Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hapa_Fodder

The Great White Fleet - Victory!

21 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

5,760
[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
3,537 posts
13,904 battles

Join the Fleet and see the World!


Read it on the portal
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29
[NFFS]
Members
190 posts
6,917 battles

This would have been an interesting opportunity to bring in one of the Connecticut class pre-dreadnoughts that sailed in this excursion.  They were contemporaries of the Mikasa, though a bit newer construction.

Thanks for the event!

 

Edited by Grey_Paladin
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
143
[-K_P-]
Members
410 posts
3,450 battles

Yes we need Connecticut class Battleships into the game, also would be nice to feature the USS Olympia Cruiser (she was part of the GWF, but didn't sail in the parade) especially since she is the oldest Steel Steam Warship still afloat (despite funding and mother nature).  I would purchase and sail both.

@Hapa_Fodder  There are broken image links on the webpage, please forward image to correct person:

image.thumb.png.2b39052966bf29f0105eab6fd4917346.png

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,760
[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
3,537 posts
13,904 battles
8 minutes ago, Crij said:

Yes we need Connecticut class Battleships into the game, also would be nice to feature the USS Olympia Cruiser (she was part of the GWF, but didn't sail in the parade) especially since she is the oldest Steel Steam Warship still afloat (despite funding and mother nature).  I would purchase and sail both.

@Hapa_Fodder  There are broken image links on the webpage, please forward image to correct person:

image.thumb.png.2b39052966bf29f0105eab6fd4917346.png

Hmmm... I don't show any broken images when I just opened the page again....

-Hapa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
143
[-K_P-]
Members
410 posts
3,450 battles
Just now, Hapa_Fodder said:

Hmmm... I don't show any broken images when I just opened the page again....

-Hapa

Are you viewing the page from the WG-NA Internal network, or an external? 

Just checked the page multiple ways, the boxes come up in Mozilla, but not Edge or Chrome, on both cellular and landline internet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,760
[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
3,537 posts
13,904 battles
2 minutes ago, Crij said:

Are you viewing the page from the WG-NA Internal network, or an external? 

Just checked the page multiple ways, the boxes come up in Mozilla, but not Edge or Chrome, on both cellular and landline internet.

I looked at it on my own laptop, work computer and phone....

-Hapa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
143
[-K_P-]
Members
410 posts
3,450 battles
3 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

I looked at it on my own laptop, work computer and phone....

-Hapa

Which browser are you using, seems to only work (from my end) in Microsoft Edge.  Boxes appear in Mozilla Firefox and Chrome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
143
[-K_P-]
Members
410 posts
3,450 battles

Also interesting because I would assume it was the same code reused, the event info looks correct within the GWF Entry on the Weekly Combat Mission page, but not on the Weigh Anchor GWF page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
224 posts
6,093 battles
6 hours ago, Grey_Paladin said:

This would have been an interesting opportunity to bring in one of the Connecticut class pre-dreadnoughts that sailed in this excursion.  They were contemporaries of the Mikasa, though a bit newer construction.

Thanks for the event!

 

The problem with the ships of the Great White Fleet is that they were all pre-dreadnaughts. With pre-dreadnaughts the small guns were suppose to protect from torpedo boats, the mid size 7" and 8" guns were suppose to be anti personal and light fires and the big guns were suppose to sink the enemy ship.

The problem with running these ships in WG is that there is no capability for handling mid-sized weapons. Might be an interesting addition to the game but its just not there right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
103 posts
7,032 battles
34 minutes ago, GoldDust2015 said:

The problem with the ships of the Great White Fleet is that they were all pre-dreadnaughts. With pre-dreadnaughts the small guns were suppose to protect from torpedo boats, the mid size 7" and 8" guns were suppose to be anti personal and light fires and the big guns were suppose to sink the enemy ship.

The problem with running these ships in WG is that there is no capability for handling mid-sized weapons. Might be an interesting addition to the game but its just not there right now.

We already have the Mikasa, which is best built for secondaries. The Mikasa is not very good, but it can work. WG just needs to put in the effort to balance the ships.

Also the fact that only tier 5 and up ships can participate in the event is even more ridiculous considering the event is about ships that would fit in tier 2.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7
[5D4]
Members
9 posts
3,104 battles

Also known as power projection. It was the 19th century equivalent of mutually assured destruction. A "you mess with us, and this is what you'll get" message. A lot of countries did this, just not to this extent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
367 posts
10,522 battles

Looking forward to collecting the WG Containers. Getting a pretty good sized stash now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
224 posts
6,093 battles
14 hours ago, Ortheki said:

We already have the Mikasa, which is best built for secondaries. The Mikasa is not very good, but it can work. WG just needs to put in the effort to balance the ships.

Also the fact that only tier 5 and up ships can participate in the event is even more ridiculous considering the event is about ships that would fit in tier 2.

Some of the earliest pre-dreadnaughts like Mikasa did not have "intermediate" weapons. The Mikasa had a 12 inch main battery and a 6 inch secondary battery but it didn't have the 8 inch mid level weapons that many other per-dreadnaughts had. That being said, they could give all those ships "manual fire control for secondaries" even without that commander skill to control that feature.

Edited by GoldDust2015
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17
[-U-R-]
Members
19 posts
3,731 battles

I love the white "For Meritorious Service" cammo and this event, but I was hoping they would introduce an expendable bicolor gold and white cammo like the Great White Fleet was painted. All bicolor gold and white cammos currently in game are permanent cammos. 

I too would love to see predreadnoughts and armoured cruisers added to the game. I hope they will someday. At the very least they could give us Blucher, which was a hybrid armoured/battlecruiser.  

Edited by Dauntless262
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
103 posts
7,032 battles
On 2/21/2020 at 4:37 PM, GoldDust2015 said:

Some of the earliest pre-dreadnaughts like Mikasa did not have "intermediate" weapons. The Mikasa had a 12 inch main battery and a 6 inch secondary battery but it didn't have the 8 inch mid level weapons that many other per-dreadnaughts had. That being said, they could give all those ships "manual fire control for secondaries" even without that commander skill to control that feature.

Multi-caliber guns in the main battery is not a new thing anyways, other ships have it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,953
[TBW]
Members
10,290 posts
17,483 battles

Once again the event was a disappointment, I was 3 be in the first 3 winners away and just got bored of playing. The MM of course stuck me in the worst possible starting places most of the battles and of course it was just another grindy POS event. I don't even know why I tried. It's getting harder and harder to play this game and have it be fun. Failure at a task is not fun WG. From now on you can just keep your F'ing events.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
224 posts
6,093 battles
On 2/23/2020 at 9:03 PM, Ortheki said:

Multi-caliber guns in the main battery is not a new thing anyways, other ships have it.

Not in the same way that pre-dreadnaughts did. Dreadnoughts do not have the mid level 7" and 8" guns that are suppose to be used in parallel with the main armament the way various calibers of guns were used back in the days of wooden ships and iron men to accomplish a variety of tasks during battle. The entire concept changed when the Dreadnoughts were launched. Dreadnoughts have a main battery and a secondary battery. They don't have the mid level guns the per-dreadnoughts had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
103 posts
7,032 battles

I was actually talking about cruisers like the Bogatyr. Plus I still don't see why we can't have the gun schema of a Pre-Dreadnought in game. Just have the battery be multi-caliber.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×