You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CyberKnife

CV's are a plague that needs to be addressed

396 comments in this topic

[O7]
Members
1,030 posts
4,421 battles
2 minutes ago, CyberKnife said:

CV's are a nuisance and a plague on this game for all ships and for DD's they may as well be the hand of God that can smite you to death as soon as the whim strikes them.

We know.

But nothing has been done and this post, like all the ones before it, will not make a difference.

• Cool 24
  • Boring 3

Members
1,493 posts
10,862 battles

thousands have complained, supertesters, cc and the best players in the game will always tell you cv are broken and unbalanced but it doesnt matter to wargaming as long as they get people playing and paying they dont care.

• Cool 4

[SALVO]
Members
2,026 posts
6,200 battles
10 minutes ago, CyberKnife said:

CV's imo are the single biggest problem in the game today. The issues of imbalance they cause are long and serious. Especially for the DD mains like me. Making the CVs beyond easy to play, removing all limits of planes on board letting them print more, making Defensive AA, AA modules and AA builds worthless and impotent, adding rocket planes that almost never miss and can automatically remove anywhere from 10 to 50% of a DDs health, start fires and break modules every strike which can now be repeated 3 times every time they launch a plane instead of the 1 strike before, making CVs impossible to burn and making CVs striking other CVs and countering them a thing of the past because they're one of the few ships with God Tier AA defense and free fighters....and lets not forget the basic problem with CVs from the start. They can kill and do damage to all ships with no chance of losing a single HP themselves making them an entirely different type of unit. Every other ship risks its life and HP to attack. CVs risk absolutely nothing now that they print new planes as they're shot down.

But lets not forget the single most air tight and irrefutable argument that CVs after 9.0 are beyond Over Powered. All CV captains that know how to play will with EVERY LAUNCH throw away 1/3 of their attack power by bombing the water and not even using one full squadron (which also has the effect of preventing you from making a dent in their already overpowered print new planes scheme by making it so you can't even take a shot at that squad (plus the ability to hit a key and instantly remove their planes from danger of damage the second they complete their attack ...not having to fly into and out of the AA that is already mostly useless in stopping planes on the way in to attack).

Finally in every poll I have ever seen upwards of 80% of players wish CVs didn't exist or there was a button to select a CV free game. They could never put in a CV free option because there would instantly be absolutely nobody in that que except CV players...the tiny minority that they are. At the very least the vast majority of players wish the CV rework would be rolled back so that CV's would require more skill to play and the majority of players who favor other ships would have a way to  counter them again by shooting down all their planes if they played poorly or God forbid making AA work again. I always think of my Fletcher as an example. Pre 9.0 my AA on the Fletcher would shred any planes that stumbled into my AA bubble and any CV foolish enough to attack a AA specked ship/captain with DAA would just lose that squadron. Back then you felt like you could do something if a CV came after you....some counterplay. Now ..any CV that wishes to kill a DD can execute that DD in 3 attacks or less with the DD having absolutely no way to avoid being swatted like a gnat. You can't out run them. You can't hide from them. Even if you decide to waste a smoke trying to hide you still will take a full damage hit because you can't smoke up faster than a CV can strike you. Even if you manage it...they simply hover above waiting for your smoke to fade then take their 3 full immunity from you harming them attacks at you and either kill you outright or damage you so badly your game is basically screwed (assuming he dosen't return in the next minute or so and finish executing you as easily as shooting a bound man in the head).

CV's are a nuisance and a plague on this game for all ships and for DD's they may as well be the hand of God that can smite you to death as soon as the whim strikes them.

Tis true.  But the wallets of thousands of potatoes spoke that they must be able to farm damage without risk and thus all we can do is wail. In  hope that one day overlord and master Sub_O has the forehead smackingly obvious realization that this CV implementation does not work and CVs get put in their own little short bus queue.   

Edited by eviltane
  • Cool 7
  • Confused 1
  • Boring 7

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,666 posts
14,778 battles

It is good to see the forums work as a safety valve as designed. 

They're not really for feedback, as WG don't give a toss. Or maybe to be fair, they give your feedback 1/20,000th of a toss as a single player. 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,204 posts
14,348 battles
1 minute ago, eviltane said:

they must be able to farm damage without risk

This is a lie.

I've seen plenty of carriers go down under surface gunfire and DD torps, I've sunk them that way myself, I've hurt them with carrier aircraft, and I have both deplaned and been deplaned - losing aircraft at a rate which so outstrips the regeneration rate of all my squadrons that I might as well have nothing left. 

