Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
StoptheViolins

Newport Scenario a Big Waste of Time?

40 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

635
[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,424 posts

I've lost about the same number of times I've won while playing this scenario and TBH a win only pays out about 3x the rewards of a loss - or about the same as a decent COOP battle. So Newport feels like a waste of time compared to Naria which feels like it pays out for a win about 10x that of a loss.  I can make 3k in Newport but the same level of play gets me 10k in Naria.  A good coop battle pays about 3k (in XP). 

I can't see any good reason to keep playing it.

  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
431
[-PVE-]
Members
617 posts
47 minutes ago, MasterCeltic said:

I've decided to stop because it's about 10-20% chance of success in a random group.

Try to div with players over at the Operations channel.

Suggest you use ships that have high rate of fire and with smoke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
431
[-PVE-]
Members
617 posts
On 2/20/2020 at 10:28 PM, StoptheViolins said:

I've lost about the same number of times I've won while playing this scenario and TBH a win only pays out about 3x the rewards of a loss - or about the same as a decent COOP battle. So Newport feels like a waste of time compared to Naria which feels like it pays out for a win about 10x that of a loss.  I can make 3k in Newport but the same level of play gets me 10k in Naria.  A good coop battle pays about 3k (in XP). 

I can't see any good reason to keep playing it.

Newport is a necessary operation. I like it and have made many 5-stars with random players, but it has also given me frustrations. The lessons are golden.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9
[OSF]
[OSF]
Members
4 posts
3,776 battles

Newport (or the Defense thereof) is the WORST scenario offered to date!!! STOP INCLUDING IT IN THE ROTATION!!!! Too may people don't understand "how to play" this scenario and the AI is insane! The AI knows exactly which bold to hit on your ship to explode it in 2 shots...and boom...we lose. Too Many AI ships with 98% accuracy and focus fire...yep...80% loss ratio. Burn the map or lower the AI insanity!

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
68
[VN]
Members
227 posts
5,466 battles

I've tried ops and they aren't worth it.
If you go by XP per hour, Co-op is actually the way to go.

Randoms pay good, if you win, but you don't win all the time and the games are too long on top of that.
For that matter, ops are too long for any reward offered.
If you have a clue, you also get huge amounts of toxicity directed at you in OPs for trying to achieve mission goals, like taking out the enemy troop ships in one, or taking out shore batteries.
It's all insane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,629
[WOLF3]
Members
27,065 posts
23,845 battles

The guys on discord had been calling it "Defeat at Newport!" :Smile_teethhappy:

40 minutes ago, Ericmopar said:

I've tried ops and they aren't worth it.
If you go by XP per hour, Co-op is actually the way to go.

Randoms pay good, if you win, but you don't win all the time and the games are too long on top of that.
For that matter, ops are too long for any reward offered.
If you have a clue, you also get huge amounts of toxicity directed at you in OPs for trying to achieve mission goals, like taking out the enemy troop ships in one, or taking out shore batteries.
It's all insane.

The gains in Co-op are sh*t because the matches are so short and little opportunity to get higher rewards. 6-8 players, the games are quick and what's the average BaseXP for people?  It's about 200-300 through no fault of their own, 400-500 is above average, and 600-900 is rare, especially 700-900 or so range.  But most of the time you're sitting at trash 200-300 or so BaseXPs.

 

Here's a little Co-op game I had tonight with Missouri.

EnTBoSZ.jpg

488 BaseXPs, which is above the norm.  Still sh*t XP rewards, most especially the single water drop of FreeXP.

ft1jHcJ.jpg

I had Zulu Flag to help on Credits.

I of course had the Missouri Perma-Camo on.

I also got Premium Acct.

A number of those things I just listed, I know I'm pretty well off compared to some other players who don't have Premium Acct, much less tons of Economic Signal Flags sitting around, nor the fortune to have Missouri in their collection.

ASxMPJz.jpg

And the XP and FreeXP rewards are still utter sh*t.

How long would it take me if I was some poor bast*ard that was trying to get the 1,000,000 FreeXP for Alaska?  At these rates in Co-op?

