You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
DeletedUser

RN heavy cruisers least popular line?

37 comments in this topic

[NH]
Members
0 posts

because they are rare in game and there is almost no chatter in the forums. I saw more talk about italians.

With that said the guns are unbearably slow to reload, short range and shells are made of helium. Whats not to like /S

• Boring 1

Beta Testers
3,750 posts
14,473 battles
1 minute ago, The_Fire_Department said:

because they are rare in game and there is almost no chatter in the forums. I saw more talk about italians.

With that said the guns are unbearably slow to reload, short range and shells are made of helium. Whats not to like /S

I think they should of spent their time developing the Russian CV line

• Funny 4
  • Boring 2

Members
3,887 posts
14,013 battles
5 minutes ago, The_Fire_Department said:

Im only at the T8, but they are just meh so far. 

They are a good line if you want non overpowered, just avg ships. Which is fine, Im alright with that.

But they are not very interesting. 

[NH]
Members
0 posts
3 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

Im only at the T8, but they are just meh so far. 

They are a good line if you want non overpowered, just avg ships. Which is fine, Im alright with that.

But they are not very interesting. 

They seem ill timed. The meta they tried to fit them in is from 3 years ago. The 19 second reload build in a hard DPM cap that will rely on fires. Its from the Zao days.

Edited by The_Fire_Department

[-ARM-]
Beta Testers
1,009 posts
11,494 battles

A agree that they were released at a bad time, but more on how the research bureau was released recently. I had reset my tier tens to climb once more, and now I am busy re-grinding the USN and IJN lines, can't be bothered to try out the new cruisers.

I think that it should be considered how forum posts about any ships is almost always complaints,and that it may actually be a good sign that there is little talk here about the RN CAs.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,360 posts
22,158 battles
1 hour ago, The_Fire_Department said:

You obviously have not been dev struck by a Goliath. 

You obviously haven't bounced 3 front salvos from a Yammy at 8 km in the T8.....

Yes they are utter crap if think they are.....

• Boring 1

[HEROS]
Members
2,056 posts
18,699 battles

The Brit heavy's are kinda... well... ordinary, common, base line, that which all other cruisers are judged by.  They definitely are not "bad" ships, but they're not "great" ships.

And honestly that's just fine.   they do the job with out a lot of flash or fancy.. Be a good shot, avoid showing your sides.  Get out there and fight!

• Cool 2

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles

They don't do enough to stand out at a glance. Yes, they get a super heal and a ton of HE pen at high tiers but between the lackluster mid and low tiers and the general lack of standout gimmicks they simply don't do enough for most players to justify grinding the line over simply playing the CAs they already have.

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
10,591 battles
2 hours ago, The_Fire_Department said:

You forgot that they handle like bricks, and have no useful consumables.

We are much hatred and loathing for Abomination of Waves, RN Ablemarle.

Edited by SidTheBlade

[1984]
Members
4,462 posts
21,506 battles

The tier 6 is absolutely pointless. I just bought the tier 8 last night for the extra shillings in a vain hope to acquire the commander. Otherwise i see no point in playing these things with such pitiful range and long gun reload.

Edited by monpetitloup
  • Boring 1

[UNC]
Members
852 posts
6,196 battles

Surrey was meh.  One game in Drake shows promise.  Albemarle was effing horrible.  I gave up and used some free XP to unlock Drake because Albemarle sucked so hard.  Only managed a 31% WR in Albemarle, despite averaging a little over server average in damage.  And yes, I know its very early to be doing any stat comparisons so I'm not putting much stock in the averages.  I just know that Albemarle is the worst ship I have played in a LONG time, at least for me.  YMMV.

Members
2,767 posts
93 battles

>WG releases OP line
>players: REEEEEEE DEVS DOESN"T KNOW HOW TO BALANCE GAEM
>WG releases balanced ship line
>players: meh boring crap who wants to play with these

• Cool 7
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Members
1,322 posts
3 hours ago, The_Fire_Department said:

Not in my Port I am having fun with them.

