especially being bottom or mid tier seemingly all the time.

[MCGA]
Members
87 posts
10,488 battles

Yep, I want to get past it, but I dont want to put the time in to get past it. Just sucks the fun out of playing

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,356 posts
15,768 battles

OH so it is not just me lol... 

Still trying to unlock the secret sauce for this boat.

Members
404 posts
3,852 battles

Coop? Get used to getting one-shotted by Tier 9+ BBs from halfway across the map. You see the shots incoming and you cannot move right or left fast enough. All that has to happen is one shell hit you and there goes 80% of your health.

Doesn't matter if you are 15 km away, either. As soon as you're targeted by 3 or more ships you are dead.

I had a Coop game earlier today where a red BB had a green Alabama right in its face (like 2 km or so), but as soon as I opened up from 15 km...it started shooting at me.

Edited by MichiganEagle

[RCNW3]
Members
1,921 posts
18,976 battles

Have the Drake, and after 6 games, 2 wins, 4 losses.  Doing ok on damage, but feels like I struggle to be impactful to the game.  Not really enjoying so far - guess destiny for the British heavies will be Port Queens- much more enjoyable ships to play then these.

Edited by Panzer1113

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,641 posts
34,837 battles

I stopped grinding it at Surrey which is meh. Maybe someday. Not worth spending FXP to bypass as I keep the little FXP I have left to help speed up the one line redo I am currently in.

Have London already for doing the special London/Albemarle missions., Will get London doubloons when finished aso it's a decent deal. Rest of the line so far? Underwhelming. Definitely not whelming enough.

[R-F]
[R-F]
Members
704 posts
27,723 battles

Wait till you get to the Goliath. 

My Goliath Review:

Man this ship SUCKS. The worst Tier 10 Cruiser hands down. There is nothing to good to say about this boat except maybe "Don't worry this will all be over quickly".

Don't waste you're time, money or credits. 

[GOBI]
Members
1,083 posts
4,175 battles

None of the RN CA's are front line ships, need to be played further back than other cruisers. Albemarle should be played from within 2k of her max gun range to max range unless the map has a lot of islands you can weave around and remain undetected. I think my win rate is around 66% for this ship, even as bad as I am. It's a much better ship in the last half of a battle than the first half, though how good is debatable. If your looking for high damage numbers look elsewhere. Best used supporting BB's than DD's, you just don't want to be that far forward in most battles unless top tier which is rare. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,652 posts
14,715 battles

The core design of a Neptune hull with terrible handling, bad gun angles and no smoke is as bad as it is lazy.

[WOLFA]
Members
806 posts
6,674 battles

I have a handful of battles in that garbage barge the Hawkins and I think that's a s far as I'm going.

The ship is a dumpster fire so I don't know how you managed to get to the tier 8 but congrats.

Edited by CorradoG60

[FORM]
Members
1,618 posts
11,245 battles
1 hour ago, BoS_Mud said:

At tier 8 it is a completely under-ranged and slow reloading bore to play. Hopefully some adjustments will come soon, but I have somewhat stopped playing the Brit cruiser line as much because I'm tired of grinding this ship. Please for the love of God increase the range and lower the reload time WG. 

Yah, the range and the terrible AP make it a very poor HE lobber. I hated the Hawkins, thought the Devon was solid, the Surrey was pretty meh, but the Albe has been a real chore. I had hopes that "heavy" cruisers would have AP as an option, but nopers. I'm sure the upcoming Russian line of paper ships will though.

24 minutes ago, Frigate007 said:

None of the RN CA's are front line ships, need to be played further back than other cruisers. Albemarle should be played from within 2k of her max gun range to max range unless the map has a lot of islands you can weave around and remain undetected. 

Yup. I have definitely found more success with DefAA than hydro. No point in getting up THAT close to the action if you can get nuked so easily by BBs - which is why I think it is so much better in late game than early, less chance of showing broadside to some ship way off in the distance. And decent enough AA to keep (at least tier 8,) CVs from just beating you endlessly. 

[WOLF4]
Members
382 posts
17,045 battles

The range hurts these ships. Uptiered in the Devonshire today and more of a long range battle. I was being spotted by the dds and cruisers shooting at me and I could not even get close. No spotter plane. ONly 4 battles in the Devon.

The Hawkins I think 1 battle and became a port queen.

The Able at least if not spotted can nija around with concealment and do some torping with the 10k torps  and reposition and fire. The Able is okay, but nothing to brag about.

Members
521 posts
20,079 battles
51 minutes ago, Frigate007 said:

None of the RN CA's are front line ships, need to be played further back than other cruisers. Albemarle should be played from within 2k of her max gun range to max range unless the map has a lot of islands you can weave around and remain undetected. I think my win rate is around 66% for this ship, even as bad as I am. It's a much better ship in the last half of a battle than the first half, though how good is debatable. If your looking for high damage numbers look elsewhere. Best used supporting BB's than DD's, you just don't want to be that far forward in most battles unless top tier which is rare. 

