You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheArc

I'm stunned at how bad the AP is on the Albemarle

32 comments in this topic

[FORM]
Members
1,638 posts
11,379 battles

I enjoyed the T6 Devon, the T7 Surrey was ok, though the AP was underwhelming. But after 5 battles I have to say that the AP on the Albemarle seems pretty much worthless. Might be ok against lower cruisers, but does not have the penetration power at all against equal tier BBs up close, or even cruisers for that matter. I guess I'll stick to the current game meta HE spam and see how that works out. Definitely disappointed that a "heavy cruiser" has to be played like a short range and very fragile HE ship. :-/

Will someone please tell me the Drake & Goliath are better at least?

• Cool 2

[TBW]
Members
10,290 posts
17,484 battles

Try the London, they tout the HE, so I think they did some thing bad to the AP.

[O7]
Members
1,030 posts
4,419 battles
17 minutes ago, TheArc said:

I enjoyed the T6 Devon, the T7 Surrey was ok, though the AP was underwhelming. But after 5 battles I have to say that the AP on the Albemarle seems pretty much worthless. Might be ok against lower cruisers, but does not have the penetration power at all against equal tier BBs up close, or even cruisers for that matter. I guess I'll stick to the current game meta HE spam and see how that works out. Definitely disappointed that a "heavy cruiser" has to be played like a short range and very fragile HE ship. :-/

Its tied with 203 Mogami for the worst heavy cruiser penetration at T8

image.thumb.png.6572ae0b18c0e8c08ea1cfe7d285ab8b.png

• Cool 3

[FORM]
Members
1,638 posts
11,379 battles
12 minutes ago, DolphinPrincess said:

Well, blerg. I guess I'm glad at least to know it wasn't just one of those 'git gud' moments. 

So, HE spam it is, how novel!

[NUWES]
Members
3,138 posts
10,749 battles
27 minutes ago, TheArc said:

I don't have Albemarle yet but Surrey, London and Devonshire all seem to have poor AP penetration. Alb has the same guns so I doubt it is any better. I thought it was just bad luck on my part or user error until I was watching @Notser's video over the weekend and he confirmed it with largely the same experience I was having. The ships themselves are ok but the AP really only works well on complete cruiser broadside. They are iffy on BBs on anything other than the superstructure. I was having trouble going through the upper belts on same-tier BBs. USN AP these are not. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,664 posts
14,770 battles

The guns planned for Albemarle had a 131.5kg shell, in game they get the same 116.1kg mass of the older shells. 

So there's a deficit there. 

For some reason Devonshire and Surrey mount the wrong guns, but still use the older shells. 

Peculiar. 

Edit - corrected erroneous numbers.

Edited by mofton
  • Cool 2

[ARRSE]
Members
192 posts
1,402 battles
25 minutes ago, DolphinPrincess said:

Does anyone even play 203 Mogami?!

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
11 minutes ago, Turbogerbil said:

Some people do. 15.5 Mogami has many shortcomings still inherited from nerfs applied 4 years ago when certain captain skills still applied to guns up to 159mm.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,574 posts
7,677 battles

The British CAs are gonna be the only RN tech tree I will not have any ships in, you can guess my opinion on them. 

• Boring 2

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
15,738 posts
26 minutes ago, mofton said:

The guns planned for Albemarle had a 131.5kg shell, in game they get the same 116.1kg mass of the older shells. 

So there's a deficit there. 

For some reason Devonshire and Surrey mount the wrong guns, but still use the older shells. 

Peculiar. 

Edit - corrected erroneous numbers.

Hell, Devonshire looks like a 1905 armored or protected cruiser, "modernized" in the early 1930s with turrets in place of the old armament.

Seriously, though, why do they all have the "wrong" guns? 

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,984 posts
14,272 battles
14 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Hell, Devonshire looks like a 1905 armored or protected cruiser, "modernized" in the early 1930s with turrets in place of the old armament.

They are not Russian ships??  :)

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,664 posts
14,770 battles
15 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Devonshire was a very nice cruise ship and it's a shame they had to detract from the comfort of her guests by adding all those horrible loud guns!