• Cool 4

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts

Goliath is fun, requires GFCSM2, but fun all the same. Her AP hits like a truck, easily doing BB levels of damage on broadside targets (even with just 33% pens) thanks to a higher hit rate, and her HE is monstrous if they actually do pen damage (for some reason I find they shatter WAY more than a 9.2" should). I do think they need a slightly higher fire% chance, just because of the very slow reload, it does make spreading fires more difficult than their CL or even faster firing CA peers.

That said, I still prefer the CL line, Mino is still my perfect ship, but Goliath can be fun when you want to play what amounts to a CC in sheep's clothing.

Edited by _RC1138

[TBW]
Members
10,737 posts
18,455 battles

I did good with Hawkins in one of her battles so far. They are pretty good if no one is shooting at you.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[BOTO]
Members
1,415 posts
16,991 battles
8 hours ago, The_Fire_Department said:

I've actually liked them more than I thought I would. A bit squishy but the heal makes up for that for the most part. I think they're fairly well balanced.  Not my favorites by any stretch but they haven't frustrated me as much as the Italian line.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
6,360 posts
22,158 battles
6 hours ago, BarneyStyle said:

They are crap.  Was hit in the citadel by a Bismarck from max range and optimal angles for bouncing shells, they’re floating damage pools for anything that shoots AP.  In short, they’re dog crap.

Those  shells plunged  through your deck, not the belt armour. 

Dodge man.

Members
1,587 posts
16 battles
12 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The only thing remotely interesting with this line is the 234mm armed RN CAs at the end of the line.  The rest seem plain.

And those two aren't exactly inspiring either. The rate of fire and shell travel time nullify any kind of competitiveness these ships have. The line is basically a solid below average except for occasions where they creep into 'average' territory.

It's alright to not be too gimmicky. I'd encourage that, having a line that has only one defining trait or so, and not going overboard on gimmicks, which is what happened to the other RN lines. However WG haven't done themselves any favours with the statistics and balancing of these ships. Too many poor statistics thrown into the mix, and definitely too many historical errors. There are ways to make a balanced near 'base-line' gameplay line, but the RN CAs don't really manage it well. It could easily be fixed with some stat changes, but the line seems to be lacklustre by design. 

[ARGSY]
Members
635 posts
10,272 battles

Well, the win rate for the line is very high compared to other CAs but that may because a lot of top players get them first, and the sample is small yet.

7,026 posts
27,716 battles

Just no gimmicks and no new mechanics. More or less how cruisers were in the old times. I played T6 very fast through the operations. Surrey was okish, just could not get a win. The T8 is average. Kind of Hipper. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,969 posts
11 hours ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

>WG releases OP line
>players: REEEEEEE DEVS DOESN"T KNOW HOW TO BALANCE GAEM
>WG releases balanced ship line
>players: meh boring crap who wants to play with these

Assumes players are a monolith and that it's all players saying both.

In other words, just your typical spam of taking shots at "the playerbase".

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLFG]
Members
31,329 posts
9,629 battles
4 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Assumes players are a monolith and that it's all players saying both.

That's just it, they aren't, which is why WG takes whatever we say with a grain of salt, until we ARE more or less monolithic on an issue.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,377 posts
13,055 battles
15 hours ago, The_Fire_Department said:

I haven't driven them above tier 6, but from what I've seen, they're solid, mostly gimmick free ships. The 8" guns are accurate enough with enough range, have perfectly normal ammunition, torps are usable if uninspiring, and armor is tough enough for a cruiser, ect...

They're pretty well balanced, which doesn't attract the crowd looking for something overpowered. The good players will just quietly add them to their ports, where they will find homes as ships for operations and ranked battles.

[PEED2]
Beta Testers
4,968 posts
15,146 battles

They alread release the rn heavy cruisers? OMG!

not interested.