You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
PrairiePlayer

Poltava

17 comments in this topic

Members
6,858 posts
15,357 battles

It's never been released and last I knew it was pulled from the release schedule indefinitely. 

• Confused 2

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,136 posts
5,017 battles
Just now, Ducky_shot said:

It's never been released and last I knew it was pulled from the release schedule indefinitely. 

Poltava (tier 7 RU BB) was released back in December. 

Shes one of the reasons I am trying F2P. I got her but never found the cause/motivation to play her. Just bought it and got ready for the next premium to drop. A very poor collectors cycle. Shes pretty simple and basic, and largley outclassed by Sinop. 

[SEOP]
Members
1,555 posts
8,258 battles
5 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

I'm just curious.  Does ANYBODY play that ship?

yeah...I play it on Narai all the time.  Decent boot...although not as good as the Sinop.  I really havent played it much in randoms.  Now that Narai is been axed by WG for...errr...uhhh...reasons...I doubt I'll play it much.  

[-K-]
Members
8,354 posts
14,156 battles

Poltava will likely be one of the ships people hope they don't get in Christmas crates.

Especially since Sinop does almost everything better.

Members
6,858 posts
15,357 battles
7 minutes ago, _BBaby said:

Poltava (tier 7 RU BB) was released back in December. 

Shes one of the reasons I am trying F2P. I got her but never found the cause/motivation to play her. Just bought it and got ready for the next premium to drop. A very poor collectors cycle. Shes pretty simple and basic, and largley outclassed by Sinop. 

Right, mixed up with Slava. Slava originally had a different name and I thought it was poltava.  It was pobeda

Edited by Ducky_shot

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,664 posts
14,760 battles

The fact that WG bothered wasting the modeling resources for this unnecessary (just get Lenin as a trainer...), boring looking 3x3 ABY, no-history piece of rubbish was in my top 5 biggest annoyances of 2019.

At least the WIP Borodino is an interesting design.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,072 posts
23,845 battles

Poltava was released in early December, before the Holiday Puerto Rico Event.

I had a lot of misgivings about the ship even before it's release.  356mm armed BB at Tier VII when the standard was already established by Nagato and Colorado at 2015 with 406mm / 410mm guns, means Poltava to me was behind the power curve.  If your BB is going to be undersized in gun size than what's the norm for the tier, it really needs extra help.  This ship doesn't have anything.  Even for the purpose of PVE which is what I mostly do these days, this ship is found wanting.  Even worse, the same tier the RU BB Line has the amazing Sinop this tier to compete as the "Go To" Russian Battleship for Tier VII, and Poltava just can't stand up to her.

The guns don't look any special.  They're not markedly fast for their size despite their smaller gun size.

It's not fast.

I use my Tier VII BBs quite a bit for Narai, which I expect to return sometime.  Lots of my Battleships are setup for Secondary Spec for the purpose of Narai.  Even my Ashitaka, Colorado, and Nagato are Secondary Spec for that Operation.  Sinop is just a brutal monster.  With her 16" guns, RU BB Dispersion at the ranges this Op takes place in, she's just simply better.

Secondary range is the same between Sinop and Poltava, but Sinop has superior Secondary Battery arrangement, being able to bring in more guns while still being well angled to protect the citadel.

Sinop below.  Note the forward casemate mounted secondaries having good angles.  The dual gun turret secondaries at a lower level in the middle of the ship have grooves to enable a better, wider set of angles.  They also don't interfere with the same kind of turrets mounted on the deck above them.

mcfjEKW.jpg

You can see when angled in she can present a lot of Secondary Battery firepower.  And of course, she'll still be able to fire 2 main battery turrets worth of 406mm x6 power.  Compare that arrangement to Poltava below (image pulled from LWM's review):

title.jpg

It's a very mediocre secondaries setup for my purposes in PVE.  She has a lot of secondary guns but you need to almost show a flat broadside to use a decent number of them.  With the way RU BB armor is, that's no good and invites disaster.

The ship to me offers nothing.  It doesn't compete well compared to The Beast That Is Sinop.  It's not a historical ship.  It doesn't have anything special that it can do.  It simply doesn't do anything for me.

Edit again:  Even KGV and DOY, both 356mm armed BBs this tier, offer more compelling reasons to play 356mm at Tier VII.

KGV reloads at 25 seconds, as well as RN BB HE access, short fused AP shells.

DOY doesn't have KGV's reload speed, but she has the same shells with an additional benefit:  Improved AP Bounce Angles.  She also has Hydro.

Poltava has nothing.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
59 minutes ago, PrairiePlayer said:

I'm just curious.  Does ANYBODY play that ship?

I saw it in Narai a few times; seemed a bit squishy.

Members
194 posts
13,646 battles

I have one.

Poltava is a good ship, but nothing special ... he has a gigantic 25mm deck

Have a different play style compared to Sinop

See this review wrote by Little white Mouse http://shipcomrade.com/?p=3692

Edited by Fernando_Maluco

[KSC]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
5,127 posts
7,992 battles

I honestly forgot the Poltava was even in the game.  I thought it had gotten stuck in dev hell.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,072 posts
23,845 battles
10 minutes ago, yashma said:

I honestly forgot the Poltava was even in the game.  I thought it had gotten stuck in dev hell.

It released, there was a lot of talk about it on the boards.  Personally I was interested, "How does it hold up compared to Sinop?"

It wasn't really an enticing ship whether one compared it to Sinop or not, at least for me.  Poltava arrived December 3, and then over a week later, Puerto Rico and the Holiday Event hit and she got lost behind all the drama.

Members
835 posts
5,808 battles

From the bullet points on Poltava it looks like it’d be better at range than Sinop. Small guns but better accuracy with better conceal. But that’s just what I’m seeing. 

Members
4,314 posts
4,585 battles

I like my Poltava. Can't say I do well, can stat check me if you wish. But I love the guns and camo.

[R-F]
[R-F]
Members
705 posts
27,733 battles

I have one. I play it occasionally because its sitting in my port but its a hard ship to get a feel for. 

At distance it is accurate but the gun caliber is small. Close up it tends to struggle so its best to kite with it and focus fire with another battleship or cruiser. 

I wouldn't recommend buying it in its current for as you will be disappointed.