Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Is Engine Room Protection now the best choice for MOST cruisers?

7 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
5,373 posts
16,127 battles

With the combining of Rudder and Propulsion Mods, is this the go-to for MOST cruiser builds (unless you have some special hydro or other mod)?

Is this more by tier? Low tier cruisers seem to lose rudder/propulsion almost as much as DDs. T10 cruisers don't tend to have propulsion/rudder nailed near as often.

[KSC]
Members
634 posts
9,490 battles

If you don't experience much rudder/engine breakage, then slot 2 is nice for reduced fire chance or special upgrade mods.

Members
925 posts
10,180 battles

Certainly for every cruiser that took the old PM1 (Yorck) or SGM1 (French cruisers), the new ERP will provide an even better benefit.  Looking through my own cruisers I see that most of the others (which do not mount the special hydro, engine boost or radar mods) have DCSM1 installed, though.

• Cool 1

Members
925 posts
10,180 battles

A little late now for discussion since the free demount period is over, but something to consider when comparing ERP vs DCSM1 in upgrade slot 2 for your cruisers, is that DCSM1 provides not only the -5% chance of fire, but also a -3% chance of flooding, but only if your ship has a torpedo protection system.  It is too bad that the wiki does not show ships TPS values, but I scrolled through all my cruisers last night to check them for myself.  Most had some low value (4% for Cleveland, 7% for DesMoines, 10% for Hipper, etc) while some few were a bit better (16% for Mogami, 19% for Worcester and Saint-Louis, etc).  Several on which I had installed DCSM1 had 0 (Chapayev, Smolensk, Fiji, Edinburg, etc) so I demounted it.

Now I figure that a cruiser without any TPS will likely do better with ERP in slot 2, given that they would not get the second half of the buff that DCSM1 could provide.  So those Russian and British ships are getting ERP, and the various ships with known engine/steering vulnerabilities are keeping ERP as well.  I will just keep DCSM1 on the cruisers without specific known vulnerabilities, and which can take advantage of both the fire and flooding resistance buffs.

[CVA16]
Members
5,373 posts
16,127 battles
22 hours ago, Mono_De_Mantequilla said:

is that DCSM1 provides not only the -5% chance of fire, but also a -3% chance of flooding, but only if your ship has a torpedo protection system.

How are these reductions applied? Direct subtraction from the fire/flood chance OR reduces the chance to 95/97 percent of what it would have been?

Direct subtraction:

Fire chance=10%-5=5% (zero if the shell only had a 5% chance in the first place)

Multiplier:

Fire chance=10%x(1-0.05)=9.5%

If the latter, those are pretty minimal bonus'.

Members
925 posts
10,180 battles

The Calculation

The chance to set fire for a single high explosive shell hitting a ship is calculated by the following formula (the formulas for airborne rockets and bombs are similar):

Fire Chance = FRC · ( 1 - DCM1 ) · ( 1 - FP ) · ( FCB - IFHE + DE + Σ S )

where:

• FRC — the ship's Fire Resistance Coefficient (see above).
  • DCM1 — the effect of the Damage Control System Modification 1 upgrade: 5% (0.05) with the upgrade installed, zero without.
  • FP — the effect of the Fire Prevention skill: 10% (0.10) with the skill, zero without.
  • FCB — the Projectile Base Fire Chance (see above).
  • IFHE — the effect of the IFHE commander skill: 1% (0.01) or 3% (0.03) depending on gun caliber, or zero without the skill.
  • DE — the effect of the Demolition Expert commander skill: 0.02 with the skill, zero without.
  • Σ S — the sum of the effects of the mounted Signals Victor Lima +1% chance of causing a fire for bombs and shells with a caliber above 160mm / +0.5% chance of causing a fire for bombs and shells with a caliber below 160mm. / +4% chance of causing flooding. and India X-Ray +1% chance of causing a fire for bombs and shells with a caliber above 160mm. / +0.5% chance of causing a fire for bombs and shells with a caliber below 160mm. / +5% to the risk of your ship's magazine detonating.: +0.01 or +0.005 each depending on gun caliber, else zero.

Flooding Chance

The probability of a ship flooding depends on where it is struck by the torpedo (or rammed by the enemy ship), the presence of upgrades on the damaged ship (specifically, Damage Control System Modification 1), and the signals mounted on the attacking ship: Juliet Whiskey Unaone (+15% chance of causing flooding. / +5% to the risk of your ship's magazine detonating.) increases the chance of causing a flood by 15%; Victor Lima (+1% chance of causing a fire for bombs and shells with a caliber above 160mm / +0.5% chance of causing a fire for bombs and shells with a caliber below 160mm. / +4% chance of causing flooding.) increases it by 4%.

All ships — except destroyers — have torpedo protection for their citadel. As a result, the chance of flooding and damage are reduced even if the ship doesn't have "Torpedo Protection" displayed on the Port screen. Destroyers do not have any torpedo protection, and the torpedo damage reduction bonus of Damage Control System Modification 1 (Reduces the risk of fire and flooding.: -5% to the risk of fire. / -3% to the risk of flooding when torpedoes hit the torpedo protection.) will not work properly when the upgrade is mounted on a destroyer..

In order to calculate the flood chance of a given torpedo versus a given ship, the following formula is utilized:

If the torpedo hits an anti-torpedo bulge:

Flood Chance = (1 - [Torpedo Protection]) x (1 - DCM1) x 0.33 x [Torpedo Flood Chance] x (1 + +1% chance of causing a fire for bombs and shells with a caliber above 160mm / +0.5% chance of causing a fire for bombs and shells with a caliber below 160mm. / +4% chance of causing flooding.) x (1 + +15% chance of causing flooding. / +5% to the risk of your ship's magazine detonating.)
Otherwise:

Flood Chance = [Torpedo Flood Chance] x (1 + +1% chance of causing a fire for bombs and shells with a caliber above 160mm / +0.5% chance of causing a fire for bombs and shells with a caliber below 160mm. / +4% chance of causing flooding.) x (1 + +15% chance of causing flooding. / +5% to the risk of your ship's magazine detonating.)
  • The value of "Torpedo Protection" varies by ship and is displayed in the Port screen.
  • The value of "DCM1" is 0.03 if the appropriate upgrade is installed; otherwise, it is 0.
  • Cool 1

[ALL41]
[ALL41]
Members
26 posts
8,100 battles

I immediately installed the new upgrade on my Furutaka, Myoko, etc...as my Japanese cruisers seem prone to having the rudder disabled.  The added propulsion protection is just a bonus!

Sign in to follow this