Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017

Why Furutaka seem to have a harder time landing cits at close range but not from afar?

5 comments in this topic

[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,551 posts

If you're speaking about cruisers of the same tier, their armor is so thin that you start to risk from the sheer penetration simply overpenning the citadel instead of letting the AP shell detonate inside if I had to take a guess.  I barely play Furutaka these days, so my memory is hazy on the matter.  

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,304 posts
6,280 battles

My guess would be trajectory. When firing at range your rounds are coming down at more of an angle when striking the enemy, and therefor you have a higher chance of hitting lowered or submerged compartments on a ship. There's also less chance to ricochet off of a citadel roof at longer range because the angle of impact is much more oblique.

Once you get up close you need to start aiming right at the water-line in a lot of cases, and if that doesn't work (because your target has a fully submerged citadel) the barbettes under the main gun turrets are your best bet for massive damage.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

Gonna second Trajectory. You're probably bouncing off the citadel roof at close range, or missing it entirely. Furutaka's AP seems to be happiest at 10km-or-so. You might still get citpens at closer ranges, but it's gonna be less often.

EDIT: And as mentioned above, try aiming under turrets. Magazine spaces are often taller than engine spaces and might be easier to hit at those closer ranges.

Edited by KiyoSenkan

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
6 hours ago, AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017 said:

IS it because it constantly OPs? Or is it because the trojectory?

Against CAs of course.

Shell velocity drops over distance, so you get a little more penetration at closer range.  Shells fired at closer targets are on a flatter trajectory, so you get a little less angle at closer range.  Combined, you could be getting overpens at close range that you aren't at longer range. 

And as noted, at very close range, you might not be firing low enough to hit the citadel at all -- it can help to scroll back on your zoom a couple of clicks so you can aim lower near the waterline at those close targets. 

Sign in to follow this