Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BanCVComplainers

Dont buy "special" ships

22 comments in this topic

[NH]
Members
1,769 posts

Special ships are not premiums and subject to change just like tech tree ships. I would not recommend purchasing them with resources or grinding them out. Smolensk aside the Colbert that was a much weaker counterpart is being nerfed into the ground. Starting behind the 8-ball without smoke or torps.

Exhibit A.

With already abysmal armor that resembles something of a T6 cruiser the mid section is being reduced to 16mm of armor. That would make it take devastating strikes from CV rockets as it will have DD armor but with an above water citadel. 

image.thumb.png.90a702e49bdebc7b51225c41f2d538c5.png

Exhibit B.

The 127mm guns required IFHE because they could only pen 20mm of armor. It was enough to damage superstructures on its own. With IFHE it gave it 27mm pen and allowed it to fight other cruisers. The shell shatter rate even with IFHE approached 50% in games.  Now you are thinking but this thing is a fire demon right? No it does not share the same chance to fire as the Smolensk enjoys.

Colbert has a chance to fire of 7% and with the proposed changes it will have a palty 3.5% chance to fire with IFHE.

If you calculate the chance to fire against a T10 BB using Damage control mod 1 and fire prevention while taking the new IFHE you get a 1.49% chance to fire. WOWOW

(0.5005) x (1 - 0.05) x (1 - 0.10) x (0.035 - 0.0 + 0.0 + 0.0) = 1.49% fire chance

image.thumb.png.84ad7795f070f753907c76975bb4559c.png

Exhibit C.

But what about getting some of that HE pen back due to the shell changes? Nope left out here

image.thumb.png.e9085f2db128c4c6ce247bae694f92e8.png

In closing, the grinding I did to afford this ship was incredible. Its a slap in the face and make me NEVER want to trust a ship being classified as a special ship again.

Edited by The_Fire_Department
  • Cool 2
  • Confused 3
  • Boring 5

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,641 posts
5,000 battles
19 minutes ago, The_Fire_Department said:

Special ships are not premiums and subject to change just like tech tree ships. I would not recommend purchasing them with resources or grinding them out. Smolensk aside the Colbert that was a much weaker counterpart is being nerfed into the ground. Starting behind the 8-ball without smoke or torps.

Exhibit A.

With already abysmal armor that resembles something of a T6 cruiser the mid section is being reduced to 16mm of armor. That would make it take devastating strikes from CV rockets as it will have DD armor but with an above water citadel. 

image.thumb.png.90a702e49bdebc7b51225c41f2d538c5.png

Exhibit B.

The 127mm guns required IFHE because they could only pen 20mm of armor. It was enough to damage superstructures on its own. With IFHE it gave it 27mm pen and allowed it to fight other cruisers. The shell shatter rate even with IFHE approached 50% in games.  Now you are thinking but this thing is a fire demon right? No it does not share the same chance to fire as the Smolensk enjoys.

Colbert has a chance to fire of 7% and with the proposed changes it will have a palty 3.5% chance to fire with IFHE.

image.thumb.png.84ad7795f070f753907c76975bb4559c.png

Exhibit C.

But what about getting some of that HE pen back due to the shell changes? Nope left out here

image.thumb.png.e9085f2db128c4c6ce247bae694f92e8.png

In closing, the grinding I did to afford this ship was incredible. Its a slap in the face and make me NEVER want to trust a ship being classified as a special ship again.

FYI, those would be considered global changes and premium ships are just as subject to them as special ships and tech tree ships.  For example, Belfast and Nueve De Julio lose their ability to pen 32mm plating with IFHE.

Edited by Helstrem
  • Cool 1

[NH]
Members
1,769 posts
1 minute ago, Helstrem said:

FYI, those would be considered global changes and premium ships are just as subject to them as special ships and tech tree ships.

Not the specific changes to the smolensk and colbert armor. Not global.

[NH]
Members
1,769 posts
3 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

FYI, those would be considered global changes and premium ships are just as subject to them as special ships and tech tree ships.  For example, Belfast and Nueve De Julio lose their ability to pen 32mm plating with IFHE.

Not the specific changes to the smolensk and colbert armor. Not global. The changes to HE shells are global however. 

[SYN]
Members
8,236 posts
13,957 battles

I am fine with special ships being balanced just like any other tech tree ship, It's healthier for the game.

• Cool 3

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,641 posts
5,000 battles
3 minutes ago, The_Fire_Department said:

Not the specific changes to the smolensk and colbert armor. Not global.

Those are global changes to bring non-German/American CLs in line with Minotaur.  Future CL lines such as, potentially, Japanese, French, Italian and so on should be expected to have 16mm side plating.  They should still get the 30mm deck.

Edited by Helstrem

[NH]
Members
1,769 posts
1 minute ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

I am fine with special ships being balanced just like any other tech tree ship, It's healthier for the game.

The problem is often these special ships can have their grinds cut with real money so its a way for WG to sell premiums without calling them premiums and getting around the nerf restrictions. Be wary of a trend of special ships.

[NH]
Members
1,769 posts
1 minute ago, Helstrem said:

Those are global changes to bring non-German/American CLs in line with Minotaur.

Im not going to argue but you seem to not be able to understand what global is. I simply dont have the time to ELI5.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,641 posts
5,000 battles
Just now, The_Fire_Department said:

The problem is often these special ships can have their grinds cut with real money so its a way for WG to sell premiums without calling them premiums and getting around the nerf restrictions. Be wary of a trend of special ships.

