Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
MasterCeltic

Defense of Naval Station Newport

15 comments in this topic

[TOG]
Members
26 posts
6,170 battles

I really, really, really do not like this mission. It's far too difficult to learn for new players and needs a well experienced group to successfully get a win. Using the general Q for this scenario is a massive frustration. Wargaming, adjust it please. 

• Boring 1

[INTEL]
[INTEL]
Members
7,641 posts
34,833 battles

We do not like it at Hoperations either, where we know what we are doing. This one sucks and WG is not interested in retiring it for fixing. Narai they did, the one that we all liked. Go figure.

• Cool 1

Members
3,747 posts
23,248 battles

It requires teamwork and strategy which are the two things lacking in 80% of the current player base.

Can't tell you how many ships charge 1/2 way across map and get blapped by the next spawn. We warn them and they refuse to take advice from experienced players because they think they can play like randoms.

[WOLFO]
Members
536 posts
4,161 battles

brutally tough, true. Just needs a stronger warning, Moderate difficulty. 3rd try we almost aced it. 4th time, horribly over-run.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
454 posts
20,091 battles

I ALWAYS take the week off when Newport is up.  No point wasting flags, camo, and consumables for an Op with such a low win rate.  I play Randoms if I'm chasing XP that week.

But wait, that must be what WG wants me to do.  I'm being manipulated!  :Smile_ohmy:

• Funny 1

Members
1,438 posts
20,188 battles
2 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

I ALWAYS take the week off when Newport is up.  No point wasting flags, camo, and consumables for an Op with such a low win rate.  I play Randoms if I'm chasing XP that week.

But wait, that must be what WG wants me to do.  I'm being manipulated!  :Smile_ohmy:

Can't join people in the in game operations channel or us on the Hoperations Discord?

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
454 posts
20,091 battles
1 hour ago, Lightninger said:

Can't join people in the in game operations channel or us on the Hoperations Discord?

I play a whole lot of solo, but do division up with clan mates from time to time.  But it would be fun to play some Ops with you guys.  How do I get on Hoperations Discord?

Edit:  Just curious, what would you think the win rate is in Newport when the Hoperations guys play?

Edited by Joe_918145
Additional info

Members
1,438 posts
20,188 battles
58 minutes ago, Joe_918145 said:

I play a whole lot of solo, but do division up with clan mates from time to time.  But it would be fun to play some Ops with you guys.  How do I get on Hoperations Discord?

Edit:  Just curious, what would you think the win rate is in Newport when the Hoperations guys play?

I will send you the Discord invite link. And as to your question, are you talking about a full Hoperations division? or individually? partial division? and for win rate, do you mean a full five stars or any win? As in Hoperations, we consider anything less than five stars a loss.

[CVA16]
Members
5,370 posts
16,103 battles

I will have to try and find that Hoperations channel. Newport is unwinnable with a random team now. Often down a ship to the first wave!  Has WG upped the difficulty?  Or has the player base competency declined that much? Seems like one or the other must be true. Used to win (at least one star) more than I lost. Now it is multiple loss' with occasional 1-4 star wins when the stars align.

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
365 posts
18,570 battles

I'm seeing the repair ships derp.. out in their final positions,  more than ever.  Specifically the one that sails around the east side.

Most recently it was 1 in 6 games, guestimate.   Now this week,  I'm seeing it around 50-60%,  maybe more people are trying to use it to heal.  But the problem is,  if you aren't already there,   chasing her down is a PITA... 

[PVE]
Members
551 posts
10,276 battles
20 hours ago, Joe_918145 said:

Significantly below 100% for getting 5-star if I'm playing ;) But seriously, it depends on whether people know how to play their ships, position themselves well. When people bring sub-optimal ships and/or position poorly the change for 5-star go down. Small mistakes can quickly escalate, and it is hard to recover.

[TBCIC]
Members
65 posts
2,614 battles

It's that final bum rush of enemy boats that'll kill any chance of a Victory - in one mission not one of ours was sunk, then the slaughter ensued ... it was hideous.  Most challenging mission of them all. 

[CVA16]
Members
5,370 posts
16,103 battles
15 hours ago, evanr1940 said:

When people bring sub-optimal ships

Which ships do you consider sub optimal? What works in Coop or Randoms may be a poor choice for OPs, especially Newport. I've always considered DDs in general, to be suboptimal in all but expert hands. And certain DDs do much better than others. Anshan is better than most  because it has guns that can citadel,  torpedoes and smoke.

For cruisers, I think most will have trouble making the Italians work.

Might be a topic for a separate thread. Not what YOU can make work, but what you think is a poor choice for the unwashed, unenlightened masses. Worst and best DD, CA/CL, BB and CV.

Edited by Sabot_100

[PVE]
Members
551 posts
10,276 battles
1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

Which ships do you consider sub optimal?

Premise:

Newport is about enemy ships coming towards you bow-on and they need to be killed quickly.

low effective DPM ships are not good choices. Speed helps a lot with getting in a position where you can use your DPM. I don't play Newport often enough to have real favorite ships but I generally use light cruisers or Warspite if I need to take a BB.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,174 posts
9,512 battles
1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

Might be a topic for a separate thread. Not what YOU can make work, but what you think is a poor choice for the unwashed, unenlightened masses. Worst and best DD, CA/CL, BB and CV.

I can only say that for CVs the best and worst are:

Best CV - Ryujo, if and only if the player can fully utilize its torps and dive bombs to its optimal efficiency

Worst CV - Furious

Ranger I would consider as 2nd best due to it's flexible utility being more user friendly.

Ark Royal I would have to place it 3rd, because of it's slow planes and limited utility as the other squads apart from torpedoes are lackluster for the purposes of Newport.

Sign in to follow this