Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
iBrowEcc0

how do you Donskoi?

21 comments in this topic

Members
119 posts
5,077 battles

This ship is frustrating.  The light armor, expose citadel, poor maneuverability, bad concealment, and  slow rate of fire... I rather play the Chapayev at tier 10 than this at tier 9.  

Never had the urge to free xp a ship this bad.

[1984]
Members
4,124 posts
19,914 battles
25 minutes ago, iBrowEcc0 said:

This ship is frustrating.  The light armor, expose citadel, poor maneuverability, bad concealment, and  slow rate of fire... I rather play the Chapayev at tier 10 than this at tier 9.  

Dont really know for sure but i would (re)start with taking the range mod over the rof mod. Then stick to long range he spamming. Never brawl, just pretend those torps dont exist.

[FGNE]
Members
960 posts
4,568 battles

In addition to what monpetitloup said, I can recommend double rudder mod, and kiting.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,744 posts
21,502 battles
3 hours ago, iBrowEcc0 said:

I throw some Type 69 cammo on her to cut the grind in half (+200% XP per battle). Get the daily win bonus and done. Moskva before the patch!

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,086 posts
19,199 battles
2 hours ago, SidTheBlade said:

But.... but.... but.... RUSSIAN BIAS!!!

This is Russian Bias at work, they're tired of all the Russian Bias rants so now tier 9 Russian ships suck. They're biased …. against you. Have a nice day!

Members
6,621 posts
20,628 battles

Are you using IFHE? My understanding is that it Is an IFHE build. It's a find and feast ship. Fine your opportunity and feast on it. Just don't become someone else's  opportunity.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,636 posts
9,465 battles
1 hour ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

Are you using IFHE? My understanding is that it Is an IFHE build. It's a find and feast ship. Fine your opportunity and feast on it. Just don't become someone else's  opportunity.

^This. I’ve seen some posts in other threads where people don’t take IFHE on 180mm guns, and it never made any sense. IFHE bumps your HE pen from 30mm to 38mm. This allows you to farm just about anything at long range using your Russian railguns.

If you are having trouble staying alive, take the range mod in slot six, which pushes your maximum range out to over 19km. Donskoi has good ballistics so you can still be effective against BBs and cruisers at this kind of range, so utilize it until you become more familiar with the ship’s handling (she’s fast but she turns like a bus). Once you’ve figured out her quirks you can switch to the ROF module so you can burn everything to waterline. This worked well for me when I was grinding the ship.

Also, I went with concealment in slot 5 over rudder shift, and find the extra concealment more beneficial, making it easier to go dark when you are under heavy fire.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 2

[BB35]
[BB35]
Members
390 posts
11,030 battles

Ship is a range fighting ship. Turn fire turn.... etc

[NUWES]
Members
3,132 posts
10,683 battles
6 hours ago, iBrowEcc0 said:

I didn't even try Donskoi. Chapayev and the other Russian CLs were such a frustrating experience across the board. The things don't suit my playstyle at all. Even with the rudder mod the things handle like barges. The armor is so thin you take serious hits from anything that stares at you. Mostly all they can do is sit at mid to long ranges and farm damage on BBs. Sooner or later even at those ranges a BB will get a lucky shot off and usually citadel you. I got good damage games and ended up near the top in most games but every one was a loss. You already have the BBs huddling in the back now you add cruisers doing it as well and no one ends up supporting your allied DDs or helping take a cap. I just fxp'ed past Donskoi to get to Moskva so I can have her when she becomes premium. 

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,444 posts
10,195 battles
4 hours ago, tjaluk said:

[edited]

Chappie was easier because it was smaller and you get the super thin plot armor.  Donskoi is gigantor.

It's playable without IFHE just on the fire chance a lone. But yeah, range mod. I went through it stock hull and range and just used range mod and it was fine. You just speed and rudder fumble at near max range and spam HE. There really isn't much else to do until later in the game. If you have to brawl...hopefully it's an Alaska or something.

[WOLFG]
Members
860 posts

Everybody will have their own play style.  I loved Chappie, not so much Donskoi.  I will try and kite whenever possible.  Make sure you have started pointing away from your target before you give up your concealment.    It is a challenge because the thing turns so slow.  By the time I get in position, the target is behind and island half the time. I use Concealment, Steering gears and firing range mods.  I would try out various combos to see what works best for you.  Radar doesn't last long, but I will almost always try and get to an island at the beginning of the game to radar a Cap.  Donskoi, as other said, is much more of a late game player.  I think of it as a support ship.  If your team never gets an upper hand, it's probably going to be a bad game for you.  Just my 2 cents.

[BB35]
[BB35]
Members
390 posts
11,030 battles

If you DO NOT  like the don, you're not going to like the Moskva. 

Moskva is a early game bow in tank shooting at range, then mid gsme you maneuver.  Did I meantion her side is nothing but a citadel with neon bullseye painted on it?