Smolensk is Coal.  Only by being ridiculous can you consider the real money effect of premium time to make it real money based.

None the less, the change is a global one, not a targeted one.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,641 posts
5,000 battles
1 minute ago, The_Fire_Department said:

Im not going to argue but you seem to not be able to understand what global is. I simply dont have the time to ELI5.

You don't seem to understand what global means in this context.  They are standardizing the plating on cruisers to give more flavor difference between light and heavy cruisers.  Smolensk had what is going to be heavy cruiser plating.  American and German cruisers have heavier plating than do other nation's cruisers.  The base hull plating for American and German high tier light cruisers is 25mm and for high tier heavy cruisers it is 27mm.  For all other nations the base hull plating for high tier light cruisers is 16mm and 25mm for high tier heavy cruisers.  All high tier heavy cruisers will have 30mm mid decks and 30mm upper hull plating, all high tier German and American light cruisers will have a 30mm mid deck and 25mm upper hull plating, all other high tier light cruisers will have a 30mm mid deck and 16mm upper hull plating.

This is a global systems change.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[RNGOD]
Members
2 posts
1,732 battles

DO NOT BUY 'ADMIRAL PACK LONDON..$49.99..WORST 50 BUCKS IU HAVE EVER SPENT...ARMOR SUCKS ...TAKES 2 MINS !! 2 WHOLE MINS FROM THE WORD GO TO ARM TOPEDOS !!...SHOT DISPERSION FROM GUNS IS HORRIBLE ! SHIP IS SLOWER THAN A PIG TO MANUVER AND EVEN SLOWER RELOADING GUNS !! DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS POS !

• Funny 1
  • Confused 2

[WOLFG]
Members
29,075 posts
8,322 battles

35 minutes ago, The_Fire_Department said:

If you calculate the chance to fire against a T10 BB using Damage control mod 1 and fire prevention while taking the new IFHE you get a 1.49% chance to fire. WOWOW

(0.5005) x (1 - 0.05) x (1 - 0.10) x (0.035 - 0.0 + 0.0 + 0.0) = 1.49% fire chance

Colbert has a 6% chance of fire with IFHE now, not 7%. (7% is base) With DE, that goes to 8%.

After the change, Colbert will have a 3.5% chance of fire. With DE, that goes to 5.5%

So doing the math, now:

(.5005)x(1-0.05)x(1-0.10)x(0.080) = 3.42%

after:

(.5005)x(1-0.05)x(1-0.10)x(0.055) = 2.35%

You're losing just over 1% of your practical fire chance. 

[R-F]
Members
134 posts
9,019 battles
27 minutes ago, sgt_shid said:

DO NOT BUY 'ADMIRAL PACK LONDON..$49.99..WORST 50 BUCKS IU HAVE EVER SPENT...ARMOR SUCKS ...TAKES 2 MINS !! 2 WHOLE MINS FROM THE WORD GO TO ARM TOPEDOS !!...SHOT DISPERSION FROM GUNS IS HORRIBLE ! SHIP IS SLOWER THAN A PIG TO MANUVER AND EVEN SLOWER RELOADING GUNS !! DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THIS POS !

Is it bad that I cant tell if this satire or not?

[HELLS]
Members
2,664 posts
27,212 battles
38 minutes ago, Jagdpanzer131 said:

Is it bad that I cant tell if this satire or not?

Bad manners at any rate. I will grind any premium or special that WG will give me. Exeter is a dog and I expect London to be just as bad, but since I am an RN main I'll take the free versions. Gorizia looks good in Taranto port, but it is still a dog. WG hands them out like candy. I won't pay good money for something that is worse than its' tech tree equivalent. As for the changes, my read on this is it across the board so everyone gets the the same medicine. WG owns the game, and we suckers play it...

Members
727 posts
9,871 battles
1 hour ago, Helstrem said:

Those are global changes to bring non-German/American CLs in line with Minotaur.  Future CL lines such as, potentially, Japanese, French, Italian and so on should be expected to have 16mm side plating.  They should still get the 30mm deck.

it takes olympic level mental gymnastics to see this as a global change

No we didn't nerf the Giulio Cesare, it was a global change to all Italian tier 5 battleships.

• Confused 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,415 posts
15,895 battles

I am OK with WG balancing ships including exclusive prem ships. So not an issue for me. 

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,214 posts
9,362 battles
2 hours ago, The_Fire_Department said:

Special ships are not premiums and subject to change just like tech tree ships.

Premiums were always subject to change when sweeping game mechanic changes were made.

First 'victim' was Sims, when smoke was bashed with a nerf hammer (both duration and consumable number), between closed and open beta testing. After that we've had multiple AA changes, OWSF changes, etc. I personally have zero problems with this.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,641 posts
5,000 battles
9 minutes ago, WernerHerzdog said:

it takes olympic level mental gymnastics to see this as a global change

No we didn't nerf the Giulio Cesare, it was a global change to all Italian tier 5 battleships.

I laid out what the new rules are.  It is a rules change.  That means it is global. 

Mind you, I am not saying it is a good change.  Just that it follows their global change rules.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,793 posts
4,631 battles
2 hours ago, The_Fire_Department said:

ALL ships are subject to change.  This IFHE change affects ALL ships; don't make the mistake of thinking it only affects the ones specifically mentioned.

That aside, why not wait and see how the changes play before you lose your water?

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,793 posts
4,631 battles
1 hour ago, The_Fire_Department said:

The problem is often these special ships can have their grinds cut with real money

You mean, like straight premiums?  Boy, are you barking up the wrong tree.

Sign in to follow this