Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Efros

Bots Fore and Aft Turret placement.

11 comments in this topic

[CO-OP]
Members
1,487 posts
24,702 battles

The bots tendency to rig their guns pointing fore and aft when not actually using them can be a major advantage, one we mere mortals are not allowed to have. The video below highlights this, the bot Montana has beached deliberately and my divmate comes around one side of the island while I appear around the other. The bots rear turrets turn towards my divmate who proceeds to ram the Montana in his DM. With his rear turrets pointed 180 degrees from me I open fire and then I see the fore turrets are already less that 90 degrees from me, and the rest is only a matter of time. 

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,767 posts
4,630 battles

Bot independent turret control is an advantage.  Doesn't quite make up for their steampunk brains, though...

[RLGN]
Members
14,297 posts
25,149 battles
22 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Bot independent turret control is an advantage.  Doesn't quite make up for their steampunk brains, though...

‘Bots need to be competitive’ my eye.

It’s one more bald faced cheat bots use; kind of like bot torpedo planes that drop torpedoes as much as 180 degrees off their actual approach angle on second and third runs.

[WOLF8]
Members
7,344 posts
6,239 battles
47 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Bot independent turret control is an advantage.

This is actually nothing new, though I guess it's kinda hard to see.

Back when Boise and Nueve de Julio first came out, there was a special "BOGO" deal where you buy one and get a grindy mission to get the other for free. So I bought NdJ and grinded for Boise.

One of those matches for the grind landed me in a Tier IX match, with lots of islands... I forgot the map name though, lol. :Smile_hiding:

So there I was camping behind an island and bombarding HE shells on unsuspecting bots, when a bot controlled FDG was coming around the island. I immediately noticed that its bow turrets were aiming away from me, shooting at someone else on my team. I figured I would be totally safe, with enough time and room to run away if the bot decide to turn on me...

...except when its aft turrets finally came into my view, the gun barrels were literally pointing squarely between my eyes, and I mean that LITERALLY (I was in a zoom-in view at the moment), no joke. It was as if the bot FDG was not aiming at my ship, but rather at the player (a.k.a. me) who was sitting in front of the screen. I instantly felt a chill going down my spine, as my ship was blown to smithereens. I couldn't help but laff out loud, after staring at the screen for couple seconds while being dumbfounded. I really wish I took a screenshot of that moment or something... lel. :Smile_teethhappy:

Thus I learned from that day that the bots can independently move their fore and aft turrets separately. It was a valuable lesson, I would say... lul. :Smile_hiding:

Edited by Blorgh2017
  • Funny 1

[WOLF9]
Privateers
13,767 posts
4,630 battles
22 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

It’s one more bald faced cheat bots use;

This one I don't mind.  And I'm sure WG would let us have it if we could figure out a good way to implement it.  I can't think of a way...

[PVE]
Members
6,150 posts
22,432 battles
2 hours ago, Efros said:

The bots tendency to rig their guns pointing fore and aft when not actually using them can be a major advantage...

To you when you can duck behind an island...know any humans that will take the guns pointed at where they lost detection w/you & not have them aimed at where you are about to reemerge (considering no other targets to engage) instead of totally forgetting you even exist until you're detected again?

[VN]
Members
227 posts
5,450 battles
4 hours ago, Blorgh2017 said:

This is actually nothing new, though I guess it's kinda hard to see.

Back when Boise and Nueve de Julio first came out, there was a special "BOGO" deal where you buy one and get a grindy mission to get the other for free. So I bought NdJ and grinded for Boise.

One of those matches for the grind landed me in a Tier IX match, with lots of islands... I forgot the map name though, lol. :Smile_hiding:

So there I was camping behind an island and bombarding HE shells on unsuspecting bots, when a bot controlled FDG was coming around the island. I immediately noticed that its bow turrets were aiming away from me, shooting at someone else on my team. I figured I would be totally safe, with enough time and room to run away if the bot decide to turn on me...