I don't know, WG seems to make a habit of odd gun choices for the RN in particular. The destroyers have some oddities, Valkyrie uses the wrong shells (and different from Vampire so it's not like it saved effort or anything), Wakeful uses the 60lb 4.7in gun from Lightning for some reason.

The RN 15in guns are all over the place on Krupp and drag. The 9.2in cruiser guns went through several iterations, Hawkins got a huge drag buff because without it her circa 1917 guns would be unplayable - so sometimes it is purely gameplay, others it's simply odd.

[SCOM]
Members
187 posts
9,027 battles
42 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Some people do. 15.5 Mogami has many shortcomings still inherited from nerfs applied 4 years ago when certain captain skills still applied to guns up to 159mm.

At least now you can take the updated Turret rotation mod (MBM2) to help with with the super slow turrets.  That was the worst part of using the 155s.  I still love the 155 Mogami.

Back on topic the Albemarle AP is terrible, nothing like seeing a broadside cruiser after waiting on your long reload AP and getting nothing but basic pens and shatters.  Its HE and super heal work pretty well though.

• Cool 1

[1984]
Members
4,130 posts
19,959 battles
1 hour ago, Turbogerbil said:

Playing 155 mog makes no sense unless you have 14pt captain minimum. And 155 mog only made sense when bft/aft/stealth fire was intact.  So yes 203 mog the first time around.

as for the brit ca, the tier 6 sucks. The tier 8 was funny in coop because you can catch broadside, but that was my first game in it so mm smiled on me (top tier against tier 6). 

Edited by monpetitloup

[ALWC]
Members
1,180 posts
14,096 battles
1 hour ago, Turbogerbil said:

It’s called the Atago or Takao and has much better torp angles 

[AE-AC]
Members
47 posts
3,819 battles

Oh...The T8 Albermarle...Piece of JUNK...

I unlocked it, then purchased it..What a waste of 8 million credits.

14.7 km range at T8 is suicide, slow as molasses and the guns are terrible.

One big, giant citadel for others to farm damage on.

(At least I got the T5 and T7 for free.)

• Cool 1

[WOLF4]
Members
382 posts
17,058 battles

Albermarle AP sucks concealment not bad with the 10k torps, HE hits okay, turrets slow but playable, super heal works nice at times. If the super heal can be timed with the damage taken.The ship is kinda a trick to  play without being cannon fodder.

Members
404 posts
3,852 battles

Against lower tier cruisers, I scored 10 citadels in a Coop game but yeah - that's about it. 9 million credits to get those extra Brit, er, are they Royal? tokens.

It's my first Tier 8 ship. Cleveland or Baltimore are next, and they seem more promising.

[FG]
Members
566 posts
4,799 battles

It is certainly disappointing how poor the AP on the RN CA line is general. 

Giving them good AP would hardly make them more than decent ships. 

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles

The HE focused Heavy Cruisers have the lackluster AP shells:  IJN, FR, RN.

Those are the ones with nice HE alpha and above average fire chances.

Edit:  Even the IJN Super Cruisers are expressly oriented towards long range HE gunfire.

The ones with weaker HE shells got better AP, also counting ITA CAs that have high AP Pen.  USN, German 203s, ITA

If you want CA guns with high AP performance, these are the ones you want.

Edit:  I'll even count the Russian 180mm+ gun Cruisers here, i.e. Molotov, Dmitri Donskoi, Moskva, Kronshtadt, Stalingrad.  Toss in USN Alaska and Puerto Rico with this group also.  Their strength is in AP shells, not HE.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
9,249 battles

I got the Disablemarle in a crate, and I want my money back.

It is slow to turn, slow to react, VERY slow to load, low range, and has a massive citadel.

It has no useful consumables.

And its AP is useless.

"Meh" is wasted on this ship. It does not even rate a "meh".

[WOLF3]
Members
27,081 posts
23,857 battles
9 hours ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Ahh, the days when BFT & AFT buffed 155mm and smaller guns.  Those were glory days.

CLs typically reaching out to 17km or more.

