You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
STINKWEED_

High Tier Full Broadsidepalooza!

24 comments in this topic

Members
3,080 posts
15,941 battles

Has anyone else noticed a rapid change to the quality of tier 9/10 players. Let's face it, it's been pretty horrible the past two years due to so many players rushing up the ranks to accumulate T10 ships, however, something different has been happening lately and perhaps you may have noticed this too. It's the amount of T9 and T10 Bbs and cruisers showing full broadside and staying broadside until they are deleted. I've been in battles where there were two to three full broadside BBs,  like fish in a barrel begging for a citadel. Some turn around to full broadside in another direction. Last night I had battles where I citadelled the same BB three times in under 2 minutes. It never bothered turning away!

This confirms how WG's introduction of high tier premium ships and it's strategies to entice players rush as many T10 ships as possible is having a very negative effect. There used to be a time when T10 players earned their place and were typically the more experienced and skilled players. Now days I can't tell the difference between tier 3 and tier 10 battles. 

Example added below

Edited by STINKWEED_

[WOLFG]
Members
29,146 posts
8,353 battles

I find that a lot of it is stationary bowtankers/island huggers, that apparently have horrid tunnel vision.

Some of the cruisers are funny. Just because their shells take forever to land, they seem to think everyone's do. Waiting to back up until high-velocity shells are fired does not give them time to avoid them.

Edited by Skpstr

[-TKS-]
Members
1,074 posts
8,667 battles
14 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Has anyone else noticed a rapid change to the quality of tier 9/10 players. Let's face it, it's been pretty horrible the past two years due to so many players rushing up the ranks to accumulate T10 ships, however, something different has been happening lately and perhaps you may have noticed this too. It's the amount of T9 and T10 Bbs and cruisers showing full broadside and staying broadside until they are deleted. I've been in battles where there were two to three full broadside BBs,  like fish in a barrel begging for a citadel. Some turn around to full broadside in another direction. Last night I had battles where I citadelled the same BB three times in under 2 minutes. It never bothered turning away!

This confirms how WG's introduction of high tier premium ships and it's strategies to entice players rush as many T10 ships as possible is having a very negative effect. There used to be a time when T10 players earned their place and were typically the more experienced and skilled players. Now days I can't tell the difference between tier 3 and tier 10 battles. 

It just takes time to reach tier X. What irritates me more is not so much the amount of broadside showing ships but how often they don't get punished for it. Thinly armored CLs actively encourage sitting broadside thanks to the proliferation of overpenetrations from high caliber, high velocity guns. Battleships can still be punished, but the days of one salvo dev strikes are long gone, save for a few exceptions like RN BBs, Yamato, Soviet BBs, and Georgia. Don’t misunderstand, you can still get citadels, but it seems like damage is high or low reward, no In between, ie  Overpens or citadels, vs penetrations. (Take this with a grain of salt.)

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,133 posts
19,239 battles
2 hours ago, Usedcarjock said:

It just takes time to reach tier X …..

….. unless you have cash, then it takes a quick transaction or two. I still remember the day I was in a battle with a Tirp driver who actually asked what a secondary build was. When questioned by the other members of the team on how long he'd been playing he replied he had been at this a long time; he was up to tier 3 in two different lines. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

[--K--]
Members
1,347 posts
10,232 battles
3 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

My favorite is when they give full broadside, only for RNG to slap the piss out of your guns and you miss the citadel... multiple times in a row.  So much fun.

• Cool 2

[SCOM]
Members
189 posts
9,039 battles
23 minutes ago, Umikami said:

….. unless you have cash, then it takes a quick transaction or two. I still remember the day I was in a battle with a Tirp driver who actually asked what a secondary build was. When questioned by the other members of the team on how long he'd been playing he replied he had been at this a long time; he was up to tier 3 in two different lines. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

The opposite is true too.  Last night I had a game in my Daring where I was contesting a cap against 4 reds and my support was behind islands.  So I was playing safe with DOT and torps grinding them down.  About 3-4 minutes later I'm pushing them out of the cap.  Here comes a green Ohio charging into the cap while shouting on chat "I'm doing the job a DD should do"

Look up his stats for curiosity after the game, he has 20k battles and almost all the ships.  A solid 50% win rate and the only T10 ships above 50%.  Stalingrad, Thunderer, Kremlin and forget the other.  I averaged more damage in my Daring than any of his T10 BBs.

I'm not a stat shamer but I found that hilarious.

