You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BC124

please help CVs

77 comments in this topic

[WKY09]
[WKY09]
Members
46 posts
10,744 battles

are carriers still being looked at?? They still are just sub-par in my opinion. Every ship can achieve a devastating strike expect CVs. 
Just so sad about the rework, but I wonder if there is still hope or does WG think CVs are just fine and complete....

• Cool 6
  • Funny 5
  • Confused 10
  • Boring 9

[RSF]
Members
159 posts
11,665 battles

From what i have read and seen on the streams WG thinks cvs are in a good place right now. I do feel the same as you when i drop torps and they miss because them ship turns and avoids them since they are soooooooo slow. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2

[KAPPA]
Members
3,119 posts
8,857 battles
11 minutes ago, BC124 said:

are carriers still being looked at?? They still are just sub-par in my opinion. Every ship can achieve a devastating strike expect CVs. 
Just so sad about the rework, but I wonder if there is still hope or does WG think CVs are just fine and complete....

Simply put, a CV isn't supposed to get dev strikes anymore. They are fine despite that, as there is more to life than dev strikes.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[BGSSC]
[BGSSC]
Members
2,638 posts
10,713 battles

CVx can get dev strikes when they have to engage in close combat like every other ship.

Yeah, I know...I get the boring emoticon....but really, its true.  CVs get their damage over time, not in a single alpha strike, because they last til the end of the game.  If you want them to get the alpha strike, they have to give up something, and that is the chance of getting blapped themselves.  I want to be able to dev strike ships in my cruiser without being in range from any other ship, because , why not?  CVs want it, why can't I have it too.  It sounds crazy because it is.  That being said, I have seen CVs take most of the health off a DD in a single pass.  I've seen that with some cruisers as well.  By the time the full squadron is finished its 3 or more runs, some poor ships don't have much game left.  That's pretty close to a dev strike, just without the final kill.  A low health kill is usually picked up when the CV tracks down some poor ship that tries to hide and just tries to contribute something the rest of the game.

Edited by Murcc
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 5

[KAPPA]
Members
3,119 posts
8,857 battles
Just now, gprix84 said:

From what i have read and seen on the streams WG thinks cvs are in a good place right now. I do feel the same as you when i drop torps and they miss because them ship turns and avoids them since they are soooooooo slow. 

If you have trouble, trap them with a drop from behind and then hammer their side. Either they slow down to escape the first drop and are too slow to dodge, or they have to take torp(s) from the first drop to dodge the second.

That said, if you think torps are too slow, play IJN CVs and buff torp speed with the skill and mod.

[O_B_G]
Members
215 posts
7,031 battles

You still get them using torps but they rare . The graph Zeppelin might fare better with its secondaries but i've yet to see that happened.
You should see the outrage with one single torp takes out a T8 ship or 10. The rage and loss of Karma is guarantee lol its beautiful.
Yet some camping BB that get a dev strike get praise and its business as usual.
Don't worry you'll get them and i hope you relish in them tears of them because that makes my day.
Yes I'm an agent of Chaos :Smile_coin:.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[SALVO]
Members
25,883 posts
28,240 battles
3 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

Simply put, a CV isn't supposed to get dev strikes anymore. They are fine despite that, as there is more to life than dev strikes.

The problem for me is that early on, WG said that they wanted CVs to rely more on DoT's.  The problem is that unless you attack a ship that has recently expended a DC party or even has a fire obviously burning, it's rare in my experience for the CV player to create his own DoT's unless the target ship's player is pretty dumb and uses a DC party on the first fire/flood on your first pass and then you come back shortly thereafter to get another one going.  Also, flooding hits seem relative uncommon because air dropped torps are a good deal weaker than ship launched ones.  And fire starting with plane attacks don't seem all that common either.  Not rare, just not overly common.  And the amount of time that it takes to get another squadron out to the target ship from the CV usually takes so long that you can almost expect that the target ship's DC party has come off cooldown, and you have to start the process all over again.

Thus, it seems like CVs are left depending on whatever direct damage they can produce.

Regardless, I agree that dev strikes aren't the end all and be all.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,382 posts
13,080 battles
2 minutes ago, Skidmark_01 said:

You still get them using torps but they rare . The graph Zeppelin might fare better with its secondaries but i've yet to see that happened.
You should see the outrage with one single torp takes out a T8 ship or 10. The rage and loss of Karma is guarantee lol its beautiful.
Yet some camping BB that get a dev strike get praise and its business as usual.
Don't worry you'll get them and i hope you relish in them tears of them because that makes my day.
Yes I'm an agent of Chaos :Smile_coin:.