...except when its aft turrets finally came into my view, the gun barrels were literally pointing squarely between my eyes, and I mean that LITERALLY (I was in a zoom-in view at the moment), no joke. It was as if the bot FDG was not aiming at my ship, but rather at the player (a.k.a. me) who was sitting in front of the screen. I instantly felt a chill going down my spine, as my ship was blown to smithereens. I couldn't help but laff out loud, after staring at the screen for couple seconds while being dumbfounded. I really wish I took a screenshot of that moment or something... lel. :Smile_teethhappy:

Thus I learned from that day that the bots can independently move their fore and aft turrets separately. It was a valuable lesson, I would say... lul. :Smile_hiding:

Yeah, my first experience with BB main batteries targeting multiple targets, was realizing a Nassau was doing it at tier III. I Finally realized it's forward batteries were targeting a team mate and the aft batteries were targeting me separately.
I can't remember which ship did it recently, but a higher tier BB was targeting multiple targets with different turrets.  I remember thinking "I haven't seen that one for awhile"
I've figured out the German bot BBs can also target torps and guns separately and fire them seperately. Like, shooting at phony torp angles, like straight out their butt, wasn't a bad enough cheat already.

You also have to love how you can be nose to nose with the exact same bot BB as your ship, and they pen your citadel while bow tanking over and over, while nose to nose in a perfectly straight line, like a plumb line. However, your shells aimed dead center, on the bot BB's centerline splash repeatedly on either side, or if they hit, they bounce like they are supposed to... Again, that's with the exact same ship, just one is the bot and you, nose to nose.

Edited by Ericmopar

[SRPH]
Members
92 posts
1,608 battles

Not only do they split fire between ships, but their accuracy is God tier. I had a Sovietskiy Soyuz land a full salvo on me from max range, something like 18 km away while I was moving away at 30 knots. Knocked my Duca degli Abruzzi down from three quarters health to a sliver...thought I’d survived...and then two seconds later I spontaneously combusted. No fire, no flooding, nothing, just *poof.* 

Edited by Chados

[CVA16]
Members
5,385 posts
16,186 battles

For me it looks like Montana's forward turrets are rotating away from the OP then reverse back as he comes around the corner. Not pointed at him already. One (legitimate game mechanic) explanation might be:

The Montana was previously engaged with a target off his port stern so his bow turrets were at max turn to port (whether they could bear on the previous target or not). The Montana then went to engage a target to starboard so the stern turrets take the short turn to hit them while the bow guns make the long turn around. Those turrets are still making that turn and are still pointing a bit to port when the OP comes around the corner. Montana instantly changes targets (as bots are prone to doing) and the bow turrets reverse their turn and track the OP. They eventually line up and shoot. I notice the stern turrets are making the long turn around to the OP also but never get past dead stern before being sunk. They were not continuing to try to engage the target to starboard.

Edited by Sabot_100

[A-D-F]
Members
1,160 posts
10,430 battles
On 2/19/2020 at 2:03 PM, iDuckman said:

This one I don't mind.  And I'm sure WG would let us have it if we could figure out a good way to implement it.  I can't think of a way...

The UI already has the "C" Key to switch point of view between main turrets, does it not? Having independent turret control isn't really that far at that point. All you would need to add besides the fire control limitations would be a 'snap-back' to all main turrets function, which the user can assign to a preferred key.  

Honestly though, with the ever growing list of things that will most likely never be fixed; I don't see adding independent turret control as even remotely plausible.

In Aegis, back in the T6 Cleveland days, I remember training all guns to port forward and letting the bow turrets track to targets on the starboard bow while reloading. On an good twitch reflex day, with proper caffeine loading, I could keep cycling between targets so separated for quite a while. It was a bit situational, but I had my best Aegis runs that way. Old Cleve claimed 10 kills & 51 planes that way, of course she had no plans for actually making the exits.

It can be done Duck; but WG lacks the resources. . . 

Treasure_Bath.jpg

Sign in to follow this