Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LeastWeasel

My Farragut is terrible, Gaede is grand... help?

4 comments in this topic

[QNA]
Alpha Tester
30 posts
1,068 battles

Seeking advice - still new to this game, and relatively terribad. Trying to reconcile the differences between my Farragut/Gaede play; figured I’d fish for advice here in addition to perusing the best youtube has to offer... Really want to learn to love the USN gunboat play. 

So, running through my shortcomings & experience with each; the Gaede remains more comfortable in each scenario - looking for advice to improve, and specifically handle the Farragut better.

1) POSITIONING, DETECTION RANGE, AND INITIAL ENGAGEMENTS

I routinely hang myself out to dry here, first and foremost above all - neither are tops for either speed or concealment; yet I still push for that early cap. The Gaede has been more comfortable for me, as the firing arcs/torp performance means it’s easier to strike from a little further out, and get in initial value. Vs other DD’s, the magical rainbow arc of the Farragut means that the moment the ranges extend to  >7km, I’m largely just spray n’ praying. Here, I think the slightly better maneuverability of the Farragut is getting me in to trouble (and its reputation as a close-in fighter is adding to my incautious YOLO-ing). The one early-game situation I feel I end up playing the Farragut responsibly is in 2-3 CV matches... more on that later.

2) MID-GAME, AND AA RESPONSIBILITIES

Here is where they kind of even out... once the initial skirmishes happen, and the map is a little more broken up - this is where I feel the smoke/hydro combo of the Gaede can be used a little more aggressively to clean up stray flankers without becoming everyone’s first target. Mid-game (if I make it there, RIP over enthusiastic Farragut). Weirdly enough, the AA capabilities of both kind inform my positioning, here. Feel it’s solid reasoning for games with a CV, but still feeling it out for those clear-sky games.

The raw AA number is misleading. The Farragut does much less damage than the Gaede, but over a much longer range. So I tend to play it where I can overlap that bubble with other friendlies. This helps my survivability, but only when I play as a defensive screen - relying on the steady rain of arcing fire & only using torps vs people aggressively closing. Still feels as if it’s less effective vs destroyers here, more serving as fleet support. The Gaede’s lower-rated AA does much more damage, but entirely within the range of of its air detection - so between that, smoke/hydro, and flatter arcs - I play it more aggressively, as it feels like it needs/benefits a nearby division less. In both cases, I open up with priority sector if my spotting is guaranteed and/or the enemy CV has to work through multiple AA bubbles to get at me. After spending some time as a CV, I know that forcing CV to waste extra time to get at you can be on par with whittling down squadrons.

Once more, the Farragut’s reputation has me wondering if I am missing something here. Even mid-game, getting the Farragut in under 6km range feels really dicey in most situations. 

3) LATE-GAME

The extra speed and maneuverability of the Farragut make it more comfortable here, but once more, it can be hard to get into that sub-6km killzone if I’m alone. The better torp spread kind of compensates for the shorter range/slower speed of USN torps - but it still feels far more about setting traps for incoming, than chasing anything down. Here’s also where I acknowledge I should be switching off HE more than I do - and the Gaede feels a more reliable firestarter if you have to stick to hit-and fade.

So that’s it. In short, I am pretty certain that beyond those games where I run as an AA screen, I am being way too aggressive in my Farragut - and definitely considering Vigilance, given that working under 6km means those incoming torps are a guarantee. The Gaede feels flexible; how do I get my Farragut there? Am I on the right track thinking I should be far, far less independent with the Farragut? 

[1984]
Members
4,136 posts
19,969 battles
1 hour ago, LeastWeasel said:

Seeking advice - still new to this game, and relatively terribad. Trying to reconcile the differences between my Farragut/Gaede play; figured I’d fish for advice here in addition to perusing the best youtube has to offer... Really want to learn to love the USN gunboat play. 

So, running through my shortcomings & experience with each; the Gaede remains more comfortable in each scenario - looking for advice to improve, and specifically handle the Farragut better.