Edited by Gemlin

[WOLFG]
Members
28,966 posts
8,218 battles
7 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

Dont really know for sure but i would (re)start with taking the range mod over the rof mod. Then stick to long range he spamming. Never brawl, just pretend those torps dont exist.

6 hours ago, CO_Valle said:

In addition to what monpetitloup said, I can recommend double rudder mod, and kiting.

I've just gotten into the Donkey, and yeah, these seem key. Especially the range mod. You can land accurate hits at ranges where you can dodge BB fire.

Although unlike Chappy, AP into a superstructure or broadside cruiser at 12-15km can give you good results.

I'm still not sure how to influence with it, but I can rack up damage as well as with Hindy. Just shoot everything, and don't get any closer than you have to.

I know Chappy has it too, but I like the long range radar. That extra couple kms mean you don't have to snuggle up to a rock to get close enough to light stuff.

If Moskva was still going to be the T10, I'd probably stop at Donskoi and keep her.

[WOLFG]
Members
28,966 posts
8,218 battles
3 hours ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

I find that, with the reload, (I use the range mod for 20.6km) unless the target is in open water, you get 2-3 salvoes before they're gone. I always try to have my next target picked out before I fire the last salvo at the existing target.

[1984]
Members
4,124 posts
19,914 battles
40 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I've just gotten into the Donkey, and yeah, these seem key. Especially the range mod. You can land accurate hits at ranges where you can dodge BB fire.

Although unlike Chappy, AP into a superstructure or broadside cruiser at 12-15km can give you good results.

I'm still not sure how to influence with it, but I can rack up damage as well as with Hindy. Just shoot everything, and don't get any closer than you have to.

I know Chappy has it too, but I like the long range radar. That extra couple kms mean you don't have to snuggle up to a rock to get close enough to light stuff.

If Moskva was still going to be the T10, I'd probably stop at Donskoi and keep her.

The pain with the radar is a competent shimmy driver will keep you lit and covered in fish while you have absolutely no recourse. I just dont get radar that cant match detection range, it’s just stealth fire all over again.

[1984]
Members
4,124 posts
19,914 battles
54 minutes ago, Gemlin said:

If you DO NOT  like the don, you're not going to like the Moskva. 

Moskva is a early game bow in tank shooting at range, then mid gsme you maneuver.  Did I meantion her side is nothing but a citadel with neon bullseye painted on it?

This is not true. The donsky eats cits from every angle. The moskva properly angled can bounce any shell she sees. Plus the mosk shells do damage, the donsky shells mostly shatter/bounce. Plus the moskva radar is the real deal. Donsky just gets lit while cant radar what’s spotting it.

[STW-A]
Members
831 posts
7,039 battles
23 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

This is not true. The donsky eats cits from every angle. The moskva properly angled can bounce any shell she sees. Plus the mosk shells do damage, the donsky shells mostly shatter/bounce. Plus the moskva radar is the real deal. Donsky just gets lit while cant radar what’s spotting it.

Moskva and Donkey have the same radar, Donskoi's detection range is ~.6km longer than its radar, so the DD has to be good about playing with that cushion.  Moskva's detection is about 2km longer than its radar range, not really hard to avoid.

To the OP:  IFHE + range build is the most comfortable.  The AP is also solid, don't be afraid to use it on broadsiding ships.  You can get away with reload but you want to stay toward mid-to-long range and stay angled away from the bulk of the enemy ships.  You can use steering gears for active dodging or engine module for throttle jockey games.  You are rangey DPM support that, situationally, can assist in killing DD or pushing caps by radaring as long as doing so won't get you killed.

Edited by Deviathan

[WOLFG]
Members
28,966 posts
8,218 battles
39 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

The pain with the radar is a competent shimmy driver will keep you lit and covered in fish while you have absolutely no recourse. I just dont get radar that cant match detection range, it’s just stealth fire all over again.

This is true, but he's usually pretty busy skeddaddling and dodging focus fire.

Plus, once the DD is lit, I've got the speed to keep him near max torp range. (assuming he's not using the 20km torps, which aren't scary if you know where they're coming from.

[WOLF4]
Members
382 posts
17,050 battles

image.thumb.png.9a1d1c1e87e590ddf962f9ce73a309ec.png

My second game today

My 2 cents. I do not use the double rudder thou I do use it on the Hindenburg. I use the concealment to reposition if necessary also at the beginning of the game i try to push up and help the dds with radar and hydro for any ships behind me and of course myself. Otherwise I usually play range  stay angled and if need go dark reposition otherwise try to support the team with radar and hydro. The other aspect using concealment can always try and flank.  The bbs will beat you up no doubt about. Actually I like the Donskoi.

image.thumb.png.04a271679bf02d451375425e5bdf965a.png

My first match with this ship today  the team went right and I went left and did get a Baltimore flanking. Somewhat a short match.

Sign in to follow this