You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Petrishnikov

What's the attraction?

10 comments in this topic

[SEC_8]
[SEC_8]
Members
165 posts
25,279 battles

So, I don't know if this has been asked, but I am curious to know what you captains find so attractive about this game?

Me, I love ships and the excellent ship modeling that WG has done (paper or not). 

What draws you all to this game?

I am especially curious to learn what the female captains find so attractive about this game.

Edited by Petrishnikov

[STW-A]
Members
831 posts
7,039 battles

The subject - WoWS is an extremely niche game without any real competitor if you're interested in WW1/2 history, battle boats, or some combination of both.  I don't mind that it's arcadey or a-historical in actual gameplay, but I'm from NC and I think it's cool to be able to use the battleship ingame that I've visited a few times. 

The pace - I'm not great at fast moving FPS games, it gives me time to think about what I'm doing.  I also don't mind the relative ease of logging in to play and logging out whenever you feel like it when compared to most MMOs; I used to play Eve Online and basically found WoWS when I was looking for something to keep me from being bored while waiting for fleet battles to happen.  Not having to hurry up and wait is nice.

The challenge - Every battle unfolds differently, and every game is a challenge of adapting to changing situations and trying to be enough of the difference to push your team across the finish line.  Being able to more often than not, and being able to see and feel the progress I'm making is really satisfying.

I did feel like WoWS was pretty balanced pre-CV rework (although probably because CVs were a lot more rare then, still broken but in a different way), and if you'd asked me 18 months ago, that would have been a reason I listed for continuing to play.  Now, I'm unsure of the future based on some of the game design decisions over the past year or so, and some of the ones that seem to be coming.  At this point, there's also probably some sunk-cost fallacy keeping me going; I've got so many ships and I've played for so long (not to mention the terrifying amount of $$ I've dropped into it), the idea of just not playing ever again is kind of odd.

Edited by Deviathan
  • Cool 1

Members
6,621 posts
20,679 battles
16 minutes ago, Petrishnikov said:

So, I don't know if this has been asked, but I am curious to know what you captains find so attractive about this game?

Me, I love ships and the excellent ship modeling that WG has done (paper or not). 

What drawl you all to this game?

I am especially curious to learn what the female captains find so attractive about this game.

HypnotSee the source imageic iambic pentameter built into the game code that has been matched to each persons game style to keep them playing. 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,429 posts
15,926 battles

The core game mechanics are just plain fun. Game has very beautiful graphics. The tier and progression model is fun. I love the rock paper scissor elements. The game has just enough complexity to be interesting but simple enough that it can be casual. It is a great FPS in slow motion. There is also a wide range of variety in each battle very much so if you play all ship types and tiers. For me win or lose the random battles are fun and relaxing. 

[REVY]
Members
2,291 posts
12,313 battles
15 minutes ago, Petrishnikov said:

I have always had a fascination with sea warfare. From the fighting ships of the age of sail to present day.

I played alot of the 'Great Navel Battles' series as well as other Navel sims. But none of those have really come out in the last 10 years.

I saw Jingles gameplay of WoWS and immediately became interested. As soon as open Beta came, I immediately downloaded and have been playing ever since.

[SALVO]
Members
2,026 posts
6,201 battles
21 minutes ago, Petrishnikov said:

What drew me to the game: 

Getting to fight in big ships with big guns.  

What kept me in the game: 

- The pace.  No twitch required. 

-The relative depth to it, there is so much to learn. 

- The relative balance in the game.

Members
263 posts
2,845 battles

Shipfus.

Uh.. I mean...

No. Actually, the answer is shipfus.

4C90A5A999C1C877D8946E6639863F428B878399

No, that's not a mod.

Also non-twitch gameplay. Wouldn't actually be playing if I didn't have fun with boating around shooting things.

Edited by Enpra

[GOBI]
Members
1,084 posts
4,251 battles

Being a retired Naval Architect and USN veteran along with being interested in Naval History did it for me. I like the challenge and complexity of the game. Also that there is always more to learn and improve upon. Some of the ships are beautifully modeled, and are a pleasure to use and look at. I do find some of the newer ships in the game seemed rushed as far as modelling though such as new RN cruisers. The graphics are good, and the player base is mostly friendly.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,138 posts
4,090 battles

I've always liked naval warfare, especially WWII naval history. I also really enjoy learning about the complex engineering that goes into things like large warships. I was fooling around on youtube and ran across this new game called World of Warships that had all the famous ships I knew about and studied. I watched a couple videos, and knew I had to try this for myself. Issue was my computer at the time didn't even have the hard drive capacity for the game, much less anything else. So I waited a year until I could upgrade, meanwhile watching a ton of videos on the game. Jingles was really who got me hooked, him adding the historical side of things really peaked my interest. The year or so of video watching was really helpful, as when I started I was still a newbie, but I knew many of the fundamental do and don'ts (don't go broadside, smokescreens attract torpedoes, when to use HE and AP, how smoke worked, etc). 

Once I was in there's a lot to keep interesting. I like strategy games, and (don't laugh) there's a good deal of that in WOWS. To be a good player it's not only the control skills that you need, but also a good eye for how the battle is shaping up, reading the mini-map, predicting the battle flow, and figuring out what you should do to get the desired result. It's not easy, and changes for each ship type. Most people don't do this, and I'm still learning, but it's the skill required to predict the battle flow with 23 other random people that IMO makes the game really interesting. The historical models are awesome, and I think we all agree that the graphic design team does a fantastic job. And the gameplay is for the most part interesting. Despite the complaints over all the game is pretty darn good. And of course there's always the very satisfying feeling of causing some poor sucker to explode in a ball of fire.

Short version: I find naval warships IRL cool, and so I find playing with the in game warships cool and fun (usually, CVs I'm not a big fan of).

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,330 posts
25,270 battles

Can’t really add much to the above.

Getting to use ships I’m familiar with from a lot of Bantam Books paperbacks; or that I’ve visited, (getting Salem was a no brainer, despite already having Des Moines.)