You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kgh52

DD's setting fires, Cruisers torpedo hits

41 comments in this topic

[TDRB]
Members
5,142 posts
13,741 battles

It took far more battles to set the 24 fires required to complete a directive than what I expected. It seemed as if most of the ships I hit were encased inside a nitrogen bubble. Yes, I was using HE & a signal flag. Of course after I completed the directive the number of fires started increased.

It was so easy to get the 15 torpedo hits I think I could have completed this mission using the Cleveland. Yes, you're right, that is a bit of an exaggeration. None-the-less, I zipped through that directive.

I ran a T5 BB in a T7 random, only 112,000 potential damage. While it wasn't close to my best in the terms of damage I did engage enemy ships & damaged them well within their range & I managed to sink one but there was very little return fire. 

This does make playing more interesting.

• Funny 1
  • Confused 1

[WOLF3]
Members
27,099 posts
23,865 battles

I worked off the DD Fire mission first.  Used Harugumo and was steadily progressing.  Funny moment in one co-op game doing this I had 250+ shell hits but 1 fire :Smile_veryhappy:  I switched to Kleber and Mogador to work on the mission again using the FR 139mm guns.  But it was so fun torpedoing stuff with them that I had forgotten to farm Fires.

Cruiser Torpedoes?

EASY

PRINZ EUGEN.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
9,634 posts
8,629 battles

Fires are always were a mixed bag.  One day bottom tier in Vauquelin, I set 7.  Next day top I set one.

Then I go out and get 10 fires in a Podvoisky (was top tier though).

[HINON]
Members
3,254 posts
26,559 battles

quickly did the dd fires in coop with DutchBote. The cruiser torp missions also in coop with Atago, the potential damage in coop with JB, and the 55k fire damage in randoms with Smolensk.

[HINON]
Members
3,254 posts
26,559 battles
4 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Funny moment in one co-op game doing this I had 250+ shell hits but 1 fire :Smile_veryhappy:  I switched to Kleber and Mogador to work on the mission again

I had a similar match, hundreds of shell hits and only one fire, I was about to put on my tin foil hat.

[WOLFG]
Members
9,634 posts
8,629 battles
5 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I worked off the DD Fire mission first.  Used Harugumo and was steadily progressing.  Funny moment in one co-op game doing this I had 250+ shell hits but 1 fire :Smile_veryhappy:  I switched to Kleber and Mogador to work on the mission again using the FR 139mm guns.  But it was so fun torpedoing stuff with them that I had forgotten to farm Fires.

Cruiser Torpedoes?

EASY

PRINZ EUGEN.

Besides using the Emile Bertin (which I'm grinding), I did the rest in the Yorck.

Somewhat trollish armor in close, which is where things work best in coop.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,099 posts
23,865 battles
2 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Besides using the Emile Bertin (which I'm grinding), I did the rest in the Yorck.

Somewhat trollish armor in close, which is where things work best in coop.

Yeah.  With Cruisers, Yorck has lots of torpedoes and good launch angles for that kind of work.  She pretty much set the template of what's to follow.

Members
3,115 posts
6,714 battles

Friesland in three games for the fires, and then oddly Huanghe for the cruiser torpedoes because the crawling smoke and torpedo reload booster lend themselves to co-op rushing.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,204 posts
14,348 battles

I did the rest in the Yorck.

I considered that, but I thought no, MM is going to troll me by making me bottom tier against T9 every time (or against T10 if I took the Hipper). 

Konigsberg and Nurnberg were eventually my go-to, and MM was mostly generous. 

I went to the Harekaze for the destroyer task - I could have used Akizuki (longer range, one more turret), but Harekaze's a premium so I can drop Yamamoto in there any time I like and grab a few more CXP on the way to 19 points. 

Musashi is my go-to for the potential-damage mission, again because of Yamamoto. Backups include Thunderer (not the tankiest at T10, but still plenty of HP, and near-misses give higher values at higher tiers) and Nelson (not so much potential damage per near miss, but she has great heals to keep me alive longer).

Just now, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

because the crawling smoke and torpedo reload booster lend themselves to co-op rushing.

