You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheDgamesD

Roma issues.

13 comments in this topic

[36]
Beta Testers
248 posts
9,234 battles

Can we please get a Roma buff? I think i have the knowledge of how the ship performs more than WG does at this point (279 games played in her) and god can she be infuriatingly temperamental with that vertical dispersion, I've missed so many ships below 8km because of it. I do everything right and the ship just goes NOPE NAH :etc_swear: YOU.
She doesn't have the accuracy to fight at long range where her armor benefits from its layout, but also doesn't have the armor design (Due to the lack of her historical internal angled armor scheme) to try and knife fight to make the guns work. But then the guns just over pen to the point you go back to long range only to miss all but one shell over and over. I get it her guns do more damage than other 15" guns, but that doesn't excuse the accuracy being beaten to a pulp so drastically.

The AA being so terrible doesn't make sense as historically when used on Littorio, Vittorio Veneto, and other BB's it worked exceptionally well, but seemingly because of Taranto it has to be bad i guess.

For the guns themselves i have many issues with their current state.
Her short range makes playing her at distance a headache. not to mention how short it is bothers me given her title of historically having the longest ranged guns of any BB.
"The guns were the most powerful weapons of their caliber, comparable to those of much greater caliber. This was largely due to their exceptional muzzle velocity, although this came at a cost. The high velocity and energies in the firing chamber lead to a much faster rate of barrel wear compared to other naval guns, and also resulted in excessive dispersion at long range. Because of this, the final velocity of the Palla rounds was reduced from 870 m/s to 850 m/s. Even with this reduced velocity, the 381/50 had the longest range of any rifles ever mounted on a battleship, the 884.8 kg AP rounds able to reach 42.8 km at the maximum elevation of +36º. This out-ranged the 46cm/45 Type 94 of the Yamato-class by almost 800 meters, and the 16"/50 Mk.7 of the Iowa-class by over 4000 meters. The Armor-Piercing shells had similar penetrative ability against vertical (belt) armor to the two aforementioned weapons, but due to the shallow angle of impact and high velocity of the shells, their performance against horizontal (deck) armor was far inferior."
but i get it range had to be balanced.
So while her guns can do more damage she still heavily suffers by not being able to over match 32mm of armor when theoretically given the actual characteristics of the rifle and impact of the shell it's reasonable to assume given a realistic breakdown of shell penetration mechanics making her guns effectively over match as if they were 16" guns makes sense.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannone_da_381/50_Ansaldo_M1934)

Then we have the glaring issue of her ammunition to anyone who remotely knows anything about her guns. They never fired let alone carried any HE ammunition for her 15" guns. Instead she only ever carried AP and SAP historically. Why wasn't this reflected in game? well wargaming at the time used the excuse that there were no plans to ever implement that type of shell. which is obviously now bull given we have an entire line based around them.

Three types of shells were developed for the gun, but only two were actually used.(Bagnasco & de Toro, p. 94)

AP: The primary armor-piercing round, in Italian these rounds were known as "Palla" (literally; "ball") or "Proiettile Perforante" (Piercing Shot"). They were heavy for their caliber at 884.8 kg (1,951 lb), with a small bursting charge of only 10.16 kg TNT (1.15%). The shells were made of nickel-chrome steel, with a steel cap and a Silumin ballistic cap. The total length was 170 cm (67 in), or 4.46 calibers.

SAP: A semi armor-piercing round named "Granata Perforante" ("Piercing Shell") designed for use against lightly armored targets such as cruisers and destroyers. They were lighter than the AP shells with a greater bursting charge (3.57%), and had a significantly lesser penetrative ability. During the war, they showed an unfortunate tendency to fuse later than they had been set to, which lead to over-penetrations of their targets.

HE: High explosive shells, these weighed only 774 kilograms (1,710 lb). Although designed and tested for these guns, they were never actually used aboard any of the ships that mounted these guns.