I had also tried to do the Research Bureau regrind with IJN CVs, that experience absolutely sucked in Co-op once you reach Tier VIII CVs.  Progress was pathetic.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,438 posts
20,188 battles
1 hour ago, Ericmopar said:

I've tried ops and they aren't worth it.
If you go by XP per hour, Co-op is actually the way to go.

Randoms pay good, if you win, but you don't win all the time and the games are too long on top of that.
For that matter, ops are too long for any reward offered.
If you have a clue, you also get huge amounts of toxicity directed at you in OPs for trying to achieve mission goals, like taking out the enemy troop ships in one, or taking out shore batteries.
It's all insane.

Scenarios are one of the best you can get for XP per hour if you know what you are doing, and especially if you have a reliable group of experienced players to run with like I do in Hoperations. I can easily speed grind through any tier VI or VII ship when Narai was available. I finished the Surrey in one night before patch 0.9.1 dropped to get the bonus tokens with the Albemarle. I also ground through Guepard in one night, and Vauquelin the next night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,654
[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,736 posts

I just can't handle the effect that trying to play Defense of Newport has on my opinion of the human species.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
68
[VN]
Members
227 posts
5,466 battles

The problem is in Randoms and OPs, is that even if you play well, you typically get crap XP "per hour" do to the longer game and losing quite a few.
You can't take one Random that is a win or one OP that is a win and use that to go by a grinding all day thing.
When I play ops with random team mates, you get 0 stars nearly 100% of the time, that is the reality of it, even if you kill multiple ships and achieve some of the objectives yourself, you don't get squat when you keep losing.
You only get the goodies if you win and that is rare with random teams in OPs that wander all over without a clue.

Now in the Halloween event, I had some great team mates and we quite often beat the other two human teams, plus took down Rasputen and it's escorts.
Those were matches over 300K for me that resulted in tons of stuff like flags and  XP.

If you have pre arranged people that are good at OPs, I'm sure you can grind a lot of XP, but If a person is like me and has to rely on random players in my OPs, then it's almost all losses and zero stars.

As far as I can tell, even if you accomplish the tasks, you don't get any stars if it's a loss. Correct me if I'm wrong.

 

Edited by Ericmopar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,184
[A-D-F]
Members
2,092 posts
7,603 battles

@Ericmopar,

You are absolutely right.  I don't have a solution for Random battles, but there is one for Operations.  Take @Lightninger 's advice and run ops with the guys on the Hoperations discord.  Their motto is "If it isn't a 5 star win, it's a loss."

I have run ops with them off and on and have never received less than a 5 star victory.  Even short handed.  They regularly run teams of 6, 5 or even 4 players and it doesn't seem to matter.  Always wins, always 5 stars.  Give it a try.  :cap_like:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
3,100 posts
6,691 battles

Last time Newport was op of the week, I was with a Hoperations short division of four or five and we picked up randos. Five-starred every time. It's actually fairly fun with an organized team, although it is still my least favorite Tier VI operation and tied with Raptor Rescue for least lucrative for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,438 posts
20,188 battles
1 hour ago, Ericmopar said:

The problem is in Randoms and OPs, is that even if you play well, you typically get crap XP "per hour" do to the longer game and losing quite a few.
You can't take one Random that is a win or one OP that is a win and use that to go by a grinding all day thing.
When I play ops with random team mates, you get 0 stars nearly 100% of the time, that is the reality of it, even if you kill multiple ships and achieve some of the objectives yourself, you don't get squat when you keep losing.
You only get the goodies if you win and that is rare with random teams in OPs that wander all over without a clue.

Now in the Halloween event, I had some great team mates and we quite often beat the other two human teams, plus took down Rasputen and it's escorts.
Those were matches over 300K for me that resulted in tons of stuff like flags and  XP.

If you have pre arranged people that are good at OPs, I'm sure you can grind a lot of XP, but If a person is like me and has to rely on random players in my OPs, then it's almost all losses and zero stars.

As far as I can tell, even if you accomplish the tasks, you don't get any stars if it's a loss. Correct me if I'm wrong.