1) POSITIONING, DETECTION RANGE, AND INITIAL ENGAGEMENTS

I routinely hang myself out to dry here, first and foremost above all - neither are tops for either speed or concealment; yet I still push for that early cap. The Gaede has been more comfortable for me, as the firing arcs/torp performance means it’s easier to strike from a little further out, and get in initial value. Vs other DD’s, the magical rainbow arc of the Farragut means that the moment the ranges extend to  >7km, I’m largely just spray n’ praying. Here, I think the slightly better maneuverability of the Farragut is getting me in to trouble (and its reputation as a close-in fighter is adding to my incautious YOLO-ing). The one early-game situation I feel I end up playing the Farragut responsibly is in 2-3 CV matches... more on that later.

2) MID-GAME, AND AA RESPONSIBILITIES

Here is where they kind of even out... once the initial skirmishes happen, and the map is a little more broken up - this is where I feel the smoke/hydro combo of the Gaede can be used a little more aggressively to clean up stray flankers without becoming everyone’s first target. Mid-game (if I make it there, RIP over enthusiastic Farragut). Weirdly enough, the AA capabilities of both kind inform my positioning, here. Feel it’s solid reasoning for games with a CV, but still feeling it out for those clear-sky games.

The raw AA number is misleading. The Farragut does much less damage than the Gaede, but over a much longer range. So I tend to play it where I can overlap that bubble with other friendlies. This helps my survivability, but only when I play as a defensive screen - relying on the steady rain of arcing fire & only using torps vs people aggressively closing. Still feels as if it’s less effective vs destroyers here, more serving as fleet support. The Gaede’s lower-rated AA does much more damage, but entirely within the range of of its air detection - so between that, smoke/hydro, and flatter arcs - I play it more aggressively, as it feels like it needs/benefits a nearby division less. In both cases, I open up with priority sector if my spotting is guaranteed and/or the enemy CV has to work through multiple AA bubbles to get at me. After spending some time as a CV, I know that forcing CV to waste extra time to get at you can be on par with whittling down squadrons.

Once more, the Farragut’s reputation has me wondering if I am missing something here. Even mid-game, getting the Farragut in under 6km range feels really dicey in most situations. 

3) LATE-GAME

The extra speed and maneuverability of the Farragut make it more comfortable here, but once more, it can be hard to get into that sub-6km killzone if I’m alone. The better torp spread kind of compensates for the shorter range/slower speed of USN torps - but it still feels far more about setting traps for incoming, than chasing anything down. Here’s also where I acknowledge I should be switching off HE more than I do - and the Gaede feels a more reliable firestarter if you have to stick to hit-and fade.

So that’s it. In short, I am pretty certain that beyond those games where I run as an AA screen, I am being way too aggressive in my Farragut - and definitely considering Vigilance, given that working under 6km means those incoming torps are a guarantee. The Gaede feels flexible; how do I get my Farragut there? Am I on the right track thinking I should be far, far less independent with the Farragut? 

Fgut needs a 15ptcommander. It is a minicruiser with smoke and no citadel. Dont chase caps or dds, but ruin the life of bbs by spamming he! Therin lies the secret to success.

[QNA]
Alpha Tester
30 posts
1,068 battles
21 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

Fgut needs a 15ptcommander. It is a minicruiser with smoke and no citadel. Dont chase caps or dds, but ruin the life of bbs by spamming he! Therin lies the secret to success.

Thanks, monpetitloup - just running the standard 10-pointer right now: PT, LS, SE, CE. Would the other 5 points be BFT/AR to maximize RoF? 

[1984]
Members
4,136 posts
19,969 battles
51 minutes ago, LeastWeasel said:

Thanks, monpetitloup - just running the standard 10-pointer right now: PT, LS, SE, CE. Would the other 5 points be BFT/AR to maximize RoF? 

Yep, i would have picked bft first over se, although i do tend to eat torps where se would save me. Then go to ar. And last se. if you maximize the xp, free xp capt xp dailies in the fgut you can scrounge a couple capt points to bost along the way. If you play clan battles you will get a free capt xp reset and test alternative builds.

Sign in to follow this