You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SGMSteel

Approaching $1M XP - would you get the Alaska or new Cruiser Lines?

13 comments in this topic

[MIR]
WG Staff
8 posts
2,651 battles

Greetings, I don't post much so please don't hate this question. But I am looking for any opinions, thank you. As stated I am approaching $1M in XP, though I still have to convert about 600k to free XP. I've read the reviews on the Alaska. So I am considering adding it to my collection. However with that same $1M in XP I could instead research the new British Heavy Cruiser Line, or the New Italian Line of Cruisers. I am primarily a Cruiser player, some BB's and some DD's for variety.

I have tier X Des Moines, Moskva, Zao, Hindenburg, and Henry IV. So far I am skipping the British light cruiser line until last. I do not have any tier IX. I've skipped purchasing any I've researched so far.

I also acquired the tier X Puerto Rico and I am grinding coal for the Tier X Yoshino Cruiser.

If you had $1m in XP would you use it to research the Alaska Cruiser, or another line of multiple Cruisers you do not yet possess?

Thanks for your time!

[WORX]
Members
10,676 posts
18,567 battles
5 minutes ago, SGMSteel said:

If you had $1m in XP would you use it to research the Alaska

Get the AK, its a BB masquerading as a cruiser... Very OP/over-capable for the +/-2 MM restrictions..

OR

Hoard XP and wait for something better.

IF I were you and you like cruising around in a mini pocket BB... Get the AK... IF not hoard... (I got close to 2 mill. Free EXP. I am not spending it).

Edited by Navalpride33

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts

Seeing that you have PR, there is really no reason to get Alaska in my mind.

My answer would be another cruiser line.

[WW2]
Members
354 posts
6,885 battles

I personally am waiting for the hayate dd to drop. I got friesland and it has its benefits. Just wanted to say if you do end up using it on a tech line I thoroughly enjoy venzia compared to say the salem or Wooster. I think you would probably have fun with it.

Members
1,603 posts
25,121 battles

I have always used FreeXP for premium (>Tier 5) ships, NOT for anything in the standard tech tree - EVER.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,159 posts
19,011 battles

Alaska, 100%.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,984 posts
14,264 battles

Eight stars of gold on a field of blue
Alaska's flag. May it mean to you
The blue of the sea, the evening sky,
The mountain lakes, and the flow'rs nearby;
The gold of the early sourdough's dreams,
The precious gold of the hills and streams;
The brilliant stars in the northern sky,
The "Bear," the "Dipper," and, shining high,
The great North Star with its steady light,
O'er land and sea a beacon bright.
Alaska's flag to Alaskans dear,
The simple flag of a last frontier.

• Cool 1

Members
4,362 posts
11,269 battles

I’d definitely 100% recommend Alaska if you like DM and wish you had something even bigger (or a better comparison is if you enjoyed Buffalo but would love one with bigger guns), or like PR but want one that I’d argue is even better tier for tier.

Both the Italian and UK CAs are supposed to be decent at high tiers but most of the rest of the line is kind of meh so if you really want to play an Italian cruiser you could make a case for jumping up to the t7 or 8 where they start to get decently fun. Personally I tend to recommend saving free xp only for free xp ships and only using free xp to skip lines if there’s a deadline you’re close to and trying to make (like the Russian split if you’re close when it goes live or to finish the last 40k for Monty like I did at the beginning of the second CB season as one of my clan’s main competitive BB players). 

[MIR]
WG Staff
8 posts
2,651 battles

I want to thank you all for your insight and opinions. I will carefully consider all as I reach that $1M in XP.

Smooth Sailing!

Members
831 posts
4,679 battles

I got the Alaska but never really played it much after a few goes at it. I much prefer the Georgia.

If I didn't have any high tier premium ships then yeah, get it, but I do.

That said, I doubt there's going to be any useful Free XP ships coming down the pipeline anyway, so really it's do I want a FXP ship, or do I want to smash through a tech tree line easily.

[CVA16]
Members
5,391 posts
16,216 battles
On 2/18/2020 at 1:31 PM, SGMSteel said:

I still have to convert about 600k to free

That makes for an expensive purchase. Guess somebody has to help WG keep the lights on.

I find I enjoy Alaska (but did not like the Buffalo). Georgia is fun too. Different styles of play. Right now I use my Des Moines captain for those and the Salem. Not the ideal build for Georgia but I'm trying to get him to 19 pts.

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles

Late to the show.  I say Alaska.  She may get pulled.  The new Cruiser Lines are here to stay and aren't going anywhere.