In a crawling-smoke ship with smoke deployed, you "rush" in the same manner as a snail "rushes". :Smile_trollface:

The Italian cruisers might be interesting to try. Got to hold your gunfire back, though.

[THREE]
Members
2,402 posts
13,223 battles

Hey

Kind of interesting how people comment on their low actual fires starting ability and yet every ship in the game is from a supposed 5%-60+% and yet how many comment on only being able to set 1 or 2 fires in a game.  The stats for HE are meaningless when it's all RNG and/or game manipulation.  And yet don't you love it when somebody hits you with 1 shell and your on fire but yet you have shot salvo after salvo and can't start a fire.  Even the CC's have commented in videos about their lack of ability to start a fire.   Is this coincidence or by game mechanics to prolong battles?

Pete

[WOLFG]
Members
9,634 posts
8,629 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I considered that, but I thought no, MM is going to troll me by making me bottom tier against T9 every time (or against T10 if I took the Hipper). 

Konigsberg and Nurnberg were eventually my go-to, and MM was mostly generous. 

I went to the Harekaze for the destroyer task - I could have used Akizuki (longer range, one more turret), but Harekaze's a premium so I can drop Yamamoto in there any time I like and grab a few more CXP on the way to 19 points. 

Musashi is my go-to for the potential-damage mission, again because of Yamamoto. Backups include Thunderer (not the tankiest at T10, but still plenty of HP, and near-misses give higher values at higher tiers) and Nelson (not so much potential damage per near miss, but she has great heals to keep me alive longer).

In a crawling-smoke ship with smoke deployed, you "rush" in the same manner as a snail "rushes". :Smile_trollface:

The Italian cruisers might be interesting to try. Got to hold your gunfire back, though.

I tried Nurnberg.  Got to be bottom tier.  Got to be detonated.  Took it as a message.

Members
3,115 posts
6,714 battles
2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I kind of rush to the edge of the cap and abuse my ridiculous stealth, then full reverse until I'm going slowly enough that I'm within the 1/4 engines that crawling smoke will cover, then I pop it. By that time usually the destroyers are just coming into range, and they're closing at full throttle. Sometimes I'd try and torp a destroyer, but mostly I sailed right past them for the cruisers and BBs, which was also nice because them my teammates were shooting at the red DDs and not blapping the red cruisers and battleships before I could torpedo them.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,099 posts
23,865 battles

I tried Nurnberg.  Got to be bottom tier.  Got to be detonated.  Took it as a message.

Those mid tier German Cruisers are allergic to being aimed at.

[ARGSY]
Members
20,204 posts
14,348 battles
Just now, DrHolmes52 said:

Well at least we know where your Nurnberg's share of the luck went.  :fish_haloween:

2 minutes ago, sasquatch_research said:

And yet don't you love it when somebody hits you with 1 shell and your on fire but yet you have shot salvo after salvo and can't start a fire.

Usually for me, that "person" is a bot in co-op, and their enhanced combat abilities are to balance against that their tactics consist almost entirely of a headlong rush.

[-TCO-]
[-TCO-]
Members
516 posts
5,054 battles

I got lucky with Agile and the fire flags. She was breathing fire so that one is done. Same with Emerald and the torp missions, that one was done in two matches. 

The potential was driving me a bit nuts. In the past Scharnhorst has been my go to for this but was struggling with sub 500K outings. Jumped in one of my newly acquired Arp Kongos (the pink one) and had two at just over and just below 1 mil. A little over half way with that, will see if it continues.

My big surprise is how well the cit flags are going with Ryujo. I don't play CV's hardly at all. I have played a few games in Furious acquired from the Gorizia grind. I had researched the Hosho but hadn't bought her so FXP'd to Ryujo. Finished half of it last night.

Just for reference this was all done in Coop.

[WOLFG]
Members
9,634 posts
8,629 battles
3 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Those mid tier German Cruisers are allergic to being aimed at.

I swear I get detonated in the Bergs more often than I do in DDs.

Members
337 posts
1,113 battles
25 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Cruiser Torpedoes?

