You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Shadow2k1

Gameplay Question

23 comments in this topic

Members
29 posts
873 battles

I don't even know where to begin with this post.

I've been playing this game for awhile, i either play Cruiser or Destroyer, and my issue is....

No matter what i do, Rush, Idle, Stay back, No matter what i do i always lose.... I rarely can get a single win.... and my question to you all is..

If you're really bad like me... Meaning i rarely win.... How do you get higher tier ships.

And before you tell me it buy them.... I'm not rich... like most gamers are.... So buying ships is out of the question...

Also i can't really do any achievements to unlock ships, cuz i'm only tier 3 or 4.... So... it's impossible for me to do the requirements to get a really nice ship.

Should i just uninstall.... I have no friends to play with, i'm a loner on this game... so it really sucks... that every battle i go into, i got no friends to play with. So i'm really wondering if i should just uninstall....

I'm not hating on the game, it's just i lose 24 7.... i don't even know the last time i won... it's that bad for me... so i dunno what to do =/

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,780 battles

Join a clan. Some clans take in people to train them, I think one is ADOPT. 

Switch to coop. 

Watch videos.

Choose 1 line, grind it. Soon you will be up to T6. Then grind that in Operations, grind out a 19 point captain....

[SSBN]
Members
165 posts
6,498 battles

You only have 206 random battles, no need to give up bud. There's way too much game information for people to try to help here and way too little game experience of yours for them to analyze your play. If I was starting this game today, my best bet would be starting out with YouTube tuts. I'd suggest iChasegaming , he recently starting updating a lot of his vids and even the older ones still have a ton of useful info. Another great one, that has fewer vids but has better single gameplay replay tips(IMO) is Destroyer Kuroshiokai. There's many other choices, they're just top of the list for me personally. 

On top of the YT vids, there's also endless info in https://forum.worldofwarships.com/forum/139-game-guides-and-tutorials/

Also don't be afraid to go back to co-op for a while. It'll allow you to get better and more importantly build your confidence.

Edited by Sic_44

[VOP]
Members
592 posts
10,209 battles

You have only scratched the surface with this game and the number of battles you have now. Take your time. Learn your ships and learn to play them well.  It doesn't mean you will not earn stars you just will not earn them quickly. Even in Randoms you earn good stars for a loss. 

The mechanics change with every new ship you earn so take the time to learn them. See if you can div up with someone from your clan. Always play to the objectives of the match. Capping gets you stars. Don't rush to top tier. 

I  am a co-op main and have Tier 8 ships. Been playing for 4 years now. Having the "new shiny" all the time is not the best way to progress in this game. Learning your ships well is along with the new mechanics for each ship type.  This forum is a wealth of information too!

Most importantly though is to have fun. 

Good Luck! :Smile_honoring:

[ARGSY]
Members
22,452 posts
16,322 battles
26 minutes ago, Shadow2k1 said:

I don't even know where to begin

You begin by asking for help, as you have done.

@Lord_Zath does weekly replay streams in which he analyses and comments on your play, offering you help to improve. The rest of the stream watchers will also chime in with advice. He has helped me immensely, and you will find many of my replays featured on his YouTube channel, including some in lower-tier ships (Wakeful, Emerald, Kuma, etc). My mistakes (and I make plenty of them) are there for you to learn from, as are those of others.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3Xy0NjaupmmfvZ90Zeq2PQ 

@Destroyer_KuroshioKai will do a private analysis of your DD play and send you the link for his analysis video, for your eyes only. The only downside to Kuro (to the extent that there is one) is that the vast majority of his public DD vids are in ships at much higher tiers than where you currently are, and you need to be able to pick the general principles out of what he's demonstrating rather than particular-ship strengths and foibles. If you can do that, he's great value - probably the best DD teacher I know of.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-CVV_QxU4CesZL5pvdJw4A 

In addition, there is no shame in playing in co-op mode until you know your ships better and are more confident in your abilities. The win rate there is very, very high and it will give you confidence and help you stay in the game. There are people who have been in the game for years and play nothing but. You might get there SLOWER, but the getting there will be more fun.

Dealing with repeated losses is no fun. It's something to be tackled when you have the confidence to face defeat and learn from it, and that isn't always the case - even for me, two and a  half years into the game. 

Co-op exists to take that bad taste out of your mouth. Use it often.

36 minutes ago, Shadow2k1 said:

So... it's impossible for me to do the requirements to get a really nice ship.

