Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hapa_Fodder

How It Works: Semi-Armor-Piercing Shells

8 comments in this topic

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,273 posts
14,709 battles

We're here to tell you about the principles behind the Italian cruisers' unique ammunition!

Read it on the portal
  • Cool 2

[-TNT-]
Members
948 posts
20,410 battles

I don't have a problem with SAp rounds, it's the rate of fire the problem.  Also, I recommend WG remove AP shell for HE shell that cannot pen any ship hull but offer the Italian line a DOT way to earn XP.  My Italian tier 10 cruiser is absolutely useless against Kremlin using SAP rounds.  But a fire on that battleship would help.

[KWF]
Members
5,236 posts
6,659 battles

I see little point when the whole video revolves around Venezia. The one RM cruiser where according to general consensus SAP works as intended, is used to represent a whole line of cruisers where SAP underperforms, especially vs BBs. Please show similar results in Zara or Trento. Because I had quite a few battles where a bow on Pyotr Velikiy or Kongo made me look like a fool...

And inb4 the "choose different targets" comment, you can't always have the luxury to fire at your optimal target. 

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[KSC]
Members
840 posts
11,429 battles
54 minutes ago, Kestrel_Falcon said:

I don't have a problem with SAp rounds, it's the rate of fire the problem.  Also, I recommend WG remove AP shell for HE shell that cannot pen any ship hull but offer the Italian line a DOT way to earn XP.  My Italian tier 10 cruiser is absolutely useless against Kremlin using SAP rounds.  But a fire on that battleship would help.

SAP has 54mm of pen on Tier 10 Venezia.  You can shoot the bow, the stern, and the superstructure on a Kremlin.

Remember that angle of attack is important and requires you to be on a flank or pushing to make one happen.  Bow-in fights don't work for the Italian line.

-----

Also, the AP is great at pen'ing Cruiser armor at long range.  While the raw penetration numbers up close aren't very good compared to other 203mm guns, the flat firing arc makes for strong penetration at 15+ km against Cruisers.

Edited by Ahskance
  • Cool 3

Members
35 posts
4,139 battles

You know... this kind of article would've been good when you first introduced the "semi" armour piercing of the UK CL line... And when the UK BBs with their reduced AP pen got on the scene... Now it's just... pointless... since I've given up on the italian line for concentrating my BBs.

Oh well, back to grinding Devonshire.

Sign in to follow this