I can say now In all my countless games in Roma I have never once found the HE to ever be more of a viable choice to fire than her AP. A mix of its low Damage, fire chance and more makes it practically useless. I can bet you there is not a single person that would complain about removing Roma's HE and replacing it with SAP it's HE is so bad.
If anything it would be a massive improvement to the ships performance and would make the dispersion of the shells more justifiable, given the ability to now have a shell that would not only make close quarters combat vs CL as and combat in general vs CA's more balanced, unlike currently where CA's are currently immune to you if they go bow in, an CLs you always overpen due to her High velocity. This would open the door to actually putting thought into what type of Shell you should fire unlike now where using literally anything but the AP even vs DDs is a worse option. In total it would make WG's idea of the playstyle they seem to want her to fit actually work unlike now where she's such a flaming unreliable mess.
1051499434_unknown(3).thumb.png.39bc3787fccd67e5ea968126642c8a4c.png

[--K--]
Members
1,343 posts
10,202 battles

I really like Roma, but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea obviously.  When she’s on, she’s unstoppable, but when off, it’s a hot pile.  

• Cool 1

Members
2,842 posts
8,916 battles

Feel you. That ship can be exasperating to play. Love to hate her. Never know how I'm going to do in it.

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,135 posts
5,005 battles
21 minutes ago, TheDgamesD said:

I can bet you there is not a single person that would complain about removing Roma's HE and replacing it with SAP it's HE is so bad.

I will take that bet. So many people slug HE around, especially with Romas overpens. I see no future where she receives SAP. 

However, she is making a great arguement as to why the rest of the Italian BBs should get SAP if/when they arrive, which is what I am liking

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,427 posts
14,165 battles
16 minutes ago, BarneyStyle said:

I really like Roma, but it’s not everyone’s cup of tea obviously.  When she’s on, she’s unstoppable, but when off, it’s a hot pile.  

She can troll the reds and yourself all in the same match.

[NMKJT]
Members
2,674 posts
7,483 battles
18 minutes ago, BarneyStyle said:

Those games where you do over 70k in chip damage...

[HELLS]
Members
2,663 posts
27,176 battles

She looks good in Taranto port. I put Luigi Sansonetti in her just for laughs. Like fine wine, to be tasted infrequently becase of the high cost...

Edited by GrandAdmiral_2016

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
14,096 posts
19,199 battles

Dear WG: Please make the premium ship I like, and which I have already paid you for so you won't be getting any extra money, better, just for me. Sincerely, A Player.

Good luck with that.

Members
203 posts
2,898 battles

I wanted to love the Roma so badly. With her high pen, I had dreams of hunting tier 10 BBs with her.

But Alas, she just plain sucks. With detection range her only stand out feature you're kind of stuck dumping captain skills into maxing it out. Way too many points that are better spent elsewhere. But secondaries and AA are men, so you can't spend the points there. Maxing out main guns and dispersion won't help these main guns so don't bother spending them there either.

The best move is to just play a different boat.

A 19 point captain cannot make this boat perform.

Buy a Tirpitz, a 19 point captains makes her a total boss!

• Cool 1

[CAST]
Members
4,990 posts
3,513 battles

Roma is a POS. Been hoping for buffs for ages, but she keeps getting overlooked because WG insists on leaving her in her abyssmal state just so they can claim they don't always release OP premiums.

Pros:
- Responsive with fast turret traverse.
- Good forward gun angles
- Great concealment
- HIgh velocity shells that can't be dodged and can easily pen Tier X BB belts.

Cons:
- Miserably bad gun range for her tier.
- Wonky armor scheme that makes it really easy to citadel her if she shows even a bit of broadside. The thick lower belt is deceptive given she can be citadeled by plunging fire into her much thinner upper belt due to the gap between belt and citadel ... and the fact that her actual citadel has virtually no armor.
- Bad AA
- Really bad secondaries.
- Very inaccurate guns
- Tends to overpen cruisers
- Vulnerable to AP bombs.
- Really bad rear turret angles. Cannot kite.

So yeah, a Roma buff would indeed be nice. Personally, I'd increase her range to 20-21km and her sigma to 1.9 from the current 1.8. Not a big buff, but should make her easier to use and more consistent.

Edited by KaptainKaybe
  • Cool 1