You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Question about RN CA's

16 comments in this topic

[DRNX]
Members
473 posts
12,230 battles

I'm currently playing the tier 8 and am wondering if the drake and goliath are worth grinding through seeing as I see the current ship as very meh? Do both of them play similar or are they significantly better? TIA

[UNC]
Members
852 posts
6,196 battles

I am interested in knowing the same.  Albemarle is awful; I finally burned some FXP to unlock Drake because I couldn't take it anymore.  First game in Drake was promising, but am curious what others have experienced in the t9-10 RN CAs.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles

All I know is that Surrey was not enough for me to proceed. I've been a broken record on this, but I will say it again: I would rather have the offensive power of the Japanese cruisers and no heal in the middle tiers, than the shorter range, reliance on spotter planes, and tepid heal of the British CAs. Ultimately, cruiser play is about maximizing damage output and survivability - being further away from an opponent, and possessing better guns and longer range torpedoes is more than a fair trade for a pretty bland heal. London is the only boat to swing the pendulum the other way because of the addition of smoke. 

Both the last two cruiser trees have been failures for different reasons, yet they have arrived in largely the same place: irrelevance.

Italian cruisers: ships with a dumb gimmick that makes them suck.

British CAs: sucky ships with no gimmick that makes them dumb.

Edited by Battlecruiser_Repulse

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
1 hour ago, crazyferret23777 said:

I'm currently playing the tier 8 and am wondering if the drake and goliath are worth grinding through seeing as I see the current ship as very meh? Do both of them play similar or are they significantly better? TIA

The Albermarle, as I had warned during the testing period, is a particular bad ship; it most reminds me of the old T7 Pensacola as it has reasonably good guns, that can hit like a truck if they connect, but mounted on a platform that can be blamped from all angles with ease (only that the Albermarle slightly exceeds the T7 Pensacola in that it has that wonderful heal, but that still doesn't help you if you are dev-struck).  That said, the rest of the line does not suffer that same issue. Drake plays like a slightly beefer and more able Myoko/Ibuki, and the Goliath is a weird mix of Zao and HIV (in my using at least). My main complaint on the line, including Drake and Goliath, is the range; not that sniping from 18km is necessary, but approach and fall back shooting is important, as well as the lower range costing them flexibility in shifting from one part of the map to another; and given their size, along with their VERY high freeboards, they eat A LOT of damage once they are within their base range.

Edited by _RC1138

[GRETA]
Members
54 posts
23,675 battles

The Goliath plays like a mini conq. HE with base 24% fire chance and 12 barrels translates to many, many fires started and much damage. I run the range mod on it to get out to 19.5k and play it like a second line support ship. It's much better than the tier 8 piece of garbage.

[CLRN]
Members
598 posts
122 battles

I got goliath today but didnt play it yet. 

I hated Drake. I really couldnt see the purpose of those CAs and a reason to play them. DPM is low, AP pen angles arent great, its slow af, acceleration is miserable, it sits really high on water... the only possitive side of them is having super heal. Thats it.

Ofc Im gonna give goliath a try but i dont think that i will be playing those ships that much.

Edited by ghostbuster_

[BOTO]
Members
1,405 posts
16,968 battles
2 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

I actually think Drake is the best of the bunch, basically because she has a spotter plane and Goliath doesn't get it.  I've frequently gotten 10-12k HE volleys on broadside battleships and cruisers and she wrecks destroyers as well. They are all fairly squishy but the heal mitigates a lot of that.  I'd love Goliath to if she had a spotter.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,348 posts
22,147 battles
1 hour ago, _RC1138 said:

The Albermarle, as I had warned during the testing period, is a particular bad ship; it most reminds me of the old T7 Pensacola as it has reasonably good guns, that can hit like a truck if they connect, but mounted on a platform that can be blamped from all angles with ease (only that the Albermarle slightly exceeds the T7 Pensacola in that it has that wonderful heal, but that still doesn't help you if you are dev-struck).  That said, the rest of the line does not suffer that same issue. Drake plays like a slightly beefer and more able Myoko/Ibuki, and the Goliath is a weird mix of Zao and HIV (in my using at least). My main complaint on the line, including Drake and Goliath, is the range; not that sniping from 18km is necessary, but approach and fall back shooting is important, as well as the lower range costing them flexibility in shifting from one part of the map to another; and given their size, along with their VERY high freeboards, they eat A LOT of damage once they are within their base range.