• Cool 13
  • Boring 7

0 posts
11 minutes ago, CyberKnife said:

the hand of God that can smite you to death as soon as the whim strikes them.

to be honest, I enjoy CVs for this reason. Playing "plink the enemy dd/cruiser/bb" when and where ever I feel like it. I mean, it is supremely empowering, deeply satisfying, to press click, and watch in cinematic glory, reds explode, flood, burn, and then sink. Not much has changed since the old RTS glory days. 

From today :

image.thumb.png.94f3be3bc090f18137f51a0a

not all were dds, just most of them :Smile_popcorn:

As I am sure you can understand, I have had a deeply satisfying and empowering day.

image.png.c8e3783a123c6d75825588aa31d820

• Cool 5
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 2

[BBQ]
Beta Testers
202 posts
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

This is a lie.

I've seen plenty of carriers go down under surface gunfire and DD torps, I've sunk them that way myself, I've hurt them with carrier aircraft, and I have both deplaned and been deplaned - losing aircraft at a rate which so outstrips the regeneration rate of all my squadrons that I might as well have nothing left. 

I wouldn't say no risk yet extremely lower risk compared to all other ships. And if someone is deplaned in a CV, well, that is just a bad player or someone who had a bad game. I'm sure there are exceptions, there always are, yet CVs are the one class with the lowest risk in the game.

[TFLT]
Members
281 posts
13,319 battles
10 minutes ago, DolphinPrincess said:

We know.

But nothing has been done and this post, like all the ones before it, will not make a difference.

I agree...but keeping this front and center day after day...everytime we lay eyes on the forum will give us the best chance to have it addressed. If we all just say "it sucks, we hate it, that's the way it is" and stop putting it in front of WG's face every day all day THAT will guarantee nothing is done. At this point it's the only thing we can do. Somewhere, sometime it will come up at a meeting at WG. If the players don't force the discussion WG will be all to happy to let it ride. The one thing WG does notice is cash flow. A constant stream of players closing their wallets due to frustration being rubbed in their nose is, in my estimation, the only possible way to get this massive problem looked at. What we need to overcome in reality is the EGO and time that a group of employees still there at WG spent designing and working on this monstrosity of a rework. It is difficult to get people whos livelihood depends on successful development to admit they screwed the pooch and their work was trash that needs to be undone. Once the rage and profit loss overcomes the ego and time/money spent on the rework you will see change. Admittedly it will take repeated repetitive posts over time to make it happen if at all. One think I do know is that just staying quiet about it and accepting it will definitely not get us to the change we seek. That's my take on it anyway. 

I do get what you're saying though. 

• Cool 3
  • Boring 3

Members
215 posts
5,348 battles
1 minute ago, LoveBote said:

to be honest, I enjoy CVs for this reason. Playing "plink the enemy dd/cruiser/bb" when and where ever I feel like it. I mean, it is supremely empowering, deeply satisfying, to press click, and watch in cinematic glory, reds explode, flood, burn, and then sink. Not much has changed since the old RTS glory days. 

From today :

As I am sure you can understand, I have had a deeply satisfying and empowering day.

You put Yamamoto Isoroku in that seat right.... remember wheelie his words in Transformers 2?
'Watch the magic"
Nothing more satisfying than breaking them spirits and will to fight.

• Cool 1

[MERCB]
[MERCB]
Members
4,381 posts
20,047 battles
8 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

This is a lie.

A perfect example that potatoes do play CV's also

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
20,204 posts
14,348 battles
3 minutes ago, Bguk said:

I wouldn't say no risk yet extremely lower risk compared to all other ships. And if someone is deplaned in a CV, well, that is just a bad player or someone who had a bad game. I'm sure there are exceptions, there always are, yet CVs are the one class with the lowest risk in the game.

Perhaps, but the rework gutted their alpha strike capability at all but the highest tiers. It's extraordinarily difficult to get a Devastating Strike in a carrier; you just about need the enemy ship to detonate for that to happen these days.

