You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ShadowPatriot_RC

Radar and sonar spotting.

5 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts

First off I've only been playing this game for about one month on PS4 and Xbox.

Also these forums doubtless have been going for years so forgive if this issue has been raised before.

Okay I've recently begun to notice radar and sonar have been spotting through islands.Before anyone says it,this is not a one off time event,I've noticed this happening often now,and the nail in the coffin was a one on one situation(last ships standing).

I was a destroyer stalking the last enemy, a cruiser.I had hidden behind an island ready to ambush and all of a sudden the radar symbol appeared stating I was spotted.

Now without getting to technical I was under the impression radar ( and sonar)cannot go through solid objects and travels in straight lines,hence the bounce back ,so how exactly is it working in game?

[S0L0]
Members
305 posts
7,724 battles

If you are within radar range of ship and they use radar, regardless of what is in between you and the ship you will be spotted. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,162 posts
19,031 battles
44 minutes ago, ShadowPatriot_RC said:

Now without getting to technical I was under the impression radar ( and sonar)cannot go through solid objects and travels in straight lines,hence the bounce back ,so how exactly is it working in game?

You are correct when talking about IRL, radar and sonar can't go through solid objects. In this game however, they do, probably out of a desire to keep the coding complexity to a minimum by simply extending the assured detection function already in the game to the radar range for the duration. Do keep in mind though that this isn't the only gamification of radar vs real life; in real life you don't have an arbitrary max duration and cooldown, meaning it's always on, as opposed to in this game.

• Cool 4

[PVE]
Members
19,848 posts
12,027 battles
3 hours ago, ShadowPatriot_RC said:

First off I've only been playing this game for about one month on PS4 and Xbox.

Also these forums doubtless have been going for years so forgive if this issue has been raised before.

Okay I've recently begun to notice radar and sonar have been spotting through islands.Before anyone says it,this is not a one off time event,I've noticed this happening often now,and the nail in the coffin was a one on one situation(last ships standing).

I was a destroyer stalking the last enemy, a cruiser.I had hidden behind an island ready to ambush and all of a sudden the radar symbol appeared stating I was spotted.

2 hours ago, Lert said:

You are correct when talking about IRL, radar and sonar can't go through solid objects. In this game however, they do, probably out of a desire to keep the coding complexity to a minimum by simply extending the assured detection function already in the game to the radar range for the duration. Do keep in mind though that this isn't the only gamification of radar vs real life; in real life you don't have an arbitrary max duration and cooldown, meaning it's always on, as opposed to in this game.

This^^^

And is also a game balance feature like the 2km assured protection also working through islands.

6 minutes ago, ShadowPatriot_RC said:

Thanks for replies

We generally are a friendly bunch. Don't worry about a question being asked before, just mention that you are new and you should get a response. There is a search bar, but I find it hit or miss on results.

GL&FS <O