Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

IFHE change and secondary builds

9 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
5,391 posts
16,202 battles

I have noted from various threads that some will take IFHE on their secondary build BBs. Will the upcoming (WIP?) changes to IFHE make taking  it less likely?

• Cool 1

[SACH]
[SACH]
Members
990 posts

Imo WG will have  to let people Respec for free for the new rework . I run French BBs and Germans but German BBs are not affected by the IFHE changes. Let's see what kind of disaster comes of it now.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
1,658 posts
9,465 battles
27 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

I have noted from various threads that some will take IFHE on their secondary build BBs. Will the upcoming (WIP?) changes to IFHE make taking  it less likely?

You will definitely no longer be seeing it on Gneisenau and GK. Currently, the 128mm secondaries of these ships pen 31mm of plating (128/4=32, so they can pen 31mm). With the change to the general rule of HE pen, these guns will be able to pen exactly 32mm without IFHE.

[WORX]
Members
10,635 posts
18,550 battles

Until the stats, parameters and figures are no longer WiP... Will see what we have to do to adapt... Until then, I am not even going to bother worrying.

[CVA16]
Members
5,391 posts
16,202 battles
5 hours ago, Versili said:

Imo WG will have  to let people Respec for free for the new rework .

I assume they will. Problem is there is always the ship(s)/captains I forget to respec. Especially if the captain isn't currently on a ship.

I have accumulated quite a few ships over the years. It is a major undertaking to open each ship and check which modules I have and which ones might be better. I could easily see it taking a couple of hours depending on how much research and consideration I put into each.

Edited by Sabot_100
  • Cool 1

[UN1]
Members
1,215 posts
3,652 battles

German BB's will see a passive buff with the HE formula changes, as their 128mm guns will penetrate 32mm of armor (instead of 31mm) and their 150mm guns will penetrate 38mm of armor (instead of 37mm).  The 105mm guns will be unaffected, but all German brawlers will see a passive buff of some sort.

American BB's, in my opinion, will be largely unaffected.  The value of IFHE on ships like the Mass, Georgia, and Ohio is grossly overstated.  Taking IFHE only affects their anti-cruiser performance which American guns, due to being slower and less likely to overpen, are already extremely potent against anyways.  Not everyone shares my opinion on this, but this comes from not running IFHE on my American secondaries for a long time, and yet I still get huge damage games.  American secondaries outperform pretty much everything else mainly for two reasons:  They're more accurate, and due to superior firing angles, more of them firing at a given time.  The latter effect is actually the more potent variable surprisingly enough, as a lot of German secondary ships have very poor secondary firing angles.

French ships will be most affected.  For ships like the Alsace and Gascogne that outright require IFHE to be effective, this is a huge hit.  Republique and Bourgogne are less affected as they don't require IFHE like the Alsace does, but there is still value to taking it there, as their 152mm mounts have a much faster rate of fire and can pen 32mm of armor with IFHE.  They also have a very high fire chance on their secondary mounts, which is not-so-high anymore once you take IFHE.  Jean Bart is technically in the same boat as the Alsace and Gascogne, but secondary builds on this ship are not recommended.  In fact, it's not even the firing angles that hurt the secondary performance on this ship compared to the Alsace.  It's the fact that the 152mm turret just behind the superstructure on the Alsace is significantly more accurate than anything else in the game.  This is a bug, and is one of the reasons the Alsace performs so well in a secondary configuration.  The Jean Bart doesn't have this performance improving bug.

• Cool 1

Members
831 posts
4,679 battles

The importance of Fire Prevention for BB's in the HE spam meta makes IFHE a really marginal choice to begin with. If you're one of those players who think every ship needs concealment expert no matter what you can't even do a secondary build properly with IFHE.

[A-K-A]
Beta Testers
145 posts
4,622 battles

completely destroyed destroyer/secondary gun viability, good work WG .......

Sign in to follow this