Tier VI Cleveland used to reach 17.6km.  BB players used to bitterly complain about her so much and every day was a new BB thread wanting her nerfed.

Tier VIII 155-Mogami was the same thing, but she didn't have the notoriety because she was higher tier and less people were there, while the bulk of us nerfherders were still bandying around in Tier IV-VI.

From the glory days, Konigsberg with AFT reaching out to 19.8km.

:Smile_glasses:

On 10/23/2015 at 10:12 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

With Tier 4 Advanced Firing Training Trait, Hull-B, Gunfire Control System Modules, and Main Gun Accuracy Upgrade...

5L6Gdgv.jpg

Her Max AA range is now 6.0km.  My Tier VI Elite Cleveland with the same trait has max range of 17.6km.

Omaha used to be called "OPmaha" and everyone kept theirs after moving on down the US Cruiser Line.

Tirpitz was still new.

RU DDs had just come out at around the same time as German Cruisers.

No German BBs yet.

No IFHE.

The CVs however were a lot nastier and in those days, there were a lot of them.  Getting Triple TB Dropped by old Tier VII Hiryu was a fun time.  Hiryu's Strike Spec used to be 0/3/3... No Fighters, 3 TB squads, 3 DB squads.  Shokaku in Tier VIII was the same.  Zuiho in Tier V was the War Goddess and nightmare there.

IJN DDs and their torps were at the peak of their power.

+/-3 MM, i.e. Wyoming facing Nagato, Colorado.  Colorado facing Yamato.

Islands of Ice used to be a lot cooler

Etc.

Crazy, almost lawless times in that era.

Personally I'm heavily biased for that era of the game because there were a lot less gimmicks, the IJN vs USN balance was a lot more "pure," and of course, the game was still new and we were all still scrubs figuring it out.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
8,359 posts
14,162 battles
6 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Ahh, the days when BFT & AFT buffed 155mm and smaller guns.  Those were glory days.

CLs typically reaching out to 17km or more.

Tier VI Cleveland used to reach 17.6km.  BB players used to bitterly complain about her so much and every day was a new BB thread wanting her nerfed.

Tier VIII 155-Mogami was the same thing, but she didn't have the notoriety because she was higher tier and less people were there, while the bulk of us nerfherders were still bandying around in Tier IV-VI.

From the glory days, Konigsberg with AFT reaching out to 19.8km.

:Smile_glasses:

Omaha used to be called "OPmaha" and everyone kept theirs after moving on down the US Cruiser Line.

Tirpitz was still new.

RU DDs had just come out at around the same time as German Cruisers.

No German BBs yet.

No IFHE.

The CVs however were a lot nastier and in those days, there were a lot of them.  Getting Triple TB Dropped by old Tier VII Hiryu was a fun time.  Hiryu's Strike Spec used to be 0/3/3... No Fighters, 3 TB squads, 3 DB squads.  Shokaku in Tier VIII was the same.  Zuiho in Tier V was the War Goddess and nightmare there.

IJN DDs and their torps were at the peak of their power.

+/-3 MM, i.e. Wyoming facing Nagato, Colorado.  Colorado facing Yamato.

Islands of Ice used to be a lot cooler

Etc.

Crazy, almost lawless times in that era.

Personally I'm heavily biased for that era of the game because there were a lot less gimmicks, the IJN vs USN balance was a lot more "pure," and of course, the game was still new and we were all still scrubs figuring it out.

Love this post, @HazeGrayUnderway.  Sure makes me miss the simplicity of the old days, regardless if it was broken or not.

Also, the original Islands of Ice was one of the best and unique maps in the game.  You know, back when before all the maps became a cookie cutter blueprint of each other.

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts

The Drake and Goliath are better but really you need to think of the RN CA's as the same as IJN CA's, not USN CA's; they are HE Spammers, not AP performers (outside of the Drake/Goliath). Devonshire's is nice, as is Aobas fyi (the extra 2 barrels helps), but you should be leaning on HE not AP in them as they do not have the improved angles of USN or Penetration.

Edited by _RC1138