You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Landing_Skipper

London vs. Albemarle

12 comments in this topic

[-GPS-]
Members
2,899 posts
35,234 battles

I want Commander Cunningham.  I've just figured out that I need 1 of these 2 ships to get him.  I have some money and I have a lot of Free XP.  So which is the better ship to play?  IOW more competitive and/or fun?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
26,433 posts
14,165 battles

I only have limited experience in them but others have said that the London is the better ship. I don't have the money so doubt that I will have a real shot at him so I plan on picking him up when he is a resource captain.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
5,522 posts
10,532 battles
39 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

I want Commander Cunningham.  I've just figured out that I need 1 of these 2 ships to get him.  I have some money and I have a lot of Free XP.  So which is the better ship to play?  IOW more competitive and/or fun?

I don't have London.  I do have the Albemarle.

Albemarle is a good ship, if a bit "squishy".
She can deal damage, but isn't good at surviving BB salvos to her broadside.  (Welcome to "cruiser life".)

At Tier-8, she'll be encountering Tier-9 and Tier-10 ships with some regularity.

That said, the repair party consumable helps to keep her afloat and she's a good DD hunter when equipped with hydro-acoustic-search.  
With the "Demolition Expert" Captain's skill, she's pretty good at setting fires, too.
Her main guns are reasonably accurate out to their 15.7 km range.
Her secondaries are short-ranged (3 km) and seem to offer the utility of a Tyrannosaurus Rex's vestigial forearms.
The torpedoes pack a wallop, though, and have a decent quantity, launching arcs and maximum range.

As a versatile cruiser, Albemarle is a viable option.

She may not be as fast as the Italian cruisers, but she has more consumables. 
And her rudder-shift can be improved enough to let her wiggle competently.

I've got Exeter.  So I am curious about London.  I'm just not curious enough to spend doubloons on the London, at this time.

• Cool 1

Members
713 posts
5,735 battles

My experience with Albemarle was entirely different.  I think the ship is a floating dumpster fire - mediocre range, poor reload times, weak AP, eats huge chunks of damage regardless of angling due to overmatch.  Fair fire starter, and torps are decent; you can actually stealth torp with a 200m window and a little luck given a full concealment build.  I struggled to a 31% WR in Albemarle and very middling damage averages before getting frustrated and using some FXP to unlock Drake.  I suppose it may be that Albemarle is just one of those ships that will never 'click' for me, but I think the combination of traits of the ship just synergize into a big fat 'meh'.  Don't have London, so can't comment on her.

[WHIT]
Beta Testers
345 posts
23,301 battles

Well I love Albemarle and have a great time win or loss, doesn't matter. Certainly it doesn't have a huge carry potential as it cannot tank very well. However, using some cover to sneak up on isolated ships it can really smash ships and simply heal most of damage taken to get back into fight later. The big difference with these cruisers is that you have to be patient and look for ambush opportunities. It is the exact opposite of HE spammers that shoot at any target from long range. These are designed to get close and personal. That being said, if your positioning is poor and you run into too much opposition then it melts pretty quick.

Anyway I like it a lot. No clue about London.

• Cool 2

[WOLF3]
Members
27,086 posts
23,857 battles
19 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I've got Exeter.  So I am curious about London.  I'm just not curious enough to spend doubloons on the London, at this time.

London is okay but there's 1.5 things wrong with her :Smile_trollface:  I've only been playing with her in Co-op and Operations, not Randoms.

PRO'S

+ Fabulous assortment of consumables for survival:  Smoke and Repair Party.

+ Her 203mm AP can Overmatch certain Tier V Cruiser targets.

+ Respectable concealment at 10.5km with stealth build.

KIND OF "IFFY"

+/- Smoke Gunfire Detection Range - Usually 203mm armed CAs got bad 8km or so smoke gunfire detection range.  WG improved London's a bit to about 6.8km.  CLs are typically around 5.5km.  That's good but considering her meager gun range, that's still about half her max range.  You can get close, just don't get too close to get yourself detected in smoke.

CON'S

- Gun Range.  This is her true, one big "con."  13.4km is her max, no spotter plane, no way to improve it.  Going by Randoms experience, this would be fine in Tier V-VI games where engagement ranges aren't all that long.  But I wouldn't want to test that in a Tier VIII game.  A spotted London trying to engage at 13.4km is "gimme" range to those nasty Tier VIII Battleships.  Do you want to be within 13.4km of a Massachusetts, North Carolina, Amagi, etc?  When you were in such Tier VIII Battleships, what did you consider a Cruiser target at 14km or less range?  I called them, "FOOD."

IJN CA Tier VI Aoba has 14.9km gun range, and I already thought that's criminally short.

Premium Perth this same tier has a terrible 12.8km gun range.  But this is mitigated by having Ninja Cruiser Concealment (8.8km detection in stealth build), creeping smoke, and spotter plane.

London has fair concealment (10.5km in stealth build), smoke to help things out.

Anyways, just saying that with a short ranged cruiser, you have to play smart and disciplined.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[SKI]
Members
248 posts
48,705 battles

Albemarle  no question....it's the first Brit Heavy to have the SuperHeal, and it's DANG good when set up right and

played with Panache' ....

Albem0000x1.thumb.JPG.0adc58783a80dea575b798a1187f6fbb.JPG

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Members
3,115 posts
6,705 battles

I think London is fairly good given that she's a Tier VI heavy cruiser. I don't have any of the tech tree ships yet. Obviously also if you go with Albermarle, you'll be that much closer to Drake and Goliath, for which London will provide you no help.

That being said, you're also a little behind the curve, because the reward tokens for first win in London or Albemarle have already been going on for several days, so you've already missed some of the tokens.

[WPORT]
Members
5,522 posts
10,532 battles
3 hours ago, GunBoatz said:

Albemarle  no question....it's the first Brit Heavy to have the SuperHeal, and it's DANG good when set up right and

played with Panache' ....

Nice win, and nice use of the word panache'.  :-)

[-GPS-]
Members
2,899 posts
35,234 battles

I ended up using Free XP for Albemarle, sticking with my greatly reduced spending on WoWs.  I’ve had some good battles, but this ship gets dev struck as badly or worse than Shchors. Talk about a giant citadel. Good guns though. 

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
5,522 posts
10,532 battles
16 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

I ended up using Free XP for Albemarle, sticking with my greatly reduced spending on WoWs.  I’ve had some good battles, but this ship gets dev struck as badly or worse than Shchors. Talk about a giant citadel. Good guns though. 

Welcome to 'Cruiser Life'.  ;-)

[-GPS-]
Members
2,899 posts
35,234 battles

P.S. just like the Shchors, running the spotter plane and special spotter plane upgrade helps.