Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
_Sang

Match making broken?

16 comments in this topic

[BS]
[BS]
Alpha Tester
481 posts
4,321 battles

Anyone else seeing match making issues. Ive had several games now where half the team got rolled first 5 mins of the game. Not enjoying this at all. Had to quit.

• Boring 2

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,356 posts
15,768 battles

That is not a match making problem. MM has very little influence on weather a match is a blow out or not.

• Cool 1
  • Confused 2

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,330 posts
20,013 battles
15 minutes ago, _Sang said:

Anyone else seeing match making issues. Ive had several games now where half the team got rolled first 5 mins of the game. Not enjoying this at all. Had to quit.

Is MM broken? Debatable 

Are most players really bad and cause steamrolls? Yes

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,086 posts
4,071 battles
14 minutes ago, paradat said:

That is not a match making problem. MM has very little influence on weather a match is a blow out or not.

This. MM looks at ships not players. We can argue about whether it should or not all day long, but right now MM is working as intended.

[WOLFG]
Members
28,896 posts
8,143 battles
22 minutes ago, _Sang said:

That's not a match making issue. 

That's a "people who populate the match making" issue.

[REKTD]
Members
237 posts
9,551 battles

This problem (lopsided losses) has been getting worse lately. To me, it seems there are more people playing the game, and as such there are more bad players also playing the game. It used to be 7k-10k average when I play on the server, now it’s over 16k sometimes. The majority must be either new players or potatoes branching into new lines. Either way the usual ratio of 3-5 good to decent level players on a team is now down to 1-2 for the losing team, and many of the strategies inexplicable.

The only reliable element is that your team will lose all DDs within the first 2-3 minutes.

If indeed there is a overall increase in the player base, this is actually a good thing for the game, and surface naval warfare games in general; despite bringing bad game play elements.

Edited by SuperComm4
Clarification.
  • Cool 1

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,430 posts
6,475 battles

Random is a very difficult word to understand for forumites here apparently.    

• Funny 1

[BS]
[BS]
Alpha Tester
481 posts
4,321 battles
2 minutes ago, iRA6E said:

Lol

Members
102 posts
38 minutes ago, paradat said:

MM has very little influence on weather a match is a blow out or not.

That's really the problem in a nutshell. Random MM needs to take player skill, ideally with the specific ship, into consideration. Everyone should be hovering around a 50% WR in randoms -- WR should be effectively useless for judging player competence in that mode, because they should be getting put into matches where they're up against equally skilled opponents. A string of wins = getting put up against more competent players, dropping WR back down until skill improves.

MM looking only at ship type doesn't do much to address the cause of blowouts. A potato at the helm vs. a unicum player is a bigger difference than best-in-class vs worst-in-class ship in terms of game outcome.

• Cool 1

[BB35]
[BB35]
Members
377 posts
10,865 battles
20 minutes ago, SuperComm4 said:

This problem (lopsided losses) has been getting worse lately. To me, it seems there are more people playing the game, and as such there are more bad players also playing the game. It used to be 7k-10k average when I play on the server, now it’s over 16k sometimes. The majority must be either new players or potatoes branching into new lines. Either way the usual ratio of 3-5 good to decent level players on a team is now down to 1-2 for the losing team, and many of the strategies inexplicable.

The only reliable element is that your team will lose all DDs within the first 2-3 minutes.

If indeed there is a overall increase in the player base, this is actually a good thing for the game, and surface naval warfare games in general; despite bringing bad game play elements.

Another thing Ive noticed is players want to make a lemming train. Ive had games where people are willing to give up 2 of 3 caps immediately. I keep telling them its a bad idea, the other team will flank you. 

I get reported. Lol. 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,356 posts
15,768 battles
7 minutes ago, Pomme_de_Terroriste said:

That's really the problem in a nutshell. Random MM needs to take player skill, ideally with the specific ship, into consideration. Everyone should be hovering around a 50% WR in randoms -- WR should be effectively useless for judging player competence in that mode, because they should be getting put into matches where they're up against equally skilled opponents. A string of wins = getting put up against more competent players, dropping WR back down until skill improves.

MM looking only at ship type doesn't do much to address the cause of blowouts. A potato at the helm vs. a unicum player is a bigger difference than best-in-class vs worst-in-class ship in terms of game outcome.

Well OK.… so skill based MM as been proposed and shot down since day 1 of tanks. 

Bottom line is that all you do is compress the win rate spread until we are all playing together again and get the same occasional skill miss matches you can get now.

There are a lot of factors that go into a blow out skill is only one of them. Consider 12 individual duals the first dual resolved quickly becomes a two on one etc..... Blow outs should be relatively common the very close battle is the statistical outlier. Many battles are close until they are not lol. 

It is not an issue. Expect them have fun win or lose.

Cheers.

Remember fair fights are for suckers.

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,330 posts
20,013 battles

If MM was truly random you would have blowouts all the time and I mean all the time

WG has some secret SBMM in place just have to download a MMM to see it

Problem is it has to figure out how to balance 500 and less PR players per side and with that kind of quality it's very hard to know what those kind of players will produce

Hence steamrolls 

Members
102 posts
8 minutes ago, paradat said:

Expect them have fun win or lose.

Few people have fun in a blowout though. It's frustrating for pretty much everyone on the losing team and tends to feel like you didn't accomplish much as someone on the winning team -- sort of like winning a coop match, which is not at all what random players are after (or they'd be playing coop in the first place).

22 minutes ago, iRA6E said:

That is a canard and you know it. "Random" MM has never been random, or we'd see games with T1 - T10 ships and completely mismatched ship types all the time.

• Confused 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,356 posts
15,768 battles
1 minute ago, Pomme_de_Terroriste said:

Few people have fun in a blowout though. It's frustrating for pretty much everyone on the losing team and tends to feel like you didn't accomplish much as someone on the winning team -- sort of like winning a coop match, which is not at all what random players are after (or they'd be playing coop in the first place).

When I am in one I sell my ship as dearly as possible and sometime I stop the blow out even reverse it. Still fun for me. That Battle button is easy to find. Blow outs do not bother me.

[5D]
Members
1,064 posts
13,533 battles

if you run match making monitor you will understand really fast why your team get steam roll ,  when there 10-20% of winrate between team ,  had a match yesterday were the team  started to through it away , my 3 man div ended up with 11 kills out of 12 .....

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this