Members
3,080 posts
15,941 battles

@Skpstr @Usedcarjock @Umikami @BarneyStyle

Here's a video from one of yesterday's battles. Pay attention past the 5:00 mark. At one point There are three enemy battleships all very close and all showing broadside. I was having a hard time deciding which to shoot at. We ended up losing but I found all the broadside amusing.  @BarneyStyle you are right about RNG. Take a look at some of my shots. 

Edited by STINKWEED_
  • Funny 1

[-AGW-]
Members
980 posts
13,606 battles
59 minutes ago, BarneyStyle said:

My favorite is when they give full broadside, only for RNG to slap the piss out of your guns and you miss the citadel... multiple times in a row.  So much fun.

That, or your reload runs just too long and you succumb to fire >< this close to punishing the cheeky bastard.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,133 posts
19,239 battles
1 hour ago, Wanturskul said:

I'm not a stat shamer but I found that hilarious.

Seriously!

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,133 posts
19,239 battles
59 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Take a look at some of my shots. 

Why is it I never get opponents like that? LOL!!

[WORX]
Members
10,759 posts
18,591 battles
5 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Let's face it, it's been pretty horrible the past two years due to so many players rushing up the ranks to accumulate T10 ships

I disagree, players are now to blame to the decline of high tier matches...The rush up to tier 10 has been around since beta...

So if players are not to blame, then what is going on up there ??? Answer...

• Power Creep

Power creep has changed the high tier gaming experience for the worst. I look back at CCs high tier battles of 3 years ago, it looks like a Co-op battle compared to what we have today..

Its amazing how WG manage to decrease the fun with questionable implementations.

Oh well, it is what it is.

[BUOY]
Members
1,024 posts
14,546 battles

Looking at that game.

1. The DM Derpskoi absolutely lemming trained the 2 BB's.

2. The JB and GA panicked, although they could have planted into the island and teamed up against the AK instead of trying to turn around and presenting their sides to either you or the rest of your team.

3. The Lion was bow in the whole time so no misplays (positioning wise at least) on his part.

4. The Mushy was dead in all cases and so while he might've survived another volley by going completely bow in to you and hoping RNG favored, he would still have been Xfired by the rest of your team.

5. FDG is the worst T9 BB! It needs a buff! :Smile_trollface:

6. And finally I'd say the Iowa played well in doing what the FDG was perfectly positioned to do at the start but couldn't because FDG is the weakest T9 BB!

Members
3,080 posts
15,941 battles
59 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Why is it I never get opponents like that? LOL!!

Play more random Tier 10 battles. It's very common now days. 

Members
3,080 posts
15,941 battles
56 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I disagree, players are now to blame to the decline of high tier matches...The rush up to tier 10 has been around since beta...

So if players are not to blame, then what is going on up there ??? Answer...

• Power Creep

Power creep has changed the high tier gaming experience for the worst. I look back at CCs high tier battles of 3 years ago, it looks like a Co-op battle compared to what we have today..

Its amazing how WG manage to decrease the fun with questionable implementations.

Oh well, it is what it is.

I don't see how that explains why so many high tier players are showing full broadside as if they have no idea how it will end for them. Why 7/10 battles consist of lemming trains or 80% of the team sitting at one cap. 

What's going on?  It's simple. At first there were a few players trying to rush up the ranks and a few made it to tier 10 with one or two ships. Enough time has passed and now many of those players have rushed 20-30+ tier 10 ships and can barely play any of them properly. Not to mention all the tier 9 and 10 premium ships you can pick up with some $$$.   
Power creep has to do with the ship not the player. It doesn't explain why players play like they haven't a clue about the game mechanics. 

Edited by STINKWEED_

[WORX]
Members
10,759 posts
18,591 battles
1 minute ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Why 7/10 battles consist of lemming trains or 80% of the team sitting at one cap. 

Power creep.... Especially high tiers... The role of ships enters the twilight zone at high tiers... Whatever you think a DD/cruiser/BB/CV is suppose to do, throw it out the window at tier 10.

3 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

don't see how that explains why so many high tier players are showing full broadside as if they have no idea how it will end for them

Again power creep, mid tiers (until some tier 9 BB ships) dont have instant deletion capabilities from a cap away.

6 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Power creep has to do with the ship not the player.

The abilities of the player would depend on the power creep of the ship. FOR EX..

A good player playing a NY will not have the same results as playing a WARSPITE.

Its that, psychological boldness hat is being reflected... I dont see a problem with what you posted... I see opportunity... In a lesser capable BB (maybe the FDG or the Grober)...

You not going to get the same results...

So again I disagree with your assessment.