Graf Zeppelin isn't going to dev strike anything beyond a detonation, just like any other carrier. It's just not on the menu anymore.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,119 posts
8,857 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

The problem for me is that early on, WG said that they wanted CVs to rely more on DoT's.  The problem is that unless you attack a ship that has recently expended a DC party or even has a fire obviously burning, it's rare in my experience for the CV player to create his own DoT's unless the target ship's player is pretty dumb and uses a DC party on the first fire/flood on your first pass and then you come back shortly thereafter to get another one going.  Also, flooding hits seem relative uncommon because air dropped torps are a good deal weaker than ship launched ones.  And fire starting with plane attacks don't seem all that common either.  Not rare, just not overly common.  And the amount of time that it takes to get another squadron out to the target ship from the CV usually takes so long that you can almost expect that the target ship's DC party has come off cooldown, and you have to start the process all over again.

Thus, it seems like CVs are left depending on whatever direct damage they can produce.

Regardless, I agree that dev strikes aren't the end all and be all.

CVs are terrible at DoTs by and large up till Midway and Audacious. Hakuryuu is more about alpha, but Midway and Audacious can start multiple fires per hit, let alone per squad.

Members
2,044 posts
52 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

The problem for me is that early on, WG said that they wanted CVs to rely more on DoT's.

Which given that rework testing started out with CVs actually having MORE alpha than RTS CVs is kinda... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12k alpha torps and 16k alpha bombs were topkek.

In the end CV play is still more about alpha strike than it is anything else. Reworked CVs put out about the same or even more damage than RTS CVs because of a way faster rate of fire. For every strike that a RTS CV flew, a reworked CV flies about 2 and a half. DoT is just the icing on the cake.

[SALVO]
Members
25,883 posts
28,240 battles
4 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

Which given that rework testing started out with CVs actually having MORE alpha than RTS CVs is kinda... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12k alpha torps and 16k alpha bombs were topkek.

In the end CV play is still more about alpha strike than it is anything else. Reworked CVs put out about the same or even more damage than RTS CVs because of a way faster rate of fire. For every strike that a RTS CV flew, a reworked CV flies about 2 and a half. DoT is just the icing on the cake.

Not quite sure that I'd call the torp drops in the first vid "cross dropping".  Those kinds of drops can be done still.  I see real cross dropping as being able to make 2 separate drops at about the same time from two different angles to ensure that the enemy ship can't avoid them.  Though, even in RTS, a highly skilled DD player could evade cross drops except perhaps is the enemy CV player was amazingly skilled.  Excellent DD handling back then could time their dodging to juke and jink and avoid two separate spreads, but it took some serious talent.

This is more like maneuvering the BB into making a hard rudder turn so that you can make the second drop in a way that prevents him from being able to make another rudder turn to avoid those torps.   Mind you, if your TBs can drop 2 torps each, that can create one heck of a filthy torp drop.

Members
2,044 posts
52 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

Not quite sure that I'd call the torp drops in the first vid "cross dropping".  Those kinds of drops can be done still.  I see real cross dropping as being able to make 2 separate drops at about the same time from two different angles to ensure that the enemy ship can't avoid them.  Though, even in RTS, a highly skilled DD player could evade cross drops except perhaps is the enemy CV player was amazingly skilled.  Excellent DD handling back then could time their dodging to juke and jink and avoid two separate spreads, but it took some serious talent.

This is more like maneuvering the BB into making a hard rudder turn so that you can make the second drop in a way that prevents him from being able to make another rudder turn to avoid those torps.   Mind you, if your TBs can drop 2 torps each, that can create one heck of a filthy torp drop.

It's not a true simultaneous cross drop indeed. But even during RTS it was way easier to "cross drop" by trapping a ship in between torps or forcing it to turn one way first then hit it with another  squad as the UI was... finicky at best.

And it's still possible to do so in the rework. Against DDs it's often just more effort than it is worth considering rocket planes do the job much faster and easier. Still in a pinch it's a valuable skill to learn.

QblZYnU.png

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,733 posts
2 hours ago, BC124 said:

You can still get a Dev Strike in a CV but it's rare. I got one a couple of months ago with my Midway against a Shimakaze.

