You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Rustyhole

Tier 6 Premium: USS Wasp (CV-7)

7 comments in this topic

[O_O]
Members
674 posts

020702.jpg

Brief History:

Despite the limits of the Washington Naval Treaty, in early 1936 the USN found itself with 15,000t remaining to build another aircraft carrier.  The new Yorktown Class carriers came in at just under 20,000t, so the USN sought to squeeze a comparable air group onto a ship that had 25% less displacement.  Wasp was launched in April 1939 and was commissioned a year later.  She began her career patrolling the Atlantic, and later joined Force 'W' of the Home Fleet to aid in the transportation of RAF units to the besieged Island of Malta.  After the losses at the Coral Sea and Midway, Wasp suddenly found herself at the front lines in the Pacific Theater supporting the invasion of Guadalcanal.  Wasp took three out of six torpedoes launched from I-19 on the 15th of September, 1942, leaving her engulfed in fire and gradually losing speed.  She was abandoned within 40 minutes and scuttled hours later.  Wasp was rediscovered by RV Petrel in January 2019, laying upright on the sea floor at 14,000ft.

Armor Layout: (educated guesses here, not an expert on warship armor)

6-120mm (belt 120mm, deck 25mm, hull is a mix of 16mm and 19mm)    

Survivability: (launched with no torpedo protection; so either non at all or very little)

Hit Points: 44,500

Torpedo Protection Damage Reduction: 0%

Aircraft: (I choose her final air group from July 1942 - September 1942)

Attack Aircraft: F4F Wildcat

Torpedo Bombers: TBF Avenger 

Dive Bombers: SBD Dauntless (AP please?)

Artillery:

Secondary Armament: 8x1 127mm/38 Mk24

AA Defense: 

AA Guns 24x1 12.7mm Browning M2 mod. 2

AA Guns 4x4 28mm/75 Mk2 mod. 2

AA Guns 8x1 127mm/38 Mk24

Maneuverability: 

Speed: 29.5 kts

Turning Circle: 1 km

Rudder Shift: 15 seconds 

Concealment:

Detectability Range by Sea: 14.0km

Detectability Range by Air: 10.0km

Why Wargaming should make it:

The Yorktown class model is already in-game in the form of Enterprise, so the modeling for Wasp is mostly done already save the downsizing that would be required.  All you need to do is tweak my balancing decisions a bit (or a lot...) and you are GOLD Wargaming, GOLD!

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Rustyhole
  • Cool 3

[HELLS]
Members
2,752 posts
29,459 battles

Ranger-sized hull with different internal arrangements, not a Yorktown derivative. Need essentially a new model. At T6, she would need Lexington or Enterprise's T8 planes. Tough sell....

[SALVO]
Members
25,815 posts
28,106 battles
28 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Ranger-sized hull with different internal arrangements, not a Yorktown derivative. Need essentially a new model. At T6, she would need Lexington or Enterprise's T8 planes. Tough sell....

No, the Wasp was a reduced size Yorktown derivative.  The USN had some tonnage left over under the Washington Naval Treaty for one more carrier.  However, it wasn't enough for a full sized Yorktown.  So the USN designed a CV with about 25% less displacement than the Yorktown, aka the USS Wasp.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,301 battles
31 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

she would need Lexington or Enterprise's T8 planes.

Didn't she pretty much use the same planes as Lexington / Enterprise?

[O_O]
Members
674 posts
6 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Historical accuracy has been sacrificed many times for ships in this game. 

I have a better chance convincing Wargaming to downsize an Enterprise and sell it at tier 6 as Wasp with a new tower and stack, than I do asking them to build a new hull. 

I am aware that Wasp was Ranger sized, that is one of my justifications for placing her at tier 6 instead of tier 8.

It was an accidental coincidence that I was choosing planes from the tier 8 CVs; I only wanted Wasp's final air group composition to be represented ingame.

But the issue you point out with the aircraft is a simple fix: either the aircraft I choose can stay and have their stats reduced from tier 8 stats, or an earlier air group composition with Vindicators and Devastators can be used.  

[COOLI]
Members
101 posts
11,973 battles

i just want to say quietly i wouldn't mind a few more T6 CVs, even premiums, and this seems kinda fun