I have mediocre BB stats, but let me take out an OP ship like the Benjie, MASSACHUSETTS, Mighty MO... Even I can hit those broadsides...  

[-F-]
Members
422 posts
20,992 battles
6 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Example added below

You can tell the difference. Look for the ships at t3 that are driven by people who know what they are doing. At t10, look for the DD that rushes at mach 3 into a cap and is lit up like a Christmas tree. Then look for the DD driver who takes his/her time and tries to take a cap by entering from a flank.  Easy to tell the difference there too. Your better players in upper tiers know the importance of dealing damage without taking it. Your potatoes hug islands with their guns facing the island they cant shoot over

Members
3,080 posts
15,941 battles
14 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

Power creep.... Especially high tiers... The role of ships enters the twilight zone at high tiers... Whatever you think a DD/cruiser/BB/CV is suppose to do, throw it out the window at tier 10.

Again power creep, mid tiers (until some tier 9 BB ships) dont have instant deletion capabilities from a cap away.

The abilities of the player would depend on the power creep of the ship. FOR EX..

A good player playing a NY will not have the same results as playing a WARSPITE.

Its that, psychological boldness hat is being reflected... I dont see a problem with what you posted... I see opportunity... In a lesser capable BB (maybe the FDG or the Grober)...

You not going to get the same results...

So again I disagree with your assessment.

I have mediocre BB stats, but let me take out an OP ship like the Benjie, MASSACHUSETTS, Mighty MO... Even I can hit those broadsides...  

Again, good players know to angle their ships at any tier. This is WOWS 101.   

[WORX]
Members
10,759 posts
18,591 battles
1 minute ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Again, good players know to angle their ships at any tier. This is WOWS 101.  

High tier angling ???? That is disappearing again, Power creep.

• %80 of cruisers at high tiers and at tiers they operate (tier 7 is included because of tier 9 ships). Angling is no longer part of the game...
  • With power creep of guns... BBs will not be able to do so either...

So again whatever was in the WOWS 101 angling section...No longer valid with the power creep trend in 2020 at high tiers  (with the exception of some BBs with heavenly armored bow)... You may still get away with it at mid tiers for now...

I dont even mention angling as a high tier tactic... It just been phased out, again due to Power creep.

It is what it is... What was learn at low and mid tiers and no longer valid or the same for high tiers... Its like entering the twilight zone...

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,609 posts
10,459 battles

I see players broadsiding other ships all the time.  A couple of days ago I witnessed our Iowa turn 90 degrees across the bow of an enemy Yamato.  The Yamato was at about 2k health, and the Iowas guns had to be only a few seconds from another full volley which would have finished it off, because he was taking big chunks out of the Yamato each volley, and I was helping as best I could in my T8 Vlad.  He decided to turn his half health ship 90 degrees and head for an island.  Of course, his guns couldn't keep up with the rate of turn so he couldn't shoot, but the Yamato could shoot so he blapped him out of the game. 

There seems to be a big disconnect for players understanding the game mechanics.  They get into a deer in the headlights flight mode if they get hit semi-hard for even a single shot.

[WOLFG]
Members
29,146 posts
8,353 battles
3 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

@Skpstr @Usedcarjock @Umikami @BarneyStyle

Here's a video from one of yesterday's battles. Pay attention past the 5:00 mark. At one point There are three enemy battleships all very close and all showing broadside. I was having a hard time deciding which to shoot at. We ended up losing but I found all the broadside amusing.  @BarneyStyle you are right about RNG. Take a look at some of my shots. 

Lol that's totally not what I was talking about.

Those guys actually knew you were there and still played shooting gallery!

Members
1,674 posts
12,382 battles
6 hours ago, Umikami said:

I wish to see that replay so I can reead that chat.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,133 posts
19,239 battles
1 hour ago, LadyAnesjka said:

I wish to see that replay so I can reead that chat.

It was …. ugly! Oh …. so …. ugly! Was quite a while ago, long before WG enabled replays, so I don't have a copy of the match. And it was just …. painful. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,133 posts
19,239 battles
4 hours ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Play more random Tier 10 battles. It's very common now days. 

I've been grinding up my tier 9 Cruisers and battleships, so I'm playing quite a few. I do see this occasionally; you saw it for the entire match! I'm green with envy!

Members
3,080 posts
15,941 battles
2 hours ago, Umikami said:

I've been grinding up my tier 9 Cruisers and battleships, so I'm playing quite a few. I do see this occasionally; you saw it for the entire match! I'm green with envy!

Like shooting fish in a barrel