Members
509 posts
16,122 battles
26 minutes ago, CyberKnife said:

CV's imo are the single biggest problem in the game today. The issues of imbalance they cause are long and serious. Especially for the DD mains like me. Making the CVs beyond easy to play, removing all limits of planes on board letting them print more, making Defensive AA, AA modules and AA builds worthless and impotent, adding rocket planes that almost never miss and can automatically remove anywhere from 10 to 50% of a DDs health, start fires and break modules every strike which can now be repeated 3 times every time they launch a plane instead of the 1 strike before, making CVs impossible to burn and making CVs striking other CVs and countering them a thing of the past because they're one of the few ships with God Tier AA defense and free fighters....and lets not forget the basic problem with CVs from the start. They can kill and do damage to all ships with no chance of losing a single HP themselves making them an entirely different type of unit. Every other ship risks its life and HP to attack. CVs risk absolutely nothing now that they print new planes as they're shot down.

But lets not forget the single most air tight and irrefutable argument that CVs after 9.0 are beyond Over Powered. All CV captains that know how to play will with EVERY LAUNCH throw away 1/3 of their attack power by bombing the water and not even using one full squadron (which also has the effect of preventing you from making a dent in their already overpowered print new planes scheme by making it so you can't even take a shot at that squad (plus the ability to hit a key and instantly remove their planes from danger of damage the second they complete their attack ...not having to fly into and out of the AA that is already mostly useless in stopping planes on the way in to attack).

Finally in every poll I have ever seen upwards of 80% of players wish CVs didn't exist or there was a button to select a CV free game. They could never put in a CV free option because there would instantly be absolutely nobody in that que except CV players...the tiny minority that they are. At the very least the vast majority of players wish the CV rework would be rolled back so that CV's would require more skill to play and the majority of players who favor other ships would have a way to  counter them again by shooting down all their planes if they played poorly or God forbid making AA work again. I always think of my Fletcher as an example. Pre 9.0 my AA on the Fletcher would shred any planes that stumbled into my AA bubble and any CV foolish enough to attack a AA specked ship/captain with DAA would just lose that squadron. Back then you felt like you could do something if a CV came after you....some counterplay. Now ..any CV that wishes to kill a DD can execute that DD in 3 attacks or less with the DD having absolutely no way to avoid being swatted like a gnat. You can't out run them. You can't hide from them. Even if you decide to waste a smoke trying to hide you still will take a full damage hit because you can't smoke up faster than a CV can strike you. Even if you manage it...they simply hover above waiting for your smoke to fade then take their 3 full immunity from you harming them attacks at you and either kill you outright or damage you so badly your game is basically screwed (assuming he dosen't return in the next minute or so and finish executing you as easily as shooting a bound man in the head).

1- You cant deplane me

2- I can farm damage

3- 4 CVs in a match ruin the game for 18 other people but I don't care about your enjoyment level

4- I REALLY ENJOY ruining another players fun by harassing them the whole match with waves of planes

5- DDs are a virus and need to be put in their rightful place and exterminated

6- I can spot you till the end of time cause there is no counter

7- Most AA is a joke up to Tier 7 and 10 minutes into a Tier 8-10 battle AA is weak

8- Finally 1 good CV player will deliver his team a win because a average CV player doesn't have enough skill..

Edited by Anij
  • Cool 4
  • Boring 2

[TFLT]
Members
281 posts
13,319 battles
8 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

This is a lie.

Sure..me too. At the end of the game after all is lost and the winning team pushes past the spawn of the beaten team and finally chases down the CV. It is a well known fact that CVs are nearly impossible to burn down. I have sat spamming them one on one for the longest time and they either won't catch fire easily or the fire is extinguished in moments doing little damage. The point I was making is that CV's have no skin in the game until VERY late game when the issue is decided. NO CVs die in the first half of the game...or even 3/4ths through the game in most cases. Their biggest risk is having to wait a bit to print new planes. Their survival is never in question until the very end of the match. This is a fact. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[ISLA]
Beta Testers
644 posts
12,085 battles
27 minutes ago, CyberKnife said:

My recommendation would be to grind a CV out. Odd request?  I found personally  that doing that has made me a better play knowing the limitation of the CV.  I like to play alot of DD, i have all of them, doing so i have learned to limit the damage or straight out right kill there squadrons with easy.  Play them to T10 you will learn alot

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[S-N-D]
Banned
3,327 posts
7,738 battles

If CVs are OP then play one. I never fill up on amusement from those who state it that won't bother. Save all the ehonor crap because before the rework the forums spent all day every day going back and forth about which class to nerf next and crying about every other class being OP.

In the interim get your ADD under control and let the CAs screen for your DD. That means put them in front of your DD until such time it is strategically viable for you to lead. Or alternatively, continue trying to fit a square peg into a round hole and have a good cry on the forums. I suppose it's cathartic.

