Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Bots cheat with Priority Target?

14 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
5,373 posts
16,119 battles

Had a game last night in Thunderer. I was engaging a target on my starboard bow at about 6-8K and could see his guns were pointed at me. And he did fire at me. My PT counter read "1". However, I kept taking fire from at least 2 other ships on my port and port bow. I could see the salvos coming in and I don't think they were secondaries. Minimap showed several possibilities in that direction, all over 10K.  Being heavily engaged I didn't want to take the time to see exactly who was shooting at me, but why did my PT counter remain at "1"?

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,725 posts
21,431 battles

You've just noticed that? Bots even launch torps at you with great accuracy without the targetting "flicker" you would see from a hoo-man.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,086 posts
4,071 battles

PT is wacky with bots. Used to not register at all. Now it does, but fully possible it doesn't work completely. I also think the bots may not lock on until just as they fire, so while 3 of them might be thinking about shooting you, they haven't locked on, and as they only do that just as they shoot, you see lower than expected PT numbers. That's just my personal theory with very little evidence though.

The long and short of it is PT isn't much use against bots.

[PVE]
Members
11,776 posts
24,394 battles
1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

Had a game last night in Thunderer. I was engaging a target on my starboard bow at about 6-8K and could see his guns were pointed at me. And he did fire at me. My PT counter read "1". However, I kept taking fire from at least 2 other ships on my port and port bow. I could see the salvos coming in and I don't think they were secondaries. Minimap showed several possibilities in that direction, all over 10K.  Being heavily engaged I didn't want to take the time to see exactly who was shooting at me, but why did my PT counter remain at "1"?

"Sometimes" you get shot rained down on you long after PT/IFA says it should be done OR when those things don't tell you that you are targeted and/or shot at.

• It might be the bots cheating and shooting you even though PT/IFA doesn't register. I have clearly been shot at by multiple bots but only had PT show 1 quite a few times. I have also had PT never showing any bots targeting me (just detected) but IFA suddenly flashes that I have been fired at (again, PT never registers before or after). I have even had them shoot me when I am not, and haven't been detected, yet here comes the pew pew (or massive damage salvo from a BB). Even the simple detected mechanic doesn't always show up when the bots are shooting you (and I don't mean what I will add next below - I mean NEVR detected yet shot at anyway).
  • OR it could also be the shells are from ships on the other end of the map with the range to get to you who fired while still under PT/IFA but it takes a long time to get to you so it messes with your perception.

The bots be whacky, cheating, sneaky little mother :etc_swear:'s LOL.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 2

[WOLF3]
Members
26,963 posts
23,767 battles

Yesterday working on RN CAs, my Cruiser was in an area with another player (a BB).  A bot BB was moving towards us and I was kiting.

Doing the usual stuff, sail away, fire back, drop torps also.  It was routine.  Priority Target was "0" and felt safe.  Then a salvo from that bot's direction was fired at me.  I was kinda surprised, my PT counter was "0."  I got hit but luckily I was angled away and only took a Pen instead of a Citadel.  Had I not played it safe and angled away, and instead got sloppy and not protect my citadel, I'd have gotten rekt.  I wondered during the rest of that game why my PT didn't register why I wasn't getting targeted.  The only possible reason is maybe the bot briefly targeted me and then switched again, because that was the only salvo he fired at me in that series of events.

It was weird, I have the replay somewhere but it's buried in a sea of replays.  It'll take time to sort out.

[SACH]
[SACH]
Members
987 posts

I had a game last night where a BOT Colorado was shooting at another target and I was laying fire on it. My priority target counter never marked me as a target. Only detected. Even while it swung it's guns around and shot at my ship it still didn't register as being targeted.

Still like the magic torpedoes that pop up from nowhere after you destroy a bit ship. OR the ever popular super rudder on a GK that can out turn your torpedoes at any given time. Plus their magic sonar that all ships happen to have .

Other than that no major issues . Lol.

[CVA16]
Members
5,373 posts
16,119 battles
40 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

OR it could also be the shells are from ships on the other end of the map with the range to get to you who fired while still under PT/IFA but it takes a long time to get to you so it messes with your perception.

I have been hit by bots (and sometimes humans) long after I think I should have been hidden and safe and those I attributed to long shell flight times (even though I really want to claim they are cheating!:Smile_trollface:). In this case, it was multiple salvos and each time I kept looking at the PT counter and it was "1". It was never higher than 1 for this part of the battle. I'll have to dig up the replay and see if I can figure what was actually happening.

[SRPH]
Members
92 posts
1,608 battles

The one I like is how bot BBs maneuver like jet fighters. Watched a Queen Elizabeth literally pull a 9G turn to escape from six torpedoes I fired from 3 km out and successfully did so after one-shotting me. I can’t maneuver like that in a destroyer, much less a battleship!

[DBRIS]
Members
626 posts
11,096 battles
4 hours ago, Khafni said:

You've just noticed that? Bots even launch torps at you with great accuracy without the targetting "flicker" you would see from a hoo-man.

Bots launch torps when they are dead. Bots never miss. Bots ALWAYS start fires. Bots are actually jet skis, that is why a BB can actually pull better than any DD turns. Bots conspire with the bots on your team to sink you with friendly torps. 

• Funny 2

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,424 posts

PT takes some "warm up time" of about 5 seconds so the bots could be switching targets every 1-2 seconds ergo you won't see the counter go up. The AI will pick easy pens over low HP it seems so if you are sailing full broadside the AI will FF you.

[WOLFG]
Members
9,542 posts
8,473 battles

Bots use every dirty trick in the book.

You want to know who programmed the bots?

Spoiler

Image result for Rick flair

[DBRIS]
Members
626 posts
11,096 battles
17 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Hide contents

robot-posters-inspiration-01.jpg

[IRNBN]
Members
3,347 posts
9,651 battles

It ought to be pretty obvious that the toasters don't need any spotting aids. They don't need PT, RL or anything else. The server plots every position, course, and speed of every ship in real time. The only time spotting is involved is for LOS to target, and even then the bots sometimes seem to get off some pretty unlikely (and humorous) shots.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
1,441 posts
39,205 battles
On 2/21/2020 at 8:39 AM, DrHolmes52 said:

Reveal hidden contents

670285696_Screenshot(23).thumb.png.ff9b445e16155b95c6e7014e4f22222b.png

Sign in to follow this