Im playing with her JUST because she is offering 10 tokens for each daily win and that ship is a patience test!

The only thing she has going for her is the amazing concealment of 9.8km that makes some ambushes possible and the reason i didnt give up on those tokens yet.

So tell me... if we dont consider her concealment (and her heal is just to compensate her titanic citadel, combined with poor handling that will be penetrated sooner or later if the ship is active in the battlefield somehow) how is she a better option than other tier VIII ships?

Giving radar for the high tier cruisers would be nice... but their bad DPM will make sure the enemy DDs will survive just fine

Members
6,621 posts
20,603 battles

This line needs a gimmick, reload booster, trading blows and reload time with a Scharnhorst seems silly.

• Cool 1

[NKOTD]
Members
1,036 posts
9,697 battles
2 hours ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

This line needs a gimmick, reload booster, trading blows and reload time with a Scharnhorst seems silly.

I would settle for consistent armor.   it seems like when angled it tanks stuff pretty well... Until it doesn't.

I also think it has one of the easiest to hit  CA citadel's in its tier.

[GOBI]
Members
1,083 posts
4,175 battles

I think what Albemarle needs is more range with flatter trajectory, faster shells  OR a 10 second reload OR faster top speed and faster rudder shift. And one of these would make her a good boat if not under or over done.

Does not need a radar. They could nerf the super heal as it does not much good when this ship is dev struck which happens more than it should. Also need to change the flat stern, to easy to get a citadel through it when trying to kite away in slow motion. As is does not really have much utility in most battles it will see. 

[WOLF4]
Members
382 posts
17,045 battles
36 minutes ago, Frigate007 said:

I think what Albemarle needs is more range with flatter trajectory, faster shells  OR a 10 second reload OR faster top speed and faster rudder shift. And one of these would make her a good boat if not under or over done.

Does not need a radar. They could nerf the super heal as it does not much good when this ship is dev struck which happens more than it should. Also need to change the flat stern, to easy to get a citadel through it when trying to kite away in slow motion. As is does not really have much utility in most battles it will see. 

no the super heal is one of the gimmicks it does have. You don't get rid of it. Sorry if I disagree. The heal will repair quite a bit at times and just need to try and manage them.

Members
2,417 posts
5,339 battles

Sitting on 1.7mil free Xp. Think i might just free xp the entire line. I mean the Goliath is the only ship with 4 turrets. 

[WOLF3]
Members
26,963 posts
23,767 battles

Be very wary if you intend to try and angle against BBs in these later tiers with RN CAs.  You can angle all you want, but if the BB player is smart, he'll try to Overmatch your bow.  Once the BB gets past your thin bow armor, he stands a great chance of striking the forward bulkhead of your citadel.  Go to the Armor Viewer and peel away the bow armor section and you can see a gigantic, tall, and wide forward citadel bulkhead ripe for pillaging.  Albermarle, Drake, Goliath is like this.

On the flip side if you're a BB, aim below the forward most turret and have fun if your guns can Overmatch that particular RN CA's bow.

Albermarle

Vze7Agp.jpg

Drake

mwgQ8Nx.jpg

Goliath

urAZfmy.jpg

If your guns can Overmatch Goliath's upper hull sides / plating that is 30mm, you got a lot more room to strike and get Citadels against and not be so focused on the forward citadel.  You can do the same thing against Albermarle's 25mm plating in that same region.  That is significantly easier to Overmatch than Goliath's 30mm.  Albermarle would suffer much worse from such a hit than it would on Goliath.  Just look at the sheer size of Albermarle's upper parts of the citadel.

Free Real Estate for BB AP.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[INTEL]
Members
13,033 posts
35,943 battles
8 hours ago, MichiganEagle said:

I had a Coop game earlier today where a red BB had a green Alabama right in its face (like 2 km or so), but as soon as I opened up from 15 km...it started shooting at me.

The PvE target selection desperately needs revised. This kind of choicemaking is so common.

[ARRSE]
Members
192 posts
1,401 battles
13 hours ago, MichiganEagle said:

Thats simply an attempt by WG to prepare you for randoms in an RN CA:

- get spotted leaving spawn (because CV)

- priority target kindly informs you that 7 enemies have you targeted (because XP pinata)

- receive three crits from a BB that is so far away that it has yet to be spotted (because your CV has 37% WR)

- continue your desperate charge to the nearest rocky island, because you don't have smoke to hide, or the gun range to hit back

and later:

- lose most remaining HP to a torp that you saw coming, but couldn't dodge because the ship steers like a pig

- lose a gun fight with a brazen low tier DD (because low ROF and paper armour)

Edited by Turbogerbil
  • Cool 1