[NH]
Members
0 posts
21 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

You can still get a Dev Strike in a CV but it's rare. I got one a couple of months ago with my Midway against a Shimakaze.

screenshot or it didnt happen

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,733 posts
31 minutes ago, The_Fire_Department said:

screenshot or it didnt happen

I actually had a video of it but I got so many hate comments for putting CV play on YouTube that I deleted that channel. Some kids here need to grow up.

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
798 posts
4,957 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

Yeah, you have to let RNG do it's work. Usually it's from detonations, but once I got one against a Smolensk. Triple citadel from Hakuryuu AP bombs. Sweet justice.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,119 posts
8,857 battles

Although, I suppose I should point out it's possible to get dev strikes on DDs under very, very dumb circumstances. Using Kaga (in co-op), I had a DD run into 3 of my 4 torps by turning. They lost all but like 2k health. While this usually won't work on players, I have managed to land 2 Midway torps on an Akizuki before, so it's certainly possible at least, just... improbable at best. The DD has to play about as poor as poor can be.

Another circumstance is attacking Kuma or Yubari using Langley's HE bombs. You see, their deck is thin enough to be cit through in places. You can take off about 80-90% of Yubari's health this way.

Another ship like this is Danae. But worse, as rockets can get through! Haven't tested, as I don't play T4 CV, but I imagine it's entirely possible to get one this way.

There's also Enterprise landing 6 cits on a cruiser. That's over 30k damage, if memory serves. I want to say 36k, but can't remember. So... I guess play Enterprise if you have her and hope you get super lucky? Still haven't managed 6 cits, myself. 5 was my best.

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
10,710 battles

The OP wants to do lots more damage to other players without facing any risk.

So toxic.

This is why CVs are broken, and have no place in WOWS. They are broken and oppressive if they do harm, they are broken and boring if they don't.

In the end, they are just broken, because they face no risk.

We are forced to play with CVs, we are forced to play a combat game with people who want to hit without being hit back.

It's nasty.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 3

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,505 posts
9,811 battles
5 hours ago, BC124 said:

Are you for real?

• Funny 1

[S-N-D]
Banned
3,327 posts
7,738 battles

shot-20_02.11_08_21.57-0773.thumb.jpg.92a2a2cda6c739f0f88b1d28ba1a451b.jpg

I dev struck a Hipper with Tiny Tim rockets.

Edited by _Caliph_

[AN2AC]
Members
11 posts
22,821 battles
3 hours ago, SidTheBlade said:

So toxic.

This is why CVs are broken, and have no place in WOWS. They are broken and oppressive if they do harm, they are broken and boring if they don't.

In the end, they are just broken, because they face no risk.

We are forced to play with CVs, we are forced to play a combat game with people who want to hit without being hit back.

It's nasty.

still spewing your bile i see.

If you're a DD and you get dev struck by air dropped  torps you deserve it. Stop sailing in straight lines. You also deserve it if your a DD that gets hit by any air dropped torps. You would be suprised by how many DDs get hit by air dropped torps.

This Ohotnik was dev struck by air dropped torps

shot-20_02.18_14_45.47-0429.thumb.jpg.9bb020a755f583f24579dad071837a51.jpg

Edited by Moganite
missing space
  • Boring 2

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,780 battles
3 hours ago, SidTheBlade said:

So toxic.

It's not enough that he sits in the back out of harm's way, in the only ship that can't be detonated, which is almost impossible to burn to death, has the best AA and cap fighters to boot, regenerates "turrets" (planes) when they are destroyed, and is almost never uptiered against its own ship type.

Nope, he has to be able to dev strike as well. 

The poor dear. 

• Cool 4

[CLRN]
Members
598 posts
122 battles
8 hours ago, BC124 said:

help CV? are you f kidding me? isnt CV gameplay dumbed down enough? AA is almost useless if you compare it with the AA before the rework. besides you can devastate ships with CVs. torping DDs, of striking DDs with rocket planes. 2 days ago i devastated a kagero with hakuryu rockets. and no, kagero didnt detonate. 

i took out my kaga yesterday. it was a t8 game. i lost 61 planes in total. right before the game ended i was on torp planes. i had full squadron and in my reserves, there were full squadrons for each type. this is straight up dumb. 

and you still ask for help to CVs? 

• Cool 1