Some of the nicest ships in the game are in the tech tree, IMHO. A "really nice ship" doesn't guarantee you victory or make you a better player; what does that is experience. Start with the contacts and content I gave you, and move on from there. And remember that there is no backward progress in this game - plod along inexorably, improve bit by bit, and you WILL get to the point where those "really nice ships" become winnable. I can remember what that was like.

[F4E]
Members
310 posts
8,905 battles
50 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Join a clan. Some clans take in people to train them, I think one is ADOPT. 

Switch to coop. 

Watch videos.

Choose 1 line, grind it. Soon you will be up to T6. Then grind that in Operations, grind out a 19 point captain....

This, and I strongly second the recommendations to make use of the material from CCs such as Lord Zath and Kuro, also watch the instructional series done by Mejash, iChase, and Flamu.  

Once you have a T5 ship, you can start knocking out the daily missions, earning more flags, consumables, and coal.

There are some fun ships down at the lower tiers and the game play is different once radar enters the mix.

[SALVO]
Members
2,720 posts
6,816 battles
1 hour ago, Shadow2k1 said:

I've been playing this game for awhile, i either play Cruiser or Destroyer, and my issue is....

No matter what i do, Rush, Idle, Stay back, No matter what i do i always lose.... I rarely can get a single win.... and my question to you all is..

If you're really bad like me... Meaning i rarely win.... How do you get higher tier ships.

And before you tell me it buy them.... I'm not rich... like most gamers are.... So buying ships is out of the question...

Also i can't really do any achievements to unlock ships, cuz i'm only tier 3 or 4.... So... it's impossible for me to do the requirements to get a really nice ship.

Should i just uninstall.... I have no friends to play with, i'm a loner on this game... so it really sucks... that every battle i go into, i got no friends to play with. So i'm really wondering if i should just uninstall....

I'm not hating on the game, it's just i lose 24 7.... i don't even know the last time i won... it's that bad for me... so i dunno what to do =/

Hey bud .  First steps first. To solve the social situation as this game is infinitely better  when playing with some one else. See if you can find a more active clan. 

For your gameplay tips in general check out Flamu or Flambass or any other of the mentioned CCs in this thread on YouTube and Twitch. 

You do carry a positive win rate on your Clemson and Wyoming.  BBs as a whole are positive For you.

For nice ships many of the Tech Tree ships are very nice and competitive. Even in the games competitive scene tech tree ships are seen in all roles and are used on all the teams.

Edited by eviltane

Members
29 posts
873 battles

Yea i need to find a good clan or someone willing to play with.  I mostly suck at random, that's where my main problem is. But the reason i play random, you get alot more experience, versus Co Op.

If i play Co Op i get like 300 - 500 per game if that.... and if i play random i get like 1000  - 1500 if i'm lucky... so that's why i play random, to level up and get ships faster... But... i guess i could play co op.. i'll just be really meh.. and take forever to get ships heh. But i'll figure something out.

As for finding a social friend, or someone to play with.. I don't really know alot of people who are low tier, and will play with another low tier... most people in clan's i've been in, are like Tier 6 - 10 and i'm not... so alot of these users don't really play with me, cuz they don't have super low tier ships.

But i agree i need to find people to play with, who are User Friendly, and accepting of all types of players. Just wish i knew some heh...

Appreciate all the feed Back !!!! Means alot to me :)

[-VT-]
Members
1,027 posts
27,576 battles
17 minutes ago, Shadow2k1 said:

Yea i need to find a good clan or someone willing to play with.  I mostly suck at random, that's where my main problem is. But the reason i play random, you get alot more experience, versus Co Op.

If i play Co Op i get like 300 - 500 per game if that.... and if i play random i get like 1000  - 1500 if i'm lucky... so that's why i play random, to level up and get ships faster... But... i guess i could play co op.. i'll just be really meh.. and take forever to get ships heh. But i'll figure something out.

As for finding a social friend, or someone to play with.. I don't really know alot of people who are low tier, and will play with another low tier... most people in clan's i've been in, are like Tier 6 - 10 and i'm not... so alot of these users don't really play with me, cuz they don't have super low tier ships.

But i agree i need to find people to play with, who are User Friendly, and accepting of all types of players. Just wish i knew some heh...

Appreciate all the feed Back !!!! Means alot to me :)

If you see me online send me a invite I'll Div. up with you and hopefully provide some useful tips and tactics. If you get killed in a game switch your view to a ship on your team that is doing well and just watch what the player does, it may be helpful.  

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
6,193 posts
18,870 battles

No worries man.  First off T4, and below are learning tiers. Even T5 can be considered a learning tier (in transition).

