HMAS_Valhalla

The Movie Greyhound

22 comments in this topic

[AN2AC]
Members
58 posts
4,385 battles

Hi fellow Captains, anybody know the latest on this upcoming movie starring Tom Hanks.

According to the web it's due for release in the USA beginning  of May  2020, but I would have thought a trailer would have been released by now. (Given the trailers for  Top Gun 2 are already out)

Down here down under we get news second hand.

Cheers

HMAS_VALHALLA 

[NFFS]
Members
190 posts
6,917 battles

Thanks for the heads up!  I did not know this movie existed.  When I checked the link to IMDB I noticed that C.S. Forester is accredited as the novel writer.  That alone got my interest, as I am a big fan of his works - including the Hornblower series and Brown on Resolution.  I know of the novel The Good Shepherd but I have yet to get my hands on a copy.  That is the novel the movie Greyhound is based on.  

Good author, highly recommended.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,108 posts
5,508 battles
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

New trailer.  June release.

Just in time for submarines to be released into this game!

It would be cool if WG does some sort of cross-marketing opportunity with them, even if it is for a PvE event.

I enjoyed it when they did it with Dunkirk.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
718 posts

The fact that they did the movie with a destroyer instead of something like a cruiser or a BB makes me happy.

Members
4 posts

Hey everyone! I'm Joseph Poliquin, supporting actor in Greyhound. Glad you guys/gals liked the trailer!

I've contacted Wargaming and hopefully we can get something going. I would love to see our film represented in WOW.

Could you imagine getting the USS Keeling, or Tom Hanks being in World Of Warships? Or even getting the wolf pack skins for U-Boats!? 

This game and our film were meant to partner up! Hopefully Wargaming thinks it's a good idea too, huh? It would be a dream come true for a character I played in a film to be turned into a video game too. When you guys see the film, let me know what you think! 
Forbrick - out.

MV5BMGQ1YzM1M2EtMDYzYS00MmRmLWE2ODctMzNlODM3YzlhNTNiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTgzMTMyMDQ@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,999_AL_.jpg

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1

Members
2 posts
567 battles
On 3/5/2020 at 4:20 PM, Battlecruiser_Yavuz said:

Just in time for submarines to be released into this game!

It would be cool if WG does some sort of cross-marketing opportunity with them, even if it is for a PvE event.

I enjoyed it when they did it with Dunkirk.

I wonder if everyone will be itching to get the u-boats?  They pretty much dominated the Atlantic back then.  Will it play out that way in the game???

[--O--]
Members
931 posts
14 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

This movie is hitting AppleTV+ due to Coronavirus having its impact with movie releases and theaters.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/19/tom-hanks-movie-greyhound-jumps-to-appletv/

50 Million dollar Budget, plus whatever the actors have in the contract. Going to a streaming service where without doubt it will be immediately put-out to all the torrent sites and probably all over...... Not sure how smart it is as a Hanks movie typically generates in the hundreds of millions of dollars in theaters.

[BUDJU]
Members
2 posts
857 battles

so they have done a crossover in the north sea,Denmark,a crossover in the pacific sea,midway,and now hopefully in the Atlantic sea greyhound.

[CO-OP]
Members
1,496 posts
24,766 battles

Resurrecting this, watched it last night, very good movie. Highly recommend it.

[TASC]
Members
325 posts
11,381 battles

I would like to see this movie in the cinema. I have to wait until it is on DVD. i only use cable TV and Netflix.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,431 posts
14,165 battles
On 5/22/2020 at 7:39 AM, Mustangrde1 said:

50 Million dollar Budget, plus whatever the actors have in the contract. Going to a streaming service where without doubt it will be immediately put-out to all the torrent sites and probably all over...... Not sure how smart it is as a Hanks movie typically generates in the hundreds of millions of dollars in theaters.

I think it will still do well as the people that will steal it wouldn't likely be going to the theater virus or not.

[F4E-2]
Members
486 posts

I watched it last night, great movie, no bullcrap love story, no moral lesson, not one stupid speech, just a solid good war movie like in the old days.

The movie was about an American DD call sign "Greyhound" but when you watch it you'll see the the Corvette "Dickey" was the real hero lol

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,921 posts
26,913 battles

Movie was ok. 

Spoiler

I could not imagine any German U Boot going for a gun duel with a DD and a corvette at full day light, that was the main downside for me. 

Also: the taunting of the German captain over wireless. 

It gives an idea about life on a DD in the Atlantic. Still far ahead of the usuall crap that was out the last years, ship models are well done, effects are good too. 

Without spoiler, it's not much of romance or backround story, just the pure battle. 

If "Das Boot" is a 10/10, I would give "Enemy Below" a 8/10 and "Greyhound" a 7/10. Technical a good movie, they care about small details like the Catalina near GB have British markings, captain caring about use of fuel and dept charges. Just feels a bit wrong from the historic side, for 1942 too many U Boots killed by one convoy and those stuff in the spoiler. And you cannot really connect with any of the actors. 

[OBWS]
[OBWS]
Members
23 posts
6,087 battles

Watched it last night, terrific movie, I hope you all enjoy it