Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hapa_Fodder

Dry Dock: Warship Size Comparison

33 comments in this topic

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
3,524 posts
13,893 battles

Tape measures out! Let's see which are the smallest and biggest Tier X ships in the game!

Read it on the portal
  • Cool 4

[WTAF]
Members
28 posts
8,262 battles

I was wondering where I heard that music before...

Did the "Fishing: Barents Sea" developers give you guys permission to use that track?

Members
2,117 posts
6,338 battles

Thank you that was great gave perspective,:Smile_honoring:

Edited by Raven114

[CRF]
Members
712 posts
7,904 battles

I don't think hardly anyone has had anything but picayune complaints on the work that WG artists do on these models....excellent job!

• Cool 1

[T-S-D]
Members
1 post
11,978 battles

gotta love size of imaginary ships, esspecialy Russians... you cant have BB bigger then Yammato, period. forget about ships that some drunk designer wrote on napkin in a bar.. was it ever got built, no? then size it down..

i can construct Mexican ship 400m long, will you put him in video also??

Edited by Arhandjel
  • Funny 3
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 1

[BTH]
Members
319 posts
16,534 battles
15 minutes ago, Arhandjel said:

gotta love size of imaginary ships, esspecialy Russians... you cant have BB bigger then Yammato, period. forget about ships that some drunk designer wrote on napkin in a bar.. was it ever got built, no? then size it down..

Excuse me, even Iowa is longer than Yamato.

• Cool 1

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,746 posts
21,508 battles

Very nice! Hope you do it for all tiers over time.

[WG]
Administrator
162 posts
484 battles

I've always loved videos like this. Every time we go to an AAT event on a carrier, I'm always blown away about the size difference between the CVN I served on, and the CVs of old.

[CRF]
Members
712 posts
7,904 battles
1 hour ago, Arhandjel said:

no sh*t, but i have a client who wants us to design him a 3200-ft hospital ship (down from 18,000-ft ship).  we have to talk him down to a reasonable size.....

and no, he isn't a Russian

Edited by sonoasailor

Members
6,112 posts
7,422 battles

Was this video inspired by the late dseehafer's threads? He had a whole series about 4 years ago where he compared the sizes of ships. He even had a image that was all ships from T1 to T10, at the time.

Destroyers.

Cruisers.

Battleships.

Aircraft Carriers.

All ships.

Note that these don't include the newer lines, since dseehafer's passing.

Edited by GhostSwordsman
  • Cool 2

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts

WOW that video is really nice! How did you guys at WG make it?

I sort of doubt it's real footage of ships from in-game (given the perfect ordering and spacing). Yet, those ships are clearly from the game (not tweaked to look like real-life) and the ocean effect looks as it is in-game.

[-ARP-]
[-ARP-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,165 posts
4,371 battles
7 hours ago, WendellThrewUp said:

I was wondering where I heard that music before...

Did the "Fishing: Barents Sea" developers give you guys permission to use that track?

That's the dock sound track in game for a few of the different ports here and has been in the game for as long as I can remember. You can even hear it in the missions tab and the Armory tab.

3 hours ago, Arhandjel said:

The real Iowa class of Battleships is indeed 270m long and are longer than the Yamato. Get your head out of your rear.

~Hunter

Members
283 posts
4,794 battles

That was just breathtaking. The modelers and the texture/procedural-substance  makers need to be congratulated on that body of work. The models are just amazing.

It is a great piece of art and a great reference...thanks!!

Members
283 posts
4,794 battles
1 hour ago, henrychenhenry said:

Yet, those ships are clearly from the game (not tweaked to look like real-life) and the ocean effect looks as it is in-game.

The builders have their own "real time rendering machine"...their game engine...and they can set up scenarios and play to their hearts content.

Now I may be all washed up because that would need to be a pretty hefty engine considering the polygon count in those models has to be very high.  The boats might not make more than 1 MPH if they all lined up like that to have a race.

That would be fun to watch...line them all up...put their throttles on full......and film the race. Turn them up on their tales and watch the animated bar graph.

[SYN]
Beta Testers
21 posts
7,092 battles

Really nice, it is interesting to see and beautiful. On a cynical note, A certain RU BB has smaller detection than a smaller Yamato. Ah well, I am sure they took into account the conning tower and the like, :)

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts
32 minutes ago, SPQQKY said:

The builders have their own "real time rendering machine"...their game engine...and they can set up scenarios and play to their hearts content.

Now I may be all washed up because that would need to be a pretty hefty engine considering the polygon count in those models has to be very high.  The boats might not make more than 1 MPH if they all lined up like that to have a race.

That would be fun to watch...line them all up...put their throttles on full......and film the race. Turn them up on their tales and watch the animated bar graph.

Wow! Now I really want to watch that.

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
1,072 posts
3,875 battles

So...the smallest T10 cruiser in size, if I watched it correctly, is Smolensk...hmm...guess being hard to hit adds to its other strengths...

Members
1 post

not historically accurate.

of all the historical photos and film of the Bismark that I have seen I have yet to see antiaircraft guns mounted on her main gun turrets.

this is just the whim of the artists.

Sign in to follow this