You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
jags_domain

York does not suck?

6 comments in this topic

[SOV]
Members
4,621 posts

I reset the German line and got to York its prob been 2 years debts I played it.  I jave AP thats still trying to land from 2 years ago.

Have to say they fixed the shell sheep amd it does not suck anymore.  AP does amazing damage and ifhe given to the Germans makes HE work.

Look like WG did a good thing here.

[WOLFG]
Members
9,634 posts
8,629 battles

I started the Yorck after all the buffs and was pleasantly surprised compared to all the threads I've seen on the ship.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,106 posts
23,865 battles

Even before Yorck's AP shell flight characteristics were buffed, I considered her to be pretty good already.  You weren't slinging AP as a Cruiser at extended ranges anyways, and most of the time you're using HE to begin with.  She was very good to me when I grinded with her before the buff.  I recall people bad mouthing her because of the floaty AP and "squishy" nature.

1.  Cruisers are by nature squishy to begin with, especially those below High Tier.

2.  As I said, you were using the AP for shorter ranges anyways, and using HE most the time already.

She wasn't an issue for me and quite decent for the reality of Cruiser play.  Not to mention she gets the German Cruiser HE Pen Buff.  As with all the German 203mm guns (Yorck is 210mm), they can Pen the 50mm armor sections out there while normal guns of that size can't.

She's not as tanky as the later German CAs, but she is a big step up in protection compared to Konigsberg and Nurnberg.  Given the chance to play her in knife fights, her abundant 6 torps per side lets her put a lot of damage down in short time.  You also got the luxury of the best Hydro in the game, German Cruiser Hydro, at your finger tips.

[REKTD]
Members
237 posts
9,612 battles
51 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

I reset the German line and got to York its prob been 2 years debts I played it.  I jave AP thats still trying to land from 2 years ago.

Have to say they fixed the shell sheep amd it does not suck anymore.  AP does amazing damage and ifhe given to the Germans makes HE work.

Good thread, Got me thinking to get Yorck again.

To be honest though, I clicked thinking that the thread was about York, Exeter’s sister ship!

• Funny 1

[A-D-F]
Members
1,163 posts
10,490 battles
8 hours ago, jags_domain said:

Talking about 'liking' German cruisers is breaking a taboo of the same sort as talking about the "Scottish Play" by name in theatre. 

It "simply isn't done" by decent folk. You might attract the attention of the Nerf-bats. They mostly come out at night(UTC+3). Mostly.

:Smile_hiding:

• Funny 1

[WOLF3]
Members
27,106 posts
23,865 battles

Another nice thing with Yorck is she sets the tone of how Tier VIII, IX, and X German Heavy Cruisers play.  It's like how IJN Heavy Cruisers starting at Tier V become consistent in their playstyle, and skills you learn transfer easily.  But Tier IX Roon is the odd one, it's more of a "Super Nurnberg" but with bigger guns and better armor.  Very different style of play compared to all other German Cruisers Tier VII on.