The fun part about WOWS is it really is a very deep game.  Deep means it can take a long time and lots of battles to reach a point where you feel comfortable playing well, and a lot more before you actually feel like you're "good".  It took me thousands of games before I felt comfortable, and a few thousand more to actually reach a point where I'm confident in my play.

It can seem overwhelming.  Just hang in there.  Take each game as a learning experience.  Evaluate what worked and what didn't work. I remember my early days...I got deleted a lot.  I'd reflect on why.  What could I have done better?  Over time, I didn't repeat those mistakes.  There are still situation, even after 15,000 games where I look back and conclude I did something wrong.  But those are fewer now.

Just keep on swinging.  Keep on learning.  Over time, things will click.

And remember, sometimes it doesn't matter how good you play, you will lose.  And sometimes you can really suck at a match and still win.  The key is to be good enough to swing the close games into the win column.  That will come...with time.

Members
29 posts
873 battles

I just got out of 3 games, and the users called me a POS - Piece of crap..... for playing on "their" server..

I also keep asking for friendship, only to get blocked... so maybe i don't belong on this game...... u_u

I know games are toxic but... this one takes the cake...

[SMOKD]
Members
43 posts
11,935 battles
13 minutes ago, Shadow2k1 said:

I just got out of 3 games, and the users called me a POS - Piece of crap..... for playing on "their" server..

I also keep asking for friendship, only to get blocked... so maybe i don't belong on this game...... u_u

Unfortunately some players of this game can be extremely toxic. My advice is to just ignore them. We were all in your shoes at one point. Hang in there bud, it does get better ( or you just learn to ignore it) 

As others have said YT vids from the names already listed are great resources. So is googling “ wows*ship* Guide/ tips” helped me a lot coming up the lines as some lines each ship plays different than the one before it. I also highly recommend that if you do die early, don’t just exit to port right away; stay and watch how others play, pay attention to what they do differently than you did. Biggest way to get insight imho. If you ever see me in game send me a message and if I’m not in a div I can certainly play around at the lower tiers with you. O7

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
6,193 posts
18,870 battles
3 hours ago, Shadow2k1 said:

There is no excuse for that kind of behavior.  Anyone that gets toxic in low tiers is either (1) A poor player themselves, or (2) A veteran player seal clubbing or stat padding (and should know better than to berate new players).  

I play low tiers occasionally, but I'll NEVER berate a player.  I'll give suggestions..try to help. But I have a philosophy that anything (except intentional team killing or chat spamming) goes in T4 or below.  Good players running low tiers gotta give a LOT of consideration for new players.

Now...if you acquire a T8 while you're still grinding T4...and take that to Random...well...I won't berate you...but you might get a "plays poorly" karma from me if you play stupid.

Again, hang in there.  Learn how to mute toxic players.  Learn...and ESPECIALLY have fun.

[LSNB]
Members
1,636 posts
4,989 battles

Luckily, encounters with these guys are few and far in between. Most of us here are nice and willing to help when it's asked for, but we don't really take people who come on to flash their ego very seriously.

Keep improving; don't let this discourage you :cap_like:

[ALLY]
Members
353 posts
19,790 battles

Shadow,

I am just like the rest of the group responding to you.  I was definitely in your shoes when I first started.  I remember that I was at Tier 7 in my Colorado being called the same thing you just were and being stat shamed because my win rate was 43%.  I am very hard headed though and after 22+ years in the military, they were not calling me anything as bad as what I heard there and the fake guns shooting at me are a lot better than real ones.  Every ship plays differently even in the same tech tree sometimes.  You should really watch the videos that people have suggested and concentrate on one line of ships until you learn how to play that line.  Even great players make a mistake and get deleted quickly sometimes.  They know what they are doing and it happens especially when playing DDs and CAs.  Omaha is a floating citadel that if it gets hit right from a BB you are back in port very quickly.  I have a lot of games played and I still have a lot to learn.  It is spotty when I am online, but you are welcome to invite me to team up if I am online and I will share with you the little knowledge that I have.  Don't give up and don't let the fools who treat others that way win.  I do not like to golf because you can hear comments like that on the golf course also.

C130 signing out

WoWS Community Contributors
3,466 posts
13,652 battles
6 hours ago, Shadow2k1 said:

Send me a replay.  I will send you a private youtube video of the game with a coaching commentary.  Do you have Discord?

I was alone playing this game for probably my first year.  I looked at clans and eventually joined to play competitively and made some good friends along the way.  It was the best decision I have made in the game.  There is a clan out there thats a perfect fit for you.

• Cool 1

[H_]
Members
751 posts
12,268 battles

Actually compared to other games this one is not nearly as toxic. Ignore them..  Playing alone can get tiresome, so when i do i usually switch between Randoms, coop and Operations. You may need to wait on operations until you move up a tier or so.. 