Additionally, when you state CVs are impossible to burn down did it ever occur to you to use AP? No? Streamer didn't create a video showing how you can citadel them with your DD?

tumbleweeds and crickets

Edited by _Caliph_
  • Cool 10
  • Boring 3

[YETI]
[YETI]
Members
542 posts
12,263 battles
25 minutes ago, CyberKnife said:

Making the CVs beyond easy to play, removing all limits of planes on board letting them print more, making Defensive AA, AA modules and AA builds worthless and impotent,

How do you make claims about how easy CVs are to play and false claims of no limit on planes worthless when you don't play CV? Sure planes can regenerate but other ships never run out of ammo. AA shouldn't be an invisible force field so no planes can get through like the old days.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[TFLT]
Members
281 posts
13,319 battles
9 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

From today :

You couldn't have made my point better. You kill most ships at will but DDs have absolutely no chance to avoid you killing them at will. No counterplay. No risk to you. As happy as this makes you to kill with no risk or consequence it makes the person you execute at will angry, frustrated and less and less interested in playing causing harm to the game community and the long term health of this game.

If you enjoy causing pain, anger and frustration...well, that is unfortunately a side of human nature that people lacking empathy and maturity tend to relish. Hurting those and lording power over the helpless. If you enjoy it but feel empathy for your helpless victims you may be a decent human being. I can guess from the taunting nature of your post that you belong to the former not the latter but again, that is just a guess based on the taunting tone of your post.

Regardless this dynamic of players being able to destroy others at will and cause them to be frustrated and want to quit the game is the opposite of fair play and game balance and your post demonstrates that better than I ever could.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 5

0 posts
7 minutes ago, Anij said:

8- Finally 1 good CV player will deliver his team a win because a average CV player doesn't have enough skill..

this is my favourite bit. Skill matters, and the best team wins. Others hate that, they think it unfair when the better players win. The same people who want skill based matchmaking, hate the idea that skill matters.

• Boring 1

[TFLT]
Members
281 posts
13,319 battles
2 minutes ago, DeadIyArT said:

My recommendation would be to grind a CV out. Odd request?  I found personally  that doing that has made me a better play knowing the limitation of the CV.  I like to play alot of DD, i have all of them, doing so i have learned to limit the damage or straight out right kill there squadrons with easy.  Play them to T10 you will learn alot

Personally I don't think that adding one more game destroying ship to the queue is the answer to the problem at hand. I have played them in Coop and was able to discern the limited moves I could make to mitigate the effect of the CV. I stress the word limited.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WORX]
Members
10,726 posts
18,582 battles
47 minutes ago, CyberKnife said:

OP did you stated you quit and uninstalled the game back in the game patch 0.8 ago ???

Does this mean you're officially back or are the official "forum ghost"??

Edited by Navalpride33

[PIG]
[PIG]
Members
1,219 posts
5,696 battles
23 minutes ago, CyberKnife said:

Polls never showed 80% of players are against CVs, at the contrary, they show majority of players are fine with them... Not extremely happy but simply fine. Much more players complained about over powered cruisers like Smolensk and so on. Your post is same as all anti CV posts : "I'm too lazy to learn playing CV battles, I don't like CVs, please nerf or simply delete CVs". 

The only thing we can agree is your comment about dropping ordnance in the sea to downsize squadrons. But CV players have been asking since a long time a mechanic to size squadrons before take off... A specific drop is the slingshot that is, yes, unfair or let's say developers simply didn't réalise this could be done. I hope WG will fix both as dropping bombs is ridiculous and slingshot is unfair.

Remove 50% health happens sometimes as sometimes DDs AA can delete an entire squadron if sector reinforcement is used. It's part of the game... I see many DDs drivers who have no problem to deal with CVs, they WASD, they smoke, they on/off AA, the sector reinforce, they stay close to an AA cruiser, they hide and hunt and sink the CV.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[TFLT]
Members
281 posts
13,319 battles
4 minutes ago, Admiral_Andy said:

How do you make claims about how easy CVs are to play and false claims of no limit on planes worthless when you don't play CV? Sure planes can regenerate but other ships never run out of ammo. AA shouldn't be an invisible force field so no planes can get through like the old days.

I don't need to crash my car into a wall doing 100 mph to understand and comprehend the damage it does and the problems it causes. I'm fully capable of watching CC reviews, seeing the effect of the ship on every game I play and the reaction of those players that play against them, comprehending the abilities of the ship and the changes made without having to participate in causing grief to others. I don't need to get Ebola to understand the effects it has.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3