Sub 10 km, I bounced 3 front gun salvos by a Yammy. 

Proper angles a tough ship.

Royal navy super heal.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
6,348 posts
22,147 battles
3 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

If you can play the T8 you will like the T10. However,  it doesn't have spotter plane.

3 hours ago, Uncle_Lou said:

I am interested in knowing the same.  Albemarle is awful; I finally burned some FXP to unlock Drake because I couldn't take it anymore.  First game in Drake was promising, but am curious what others have experienced in the t9-10 RN CAs.

I'm loving the t8. Not easy ship to play, not very exciting ship to play, but a decent support cruiser.

One of my clan mates calls the Goliath a mini Conquer. 

I've seen him take half health off of a des Moines in one salvo in clan battles

[IXM]
Members
1,060 posts

Sold the Hawkins and will likely never go for any of them again. They provide literally nothing unique to the game. Even the Italians have a few things that make them -maybe- worthwhile. British CAs? Nothing at all.

Edited by Vector03

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
17 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Sub 10 km, I bounced 3 front gun salvos by a Yammy. 

Range has nothing to do with it; it just has to do with where the shells fall; if they hit the deck or the belt at angles greater than 30*, it will bounce, otherwise it will pen. Problem, amongst others, of the Albermarle is that she has a VERY tall citadel, and a very high freeboard, meaning she gets hit a lot, and a lot of those shells do a lot of damage. Which is the same problem Pensacola had.

Edited by _RC1138

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
6,348 posts
22,147 battles
2 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Range has nothing to do with it; it just has to do with where the shells fall; if they hit the deck or the belt at angles greater than 30*, it will bounce, otherwise it will pen. Problem, amongst others, of the Albermarle is that she has a VERY tall citadel, and a very high freeboard, meaning she gets hit a lot, and a lot of those shells do a lot of damage. Which is the same problem Pensacola had.

I'm enjoying her a ton more than the Pepsi....

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
Just now, dEsTurbed1 said:

I'm enjoying her a ton more than the Pepsi....

She's got a heal and much more comfortable guns, but better does not equal acceptable. She's a definite low point in the line, made worse by her tier placement finding her SEVERELY under gunned when against TX's, with many DD's outranging and out DPS'ing her. The main thing I think Albermarle needs is a slight range boost; she should have a range comparable to most at-tier CL's (I would argue the same for Baltimore btw); she doesn't need Hipper's range, but somewhere in the 16.7-16.6 range, just so she can reliable outrange Destroyers (particularly the high RoF, high pen ones) at her battle bracket.

• Cool 1

[DVYJC]
Members
3,658 posts
8,689 battles

I only have London so far, but the heal needs some buffs in terms of healable citadel damage. It is so easy to cit RN CAs that your uber heal does you little good when half your damage is citadel damage anyway.

[ARRSE]
Members
213 posts
1,405 battles

I'm a Brit and an RN Teabo, yet I find the whole CA line - including the two premiums - a waste of time. The RN CLs are far better in every respect, and if you need to pick a ship for a specific mission, just about any other CA/CL line is a better option (ok, possibly bar the Italians!).

I feel that WG has just used the RN CAs as mediocre line packers, designed to make other lines look interesting (much like Brit tanks in WoT).

p.s. I was mildly amused (not really) to realise that my Tier 5 Konigsburg actually outranges the Tier 9 Drake (by 0.6km). This is absurd, but entirely indicative of the gimped nature of the line.

[WOLFG]
Members
11,114 posts
10,336 battles
4 minutes ago, Turbogerbil said:

p.s. I was mildly amused (not really) to realise that my Tier 5 Konigsburg actually outranges the Tier 9 Drake (by 0.6km). This is absurd, but entirely indicative of the gimped nature of the line.

Image result for double take gif