 

Is there any particular reason why you cannot join up with us on the Hoperations Discord, or find some people in the in game Operations chat channel to play with? Neither is exclusive in any way. If you want a server invite link for Hoperations, just let me know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,629
[WOLF3]
Members
27,065 posts
23,845 battles
7 hours ago, Ericmopar said:

The problem is in Randoms and OPs, is that even if you play well, you typically get crap XP "per hour" do to the longer game and losing quite a few.
You can't take one Random that is a win or one OP that is a win and use that to go by a grinding all day thing.
When I play ops with random team mates, you get 0 stars nearly 100% of the time, that is the reality of it, even if you kill multiple ships and achieve some of the objectives yourself, you don't get squat when you keep losing.
You only get the goodies if you win and that is rare with random teams in OPs that wander all over without a clue.

Now in the Halloween event, I had some great team mates and we quite often beat the other two human teams, plus took down Rasputen and it's escorts.
Those were matches over 300K for me that resulted in tons of stuff like flags and  XP.

If you have pre arranged people that are good at OPs, I'm sure you can grind a lot of XP, but If a person is like me and has to rely on random players in my OPs, then it's almost all losses and zero stars.

As far as I can tell, even if you accomplish the tasks, you don't get any stars if it's a loss. Correct me if I'm wrong.

 

The Rewards you get are better.  You have a good game in Operations, Randoms, you get good credits, ShipXPs, and most especially FreeXPs.  The reason is getting higher BaseXPs, which practically everything is based upon.

 

Co-op, no matter what, unless you're doing Premium Acct + Credit Camo + Economic Signal Flags for a trash reward game mode, is a massive waste and the rewards are STILL sh*t.  OTOH on Randoms and Operations can be high payouts, good investments of your time.

 

I point again to my earlier post:

With those Co-op rewards, how long would it take me to grind from VIII Shokaku to next ship X Hakuryu, or to go to some other line's Tier X?

How long would it take me to earn the FreeXPs for Alaska?

 

The answer for me is "Too f--king long."

 

On the flip side, I just went to the pinned Operations results thread in this subforum, just grabbed a post:

15.8k ShipXPs is okay for the time investment.

Most important is the 4.1k FreeXPs.

How long would it take you in Co-op to get that, especially FreeXPs?

The funny part is, I can tell the poster there didn't go balls to the walls with Camo and economic flags.

 

Here's a good Operations result example, this time you can tell the player dumped good resources for a mode that could have good rewards.  His results:

32.3k final ShipXPs.

The absolute killer is 39.2k FreeXPs.

 

Here's a pretty good Co-op Goliath game I had recently.
 

Spoiler

 

sRW89Cn.jpg

SfLzzq9.jpg

 

696 BaseXPs is way above the norm where players, even good players, are forced to be stuck with 200-300 BaseXPs through no fault of their own, being spawned out nowhere where no bot ships, or just 1 bot ship goes their way.  Or worse, they spawn with 2-3 other guys and only 1 bot goes their way.  Then you got 3-4 dudes killing one stupid bot and nobody from that group gets anything good for XPs/Rewards.

Anyways, with my 696 BaseXPs, which is again above the norm, I get a lousy 152 FreeXP.  The final calculated ShipXP is still pathetic considering the good game I had.

 

Here's another one, a GK game with same 696 BaseXP.

Spoiler

 

W0ZL2Co.jpg

H07M8sl.jpg

 

Only 2.4k final ShipXP and an absolutely pathetic 152 FreeXP.

 

Dumping precious, high bonus consumable camo or worse, fancy things like Dragon Flags for Co-op is a terrible waste because the returns are so bad with Co-op.  You can even lose Credits grinding in High Tier Co-op for reasons that you can't help.  Lord help you especially if you're grinding High Tier CVs.

 

Last edit:  Co-op is good for just derping around with little to no consequences and in all likeliness, getting away with it.  It's also good for working off certain missions.  But as far as grinding High Tier ships, making substantial credits, and most importantly getting lots of FreeXP, Co-op is the absolute worst mode to play.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
491
[CO-OP]
Members
1,491 posts
24,748 battles

The few times I play Ops, usually when I've done stuff for the day and I'm a bit at a loss about what to do, I look in the Ops channel and do a couple of Narais (Atlanta, Flint and Fiji are my go to ships). The guys in there are good and know what they're about, if you don't know the op well or are unclear as to the objectives make sure that they know and they will help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,184
[A-D-F]
Members
2,092 posts
7,603 battles
1 hour ago, Efros said:

The few times I play Ops, usually when I've done stuff for the day and I'm a bit at a loss about what to do, I look in the Ops channel and do a couple of Narais (Atlanta, Flint and Fiji are my go to ships). The guys in there are good and know what they're about, if you don't know the op well or are unclear as to the objectives make sure that they know and they will help.