EASY

PRINZ EUGEN.

Yes I ran Hipper for a few battle and got it done.

[-K-]
Members
8,361 posts
14,164 battles
39 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I used Tashkent to farm the DD fire mission fairly easy, and it quickly reminded me how Tashkent today is  better than Khabarovsk in almost every comparable metric. 

Not too often a T9 feels better to play than the T10, but in this case for me, it does.

[-UCS-]
Members
90 posts
9,647 battles

Fires: Friesland. ROF made up for the low fire chance. 3 co-op games including one with 11 fires. 

Torps: Hipper, mostly because I am grinding that anyways. Ran a Saint Louis,  one of those ARP ships, and a Arblemarle. Hipper got the job done. 

Looking for recommendations on cruisers that generate “incapacitated modules”? Tirpitz 2nds do that nicely (many thanks for an in-game chat Reccomendation!) 

[PVE]
Members
553 posts
10,276 battles
29 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

Friesland in three games for the fires, and then oddly Huanghe for the cruiser torpedoes because the crawling smoke and torpedo reload booster lend themselves to co-op rushing.

Friesland:

#1 game: 15 fires

#2 game: 11 fires

but I had help from my division members, they were farming potential damage so they didn't try killing stuff in their usual efficient manner ;)

[WOLFG]
Members
9,634 posts
8,629 battles
2 minutes ago, evanr1940 said:

Friesland:

#1 game: 15 fires

#2 game: 11 fires

but I had help from my division members, they were farming potential damage so they didn't try killing stuff in their usual efficient manner ;)

I use my JB to spot for my DD teammates.

• Cool 1

[WMD]
Members
1,621 posts
9,766 battles
12 minutes ago, sdj_2016 said:

Fires: Friesland. ROF made up for the low fire chance. 3 co-op games including one with 11 fires. 

Torps: Hipper, mostly because I am grinding that anyways. Ran a Saint Louis,  one of those ARP ships, and a Arblemarle. Hipper got the job done. 

Looking for recommendations on cruisers that generate “incapacitated modules”? Tirpitz 2nds do that nicely (many thanks for an in-game chat Reccomendation!) 

I believe AA mounts and secondary guns count as modules, so any CA firing HE should do the trick.

[WOLFG]
Members
9,634 posts
8,629 battles
Just now, VeatherVitch said:

I believe AA mounts and secondary guns count as modules, so any CA firing HE should do the trick.

I think the mission will be incapacitate ribbons, so guns/engines/torps/steering.

[THREE]
Members
2,402 posts
13,223 battles
1 hour ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I swear I get detonated in the Bergs more often than I do in DDs.

Hey

But once you get the hang of the Bergs; especially Nurnberg, it's great fun.  They are literally a blast to play and yes they can get blapped, but they are very under estimated too in what you can accomplish, they have decent speed, fast reloading guns, good HE because of the fast reload, and the AP on any broadside ship can do good work, the AA is decent enough and you have torps.  I've had fun being bottom tier but be much more careful, stay at range and use your teammates for bait by staying behind then, always keep dodging and weaving and pay attention to who is aiming at you.  I found Konigsberg to be a harder boat to play for some reason than Nurnberg.   I would love to buy the Russian premium Makarov if it comes back around just so I can set it up differently.

Pete

[WOLFG]
Members
9,634 posts
8,629 battles
Just now, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

But once you get the hang of the Bergs; especially Nurnberg, it's great fun.  They are literally a blast to play and yes they can get blapped, but they are very under estimated too in what you can accomplish, they have decent speed, fast reloading guns, good HE because of the fast reload, and the AP on any broadside ship can do good work, the AA is decent enough and you have torps.  I've had fun being bottom tier but be much more careful, stay at range and use your teammates for bait by staying behind then, always keep dodging and weaving and pay attention to who is aiming at you.  I found Konigsberg to be a harder boat to play for some reason than Nurnberg.   I would love to buy the Russian premium Makarov if it comes back around just so I can set it up differently.

Pete

I love my Nurnberg.  But yeah, North Carolina's taking a look at you is a bad sign.

• Cool 1