You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RagingxMarmoset

Drake and Goliath: reload or range?

10 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
1,653 posts
2,811 battles

I kind of defaulted to reload with Drake but I’m wondering if that’s a mistake. The upgraded FCS only brings her reach to 15.7 km. Could a case be made for being able to hit at 18.4km? She feels like she’s made to play at range but, but then the reload is 18 seconds. What’s everyone running?

[BOMBL]
Members
1,203 posts
15,184 battles

Range. Anything under 18 is crazy at t9/10. Zao gets away with it with the UU due to stealth and agility. RN CA have money of that

[HSD]
Members
744 posts
12,657 battles

I started with reload on the Goliath, then converted over to range and never looked back.

The reload is nice when you are in range, but that is the kicker, staying in range of targets. A range of just under 17km in a somewhat clumsy large ship. That range restriction pushes you forward too much because you need to be in range to keep up the DPM to properly utilise the reload. Targets go dark you need to find a new target, a simple scenario is trying to stay with 16km of a red BB to put fire on him while enemy DDs and Cruisers are an interminable distance between that BB and you, putting you potentially into perma lit territory. Light Cruisers can get away with smaller range due to stealth, mobility, rate of fire to put out a short burst of damage then retreat and islands (you can use islands to, but it is awkward).

Range gives you so much more buffer to maintain fire on at least one target whilst being able to go dark if the pressure builds up.

Reload module does nothing if you are unable to use the reload because you keep getting forced out of range of the consistent targets.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,685 posts
23,759 battles

On Drake, I am running reload, spotter plane, and the spotter plane upgrade mod. 

[BOTO]
Members
1,403 posts
16,959 battles
13 hours ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

I kind of defaulted to reload with Drake but I’m wondering if that’s a mistake. The upgraded FCS only brings her reach to 15.7 km. Could a case be made for being able to hit at 18.4km? She feels like she’s made to play at range but, but then the reload is 18 seconds. What’s everyone running?

I recommend reload on Drake because she has a spotter plane and her shorter gun range isn't that bad in relation to her concealment.  I've only got 4-5 games in the Goliath and I'm starting to think I might try the range mod on her because she doesn't have a spotter plane.  I think the reload on Goliath is just too long though.

[NUWES]
Members
3,283 posts
11,840 battles

I don't have either of those two yet but my experience on the other cruiser lines is unless you have high velocity shells or big BB-like alpha strike capability, extending the range doesn't do much. It makes more sense to me with Italian or Soviet railgun shells, or the Japanese or Germans.   BBs (and large cruisers) also make sense because that long range lucky shot can chunk a huge amount of health off of a cruiser. UK cruiser shells are almost like the Americans. They hang so long that an alert enemy can move. Couple that with a slow reload you can't do much aim correction and the individual shell damage isn't that huge for the expenditure to make them hit. My position is it is generally better to increase ROF so you can increase damage while the enemy is in your effective range rather than extend the ineffective range and take potshots which individually won't do much. It's just my opinion, but long-range floaty, cruiser pot-shots aren't worth expending upgrades. Use the spotter for the few times it will make a difference. 

Members
6,873 posts
21,362 battles

20% in the Albemarle and 90% in the Drake... go figure...

I don't think it matters which you choose on these ships, the 15 or 18 second reload is so bad that you don't get many shots in either way using your spotter plane. And in most cases, the enemy goes undetected for a portion of the spotter planes flight time.... so... maybe 3-4 shots? The shells seem floating at long distance as well.

My limited experience in these is that …..use this ship to creep around and ambush, hit hard and fast and get away, usually closer than ranged or spotter plane would make a difference. 

Not a fan at all of this line so far.... very milk toast…. but reload seems to be the better call.... although earlier I felt ranged was.

[D-H-O]
Beta Testers, Volunteer Moderator
304 posts
6,639 battles

When I tested it, I went range on the Goliath and Drake.  I never did try reload.  I absolutely loved range and here's why I think I got pretty good games out of it:  Range at the beginning of the game coupled with decent accuracy meant that I could hit BB's superstructures early on and get good chunk HE damage off them before the became HE damage saturated.  You could get lucky and get a fire that stuck on a second salvo because the slow reload and shell travel time would mean if you caught them on fire the first salvo you most likely had run out their DC by the time a second or third salvo came in... then they burn.   Later in the game, the HE became more useful for fire starting as BB's were getting saturated.  Early game salvos on BB's could get you a good 10k on a salvo. 

Can't think of more than 1 or 2 out of a ton of games I didn't break 75k in damage.