Understatement of the year.  If you have a question about ANYTHING ops related, these are the go-to guys to ask.  I highly recommend @Lightninger 's videos on the ops.

They are constantly working to refine their technique and find new strategies to maximize the team's effectiveness.  It is a thing of beauty to watch them play.  It's by the numbers, like clockwork, with no mercy for Skynet.  The Hoperations Ops teams are the ACTUAL Terminators.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
491
[CO-OP]
Members
1,491 posts
24,748 battles
39 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Understatement of the year. 

I'll put it down to me being British and exhibiting the reserve for which we are famous/notorious for!

:cap_tea:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,438 posts
20,188 battles
1 hour ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Understatement of the year.  If you have a question about ANYTHING ops related, these are the go-to guys to ask.  I highly recommend @Lightninger 's videos on the ops.

They are constantly working to refine their technique and find new strategies to maximize the team's effectiveness.  It is a thing of beauty to watch them play.  It's by the numbers, like clockwork, with no mercy for Skynet.  The Hoperations Ops teams are the ACTUAL Terminators.

Thanks for recommending me.

22 minutes ago, Efros said:

I'll put it down to me being British and exhibiting the reserve for which we are famous/notorious for!

:cap_tea:

You can find the link to my YouTube channel in my signature or you can go back to the main PVE section, as my directory thread is pinned at the top which you can use to navigate to threads for individual Scenarios. If you want to learn detailed information on each one, you can watch the "Discussion" videos and I talk about using ships in the replays.

I also have specialized videos as well and you can find them through my different playlists like Permanent Night Cherry Blossom. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
68
[VN]
Members
227 posts
5,466 battles

Wait...
Ops are only for tiers VI and VII less often, so how to Ops help you grind to Tier X again. I'd like to know about this magic.
Also, I stick to my guns. Ops result in a lot of losses and are much longer than co op games.
I can't grind my Amagi in ops...
I can grind my New Mexico and maybe get through that a little quicker. If the team wins and doesn't wander off refusing to protect our little areas near the end of game...

 

 

Edited by Ericmopar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,189
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,176 posts
9,512 battles
27 minutes ago, Ericmopar said:

Wait...
Ops are only for tiers VI and VII less often, so how to Ops help you grind to Tier X again. I'd like to know about this magic.
Also, I stick to my guns. Ops result in a lot of losses and are much longer than co op games.
I can't grind my Amagi in ops...
I can grind my New Mexico and maybe get through that a little quicker. If the team wins and doesn't wander off refusing to protect our little areas near the end of game...

 

 

Free xp.

 

I've free xp through every tech tree tier 10s in the game from tier 8 except for maybe two lines (waaaayyy back before scenarios were a thing)

 

Despite using free xp from tier 8 to 10 on all the lines, I still have 4.8 million free xp left over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,629
[WOLF3]
Members
27,065 posts
23,845 battles
4 hours ago, Ericmopar said:

Wait...
Ops are only for tiers VI and VII less often, so how to Ops help you grind to Tier X again. I'd like to know about this magic.
Also, I stick to my guns. Ops result in a lot of losses and are much longer than co op games.
I can't grind my Amagi in ops...
I can grind my New Mexico and maybe get through that a little quicker. If the team wins and doesn't wander off refusing to protect our little areas near the end of game...

 

 

FreeXP, especially when you consider that you can get big stacks of 15k, 20k, 30k+ FreeXP from Operations or PVP.

Meanwhile grinding with Co-op gets you jack and sh*t.

 

Not to mention those big stacks of FreeXP can go towards Premium Ships like Alaska or other FreeXP Armory Ships.  Good luck grinding that with 150 FreeXP gains in Co-op when you need 1,000,000.  And going by WG's penchant for "inflation" it's going to get a lot worse.

 

There's another one I forgot to mention that Co-op rewards little of.  It's merely another consequence of the low BaseXPs you can get with that game mode.

Elite Captain XPs.

