You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HolyWaterCow

Somers worth it?

8 comments in this topic

[N-W-T]
Members
64 posts
16,323 battles

With the coupon, I'd have enough steel to get the Somers OR enough coal to get the Smolensk. The Smolensk's park, smoke, and spam HE like an annoying gnat playing style doesn't really appeal to me (but on the other hand, it is ridiculously OP).

The first vids on YouTube that I saw about the Somers had great reviews. Now, I see people saying it's no good (apparently it was nerfed? or maybe ppl just like to complain?). Either way, is the Somers worth it? A Gearing/Shimakaze hybrid seems pretty appealing but it's 25k steel.....

Any1 have the Somers and/or thoughts on it?

[ALWC]
Members
1,180 posts
14,077 battles
26 minutes ago, HolyWaterCow said:

With the coupon, I'd have enough steel to get the Somers OR enough coal to get the Smolensk. The Smolensk's park, smoke, and spam HE like an annoying gnat playing style doesn't really appeal to me (but on the other hand, it is ridiculously OP).

The first vids on YouTube that I saw about the Somers had great reviews. Now, I see people saying it's no good (apparently it was nerfed? or maybe ppl just like to complain?). Either way, is the Somers worth it? A Gearing/Shimakaze hybrid seems pretty appealing but it's 25k steel.....

Any1 have the Somers and/or thoughts on it?

Smoli is about to get the nerf hammer in 9.2. Might want to wait and see how the ship performs after the IFHE changes. Smoli will be available until 9.3

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,136 posts
5,017 battles

If you want Smol get her as she is leaving. Somers is a really fun ship, and a great CB performer. Remember too, Yashima is in the pipeline for steel

[THREE]
Members
2,402 posts
13,197 battles

Hey 

I have both and they are both fun ships; Smolensk will get Nerf'd if the IFHE rework goes through, but Somers is a lot of fun too.  It's a matter of if you like DD torp play, if so then get Somers.  If you like cruisers and can live with the future Nerf, then get Smolensk since it will be going away.  I have zero regrets on either.

Pete 

[-VT-]
Members
857 posts
25,383 battles

I like the Somers, they only real drawback to it is it  really has not AA, single digits. But since most DD really cant do anything against air attack no matter what their rating not too big of a loss.

[R-R-R]
Members
1,062 posts
10,400 battles

I didn't get Somers. 

I can't justify spending steel on her for 2 more torpedoes than Gearing but much worse DPM and HP pool. Gearing even got much faster torp reload to compensate for the two torp difference.

If I really want aggressive torp boat, I can still play Shima which has 3 more torps that hit way harder, similar gun DPM but much better arc, better concealment, all in exchange for less torp range.

Edited by Exciton8964