You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
FullMetal_Inferno

Premium ship advice

10 comments in this topic

Members
335 posts
5,589 battles

I woke up today to a cool 30% off in the premium shop and my first paycheck just came in the other day soooo...

I'm split between Wichita, Prinz Eugen, and Bayard.

Wichita looks like a solid ship. I've played the Baltimore class before and I do enjoy it, and I am sure the extra maneuverability will really be helpful. It only seems marginally better (and in some cases worse) than the Baltimore, so not too sure if it is worth it?

Always wanted the Prinz Eugen (historical reasons). I've researched the Hipper and have yet to buy it, but to say Yorck was simply a solid T7 would be an understatement. By far it is my favorite T7 cruiser. I'm hoping that the PE offers a similar playstyle, but at the same time I would only get it if it was decently different compared to Hipper.

Here's the curveball, Bayard. Never played a french cruiser but I low-key like the look of her. She offers a unique playstyle, but I'm just not sure if it's actually all that good. One thing I don't like about the above two cruisers is their lack of DPM, but I was impressed at looking at Bayard's DPM and speed. If anything I don't think I enjoy how fragile all the reviews are saying it is.

I'm no WoWS expert, but I would consider myself a good player who has spent a lot of time understanding detectability, aiming, shell preferences, etc.. I think that for $30 these ships warrant a second look. I enjoy ships that are versatile and have carry potential and I'm hoping one of these fits the meta and is competitive.

Any recommendations? :cap_hmm:

0 posts

Bayard is fun, and quite forgiving. I imagine Wichita would play very much like a standard USN cruiser for her tier, with radar, good AA and easy gun handling. Prinz Eugen is better than she was, but still, I find less powerful in day to day random battle situations. But above all, think of these ships as captain trainers for your same nation t9 and 10 cruisers too, and make sure you have a 15 point captain for them.

Members
335 posts
5,589 battles
2 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

Bayard is fun, and quite forgiving. I imagine Wichita would play very much like a standard USN cruiser for her tier, with radar, good AA and easy gun handling. Prinz Eugen is better than she was, but still, I find less powerful in day to day random battle situations. But above all, think of these ships as captain trainers for your same nation t9 and 10 cruisers too, and make sure you have a 15 point captain for them.

I forgot to mention but I would have 10 point captains available. Only caveat for Bayard is that I wouldn't necessarily be using it for captain training considering it's the only French cruiser I have (I got the T5-6 DDs for free though, not too interested in grinding them)

0 posts
Just now, FullMetal_Inferno said:

I forgot to mention but I would have 10 point captains available. Only caveat for Bayard is that I wouldn't necessarily be using it for captain training considering it's the only French cruiser I have (I got the T5-6 DDs for free though, not too interested in grinding them)

the Bayard for your first t8 cruisers does not make sense, best excluded.

Decide if you will be playing USN or German cruisers the most for the next months, and then choose between Wichita and Prinz Eugen. As for captain skills, be sure to use PVE Coop to work your way to 15 point+ (pretty much standard minimum for effective t8 captain builds)

• Cool 1

[PISD]
Members
1,694 posts
5,844 battles

Prinz Eugen without hesitation. She is a beast in clan battle thanks to her heal and torpedo tube, plus her AP hit like a truck. The close second would be the Atago: old but still up there.

• Cool 2

Members
335 posts
5,589 battles
2 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

Prinz Eugen without hesitation. She is a beast in clan battle thanks to her heal and torpedo tube, plus her AP hit like a truck. The close second would be the Atago: old but still up there.

I've got me a Takao, but indeed she's a great ship! Heard the PE was like a mini-Hindy?

[POP]
Members
4,749 posts
12,813 battles

Add another vote for Atago or Eugen. Despite being some of the oldest t8 premium cruisers they’re still some of the best. Eugen is similar to Hipper, but the heal vs agility and similar but different gun performances make them different enough to both be worthwhile. Especially if you like the german cruiser playstyle. 

Bayard is a good ship as well, but much more skill heavy than the other two since it needs 14 points to be effective whereas the others can work with 10. It also plays differently from the rest of the line (CL vs all CAs) but is similar enough you’d probably want at least some experience in the nation before getting it. It’s definitely (right now at least) a very strong pick for t8 competitive because of the CL rate of fire and fire chance combined with decent AP and the French reload booster. 

Wichita is similar in many ways to a typical USN CA, so that’s the playstyle you’d be getting. You’re slightly more agile and have a bette concealment (tying Edinburgh for the best concealment of any t8 cruiser currently in the game), but in terms of firepower you’re a worse Baltimore in almost every way. You have Baltimore’s guns but New Orleans’s shells, meaning the same improved angles that the entire CA line has, but you don’t get the famous USN super heavy AP that makes Baltimore so much of a threat against cruisers and battleships while still having similar performance. Unless you wanted an inferior Baltimore as a collector or to use as a trainer (and personally I think there are better USN CA trainers), I’d probably avoid Wichita. 

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,367 posts
22,207 battles

All 3 are very strong in the right hands.

All 3 can be obliterated when played wrong.

Prinz is a very strong cruiser with good pen HE and strong AP.

Hydro and heal.

Wichita is maneuverable with strong hard hitting HVY AP.

Don't have Bayard,  but they are hard to hit. Fast firing he.

[TCNNA]
Members
5 posts
8,811 battles
1 hour ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Don't have Bayard,  but they are hard to hit. Fast firing he.

That's because it bombs around faster than an average DD using the propulsion boost from the armoury giving it 4 1/2 minutes of speed plus 39 mm pen with IFHE on HE shells.  US BB's melt faster than a chocolate teapot.

It's a great ship.  If you get how to play Cleveland for firing angles and islands then this ship is awesome because it can open water too which Cleveland can't.

I'd skip Wichita.  I really wanted it until they decided to not give it the Balti SHS and it went with the NO shells instead.

No idea about Prinz but guessing it's a mini Hindy. 

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,367 posts
22,207 battles
5 hours ago, krazy_galah said:

That's because it bombs around faster than an average DD using the propulsion boost from the armoury giving it 4 1/2 minutes of speed plus 39 mm pen with IFHE on HE shells.  US BB's melt faster than a chocolate teapot.

It's a great ship.  If you get how to play Cleveland for firing angles and islands then this ship is awesome because it can open water too which Cleveland can't.

I'd skip Wichita.  I really wanted it until they decided to not give it the Balti SHS and it went with the NO shells instead.

No idea about Prinz but guessing it's a mini Hindy. 

Prinz would be more like hipper.