The gains are very low while Operations and PVP give huge amounts, even more so when someone is using their precious consumable camo and economic signal flags for such times.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10,629
[WOLF3]
Members
27,065 posts
23,845 battles

Just another example of how much of a waste Co-op is.

 

Decided to try Venezia to get the 300 BaseXPs for ITA Cruisers in Naval Battles for my clan.  I have:

Premium Acct

Military Month Contributor Flag (+5% credits, XP, CmdrXP)

Post Apocalypse Consumable Camo (+100% Ship and FreeXP, +150% CmdrXP)

A spare Zulu Hotel signal flag (+50% CmdrXP)

Repair Party II (22.5k Credit cost for replenishment at end of battle)

WOLF3 Clan Bonus (-15% post-battle servicing costs, +5%XP, +10% CmdrXP, +15% FreeXP)

 

A simple Venezia game with low results, getting the typical BaseXPs for a lot of guys.  Me and Friesland spawn together.  The only thing that came our way was a bot Chapayev.  After he was taken down I had enough time to take some ranged potshots and help secure the cap with Friesland.  Very poor game, lost a lot of credits and had extremely low XP, CmdrXP, FreeXP.  This was no fault of Friesland nor myself.  We got stuffed out nowhere with almost nothing to shoot at, and that happens a lot in Co-op.

TatTmEY.jpg

DusUynj.jpg

sBaLVLl.jpg

This result would have been worse if we didn't have that cap to secure.

And I still failed to get the 300 BaseXP my Clan needed for ITA Cruisers.

No fault of my own.

Quick, very low payout games in critical resources, with the possibility of losing a lot of credits.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
78
[KREW]
Members
146 posts
16,595 battles

Newport is generally a huge waste of time. Need a well balanced group that communicates very very well.

As to the Coop is a waste discussion, for some maybe. But, I can't spend FXP fast enough. 

Krhonstadt, Alaska, Nelson earned with FXP
36 19 pointers
4 current tech-tree tier 10's
1 retired Midway
Reset Minotaur currently on regrind.
5 tech-tree tier 9's
5 tech-tree tier 8's
2 years time.
It's a game, most play it to have fun.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,043
[ARGSY]
Members
20,142 posts
14,332 battles
On 2/26/2020 at 6:10 AM, Lightninger said:

if you have a reliable group of experienced players to run with

This is the key.

On 2/26/2020 at 5:31 PM, KilljoyCutter said:

I just can't handle the effect that trying to play Defense of Newport has on my opinion of the human species.

You mean you haven't yet seen a bunch of kill-greedy glue sniffers turn a guaranteed five-star Killer Whale win into a total loss? 

On 2/27/2020 at 11:35 AM, Lightninger said:

Is there any particular reason why you cannot join up with us on the Hoperations Discord, or find some people in the in game Operations chat channel to play with? Neither is exclusive in any way.

For some of us, the issue is time zones. For myself, Hoperations always seemed depopulated unless I was awake long after I should be. In addition, I at least have the perception that all the operations chatters and Hoperations group really wanted to do was spam Narai over and over. Now that it's out of rotation, which op are you guys hitting the hardest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,043
[ARGSY]
Members
20,142 posts
14,332 battles
On 2/28/2020 at 4:50 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Quick, very low payout games in critical resources, with the possibility of losing a lot of credits.

This is why the only Tier 10 ships I play with any regularity in co-op are Salem, Smolensk and Thunderer, which aren't the money-spinners the T9 premiums are, but which are affordable to run at T10. I also play Minotaur from time to time, but that's because she's got a permacamo (paid for with doubloons I won) and I run premium time 24/7/365.

Salem in particular has seen a LOT of co-op time. I've got over 500,000 XP on her now, easily my most productive premium ship. 226 battles in her in co-op (only 34 in Randoms), and only 4 behind the leader, Fiji (which I've had for about a year longer).

Co-op is THE place for knocking out combat-related directive tasks, but you have to be picky about the ships you do it with. I also use it because the win rate is reliably near-certain and you need victories to get the majority of the BXP for daily chains if there are tokens to be had. If I have a long losing streak in Randoms, I get nowhere after the first two.

In my opinion, the modes are no more than tools, just as much as the ships themselves are - you pick and choose them for best effect and risk/benefit balance, according what you want to achieve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×