You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DuckyShot

Why is the clan naval base so isolated

10 comments in this topic

[GGWP]
Members
7,208 posts
16,685 battles

Look around at you clan naval base. What an isolated place. There is not a single road or railroad going into it. Not even an airstrip. The only access is by water, either the ocean or the river. 

It makes you start asking questions. Like why are there cars there? Seems like transporting them in for such a small base would be cost prohibitive. 

Why would they build ships there? Seems like the cost of shipping goods into a remote location with limited access would be cost prohibitive. 

Why would they build a naval base there anyways?? It's not like it looks like a good harbor or anything. 

Do they seriously ship all their officers to a remote location on a boat where the costs are likely higher than anywhere that has land access to the rest of the country? 

It honestly looks like the most mundane, dreary place to live. 

The things I think about... 

Edited by Ducky_shot
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
2,662 posts
6,777 battles
15 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Like why are there cars there? Seems like transporting them in for such a small base would be cost prohibitive.  

To drive around the base! Who wants to walk everywhere ?  They even got cars up in icy  isolated ports in Canada.

Why would they build ships there? Seems like the cost of shipping goods into a remote location with limited access would be cost prohibitive. 

Secrecy.   If your building yamato 2.0 you don't want noone seeing it. 

Why would they build a naval base there anyways?? It's not like it looks like a good harbor or anything. 

Secrecy, its obvious.  All eyes on it can be easily controlled.  Also I think that dry dock is for maintenance , never seen a ship build there. 

Do they seriously ship all their officers to a remote location on a boat where the costs are likely higher than anywhere that has land access to the rest of the country? 

2 words:   Scapa Flow.    Main Naval base in the middle of nowhere.  

Edited by eviltane
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
20,105 posts
12,922 battles
19 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

It honestly looks like the most mundane, dreary place to live. 

What Officer's club doesn't have a golf course?

[XBRTC]
Members
3,154 posts
10,065 battles
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

What Officer's club doesn't have a golf course?

These days, the better question is “what naval base has an O-club?”

Seriously.

The USN has gotten so paranoid about alcohol issues that if you were seen spending time at the O-club it could hurt your career. Nobody wanted to get tagged with the label of alcoholic.  As a result, most USN surface fleet bases don’t even have one, or if they do it’s severely restricted in operating hours. Last place I was, it had been closed for years, and was only opened on a rental basis for special events.

[GGWP]
Members
7,208 posts
16,685 battles
1 hour ago, eviltane said:

Secrecy, its obvious.  All eyes on it can be easily controlled.  Also I think that dry dock is for maintenance , never seen a ship build there. 

The naval base has an upgradeable shipbuilding yard... 

[SALVO]
Members
2,662 posts
6,777 battles
1 minute ago, Ducky_shot said:

The naval base has an upgradeable shipbuilding yard... 

Well still, secrecy. Don't want to build your yami 2.0 in plain view. 

[GGWP]
Members
7,208 posts
16,685 battles
10 minutes ago, eviltane said:

Well still, secrecy. Don't want to build your yami 2.0 in plain view. 

So how many ships did the British build in Scapa flow? Lol

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
4,002 posts
12,479 battles
2 hours ago, eviltane said:

To drive around the base! Who wants to walk everywhere ?  They even got cars up in icy  isolated ports in Canada.

Secrecy.   If your building yamato 2.0 you don't want noone seeing it. 

2 words:   Scapa Flow.    Main Naval base in the middle of nowhere.  

I got 2 more words for you: Diago Garcia. Even more remote and in the Indian Ocean.

[JTF67]
Members
116 posts
5,474 battles

OP is right, Annapolis isn't in the middle of no where. Our shipyards aren't in the middle of no where.

[WOLFC]
Members
520 posts
7,746 battles

Actually, it makes perfect sense. 

Given that our ships have no crews, and the only 3 "humans" I've seen in game are the 3 guys stuck on the boat with the containers (how much polishing does that torpedo need, anyway), I think the whole thing is automated. Kind of like a Westworld of Warships. 

And since you really don't want to give the bots any ideas, you stick that naval base as far away from civilization as you can. Otherwise, robot revolution!

:Smile_izmena:

• Funny 1