Suggestion -  Play the ship you like best -  say 5 - 10 game in a row..  Switch to the next ship you like best -same thing on the games -  you will grind both lines up and it provides a bit of a change of scenery while doing so..  Also if you loose 3 or 4 in a row, quit for the time being.. take a break come back to it. 

Coop to me is what i really wish the entire game was like - aggressive action - move up shoot and scoot - it allows you to try the limits of what you can do with a ship and teaches you some brutal facts about how to angle your ship and what your ship can take and dish out.  Yes the rewards are lower.. but game are faster.. 

Randoms - is a mess.. but can be fun and yeah does provide better rewards, oh and by the way at the tiers you are at you are not always playing against NEW players, a lot of Veteran players drop down to the lower tiers to play. .

One thing about DD play - you can only be effective if you are alive !..  and sometimes this means you won't get all the big rewards.. 

Keep at it.. 

Watch some of the video's that WG offers, some decent ones on the basic mechanics of the game, especially watch the vid's on "Aiming".  Make sure you "Alt battle" interface is turned on to full.  

[TDRB]
Members
5,162 posts
13,743 battles
6 hours ago, Shadow2k1 said:

I've seen a lot of good suggestions in other's post. YouTube does have a ton of videos on how to play.

Don't overlook advancing your commanders. 10pt commanders seems to be the generally agreed upon minimum for being successful with T6 or higher ships. Some require 14pt commanders to start to shine.

I suggest playing more coops. When you get a T6 ship start playing operations except for Defense of Newport Station. Do a couple of randoms from time to time to test the waters and go from there.

In the lower tiered battles you do find seal clubbers. Whether it is to pad their stats, give grief to new player, both or something else these more experienced players with high point commanders are there & you are at a disadvantage.

[GRETA]
Members
455 posts
16,439 battles

Some of these toxic players are spoiled 12 year olds with bad attitudes and a keyboard. 

Coop teaches you bad strategy. Randoms can be brutal if you learned those.  You can learn aiming points and angling but you wont top the leaderboard as often because you are learning. 

Higher tier ships, 6 and above, are not a solution. Mistakes get punished more quickly.

Learn to angle. Last weekend I learned what I thought was a good angle was actually still vulnerable, and I have played a lot.

You have seen ship variation by class and by tier. Many that same nation will be a similar style. 

Perhaps take a ship and play the hell out of it. When I was very mediocre,  probably 48% wr, I found a ship I really liked. After 20 games I was over 50%. After 200 it was 56%. After 400 it was 60%. Since then I ran that line and others up to T10. It was T4 and I don't play 10 games a year in it now. 

My suggestion while learning. If you are going to cap in a dd back in and do not smoke up. Not go in and u -turn. You will be surprised how your life expectancy improves. Use smoke as an emergency escape. If you go to cap in a dd make sure someone is there to cover you.  Sometimes you are most valuable to your team in a spotting role. Semi- aggressive works better than aggressive or passive in most dds.  

In BBs and Cruisers as you are approaching an attack or to be attacked have some semblance of an attack  plan and an escape plan If I get in trouble I cant turn that way because of an island. It will become more sophisticated over time. Angles and distances make a difference.  

Just because a ship is with range does not mean you should fire. Many times waiting to fire is far more effective.

Know your enemy ships strengths. There are a lot of ships so start with generalities. Like which countries cruisers have 4 km torps, etc. 

Most new players don't know anything about the minimap settings and how to change them.  

I'll stop here. Books could be written on this. 

Send your video to destroyer Kuro. He is highly skilled and explains things very well. 

[-K-]
SuperTest Coordinator, Alpha Tester, WoWS Community Contributors, Wiki Editor
6,010 posts
22,527 battles

o/  e-mail link sig!

[GOB]
Members
2,521 posts
On 2/18/2020 at 6:47 AM, Shadow2k1 said:

That is this place.  Sorry to say , if you can't take it or tune them out you will never make it here.  WG likes that stuff though. It could be halted in 3 weeks.  I guess they think it's Salty and cool.

Members
29 posts
873 battles

Yea i kinda figured....... No matter what PVP game you go into, or try to play, you will get alot of toxic people.

I usually block them, and play Co Op or do other things.

[YORHA]
Members
5,203 posts
10,372 battles

Hang in there.  You have a total of less than 500 battles... you've barely knocked the dust off your ships. I remember my first PVP battles. Win?  Hell... I was thrilled just to have survived.

It does get better IF you want to learn and progress.