You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
murder_0ne

Does anyone *not* run priority target?

97 comments in this topic

[LZ1]
Members
297 posts
6,369 battles

It's such a huge advantage that I run it on every ship I have. I can't think of playing the game without it. But then again I don't play CVs much and they're probably the only class of ship that's completely safe most of the game.

Anyone else think that WG should just bake the skill into all ships and give us something else for the point instead?

• Cool 1

Members
246 posts
310 battles

Grossly generalising, most gunboats (DDs) with full gun builds can only spare one 1 point slot.

And that goes to Preventative Maintenance. At least in my builds.

Again, grossly generalising; most DDs don't really need it. You basically just assume that whenever you are spotted everyone is or will be shooting at you.

Edited by KosmicRavioli
  • Cool 17

[KAPPA]
Members
3,117 posts
8,836 battles

It gives too much useful information to skip on, if you ask me. Now, if one could get away with skipping 1 point skills completely, I'd see a case, but you have to take something from up there.

Members
6,900 posts
21,408 battles

Mainly cruisers, BB's not such much, there is only so much you can do to stop being shot at once detected in a BB and with DD's almost never. A good DD player knows how he is spotted and how many other ships can target him. Plus, why waste a point on the skill if you already know that every ship that can target you will target you, what is the difference between 4 and 8 ships shooting at you?

Members
1,481 posts
17,714 battles

I only run it on my 19pt commanders as it's the last skill I choose. Many find it indispensable and pick it as the very first skill. I'm not one of those; it's useful but hardly game changing. In fact it can be used against you in that an opponent  can constantly turn on and off their targeting or change it from target to target. So you never know if all those people looking at you are really going to fire at you. It also messes with people that see the numbers drop by one and assume a DD just fired a spread of torps.

Different strokes for different folks but I play most of my games without it and the games I play with it are hardly affected by having it.

Edited by CrazyHorse_Denver
  • Cool 1

[AAA]
Members
181 posts
19,420 battles

I find the priority target skill ambiguous at best. Just because someone is targeting you, doesn’t mean they are firing on you. 

works better for me to assume that if I am spotted, I am being fired on. Situational awareness helps more than this skill. Constantly scanning to see who is pointing guns at you is much better info.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
15,171 posts
4,766 battles

I run PT on about 75% of my captains.  The rest PM with the occasional junk EL.  Trouble is, I can never remember whether or not I have EL, which pretty much makes it useless.

The SSAYFTOSOTM (someone shot at you from the other side of the map) skill I find generally useless.

• Boring 1

[WOLF9]
Members
4,671 posts

Depends.  I used to put it on everything- as someone else said, you HAVE to take a 1 pt skill, and this one provides useful information.

Then I started really playing DD's and light cruisers.   I prefer Co-op,  so Preventative Maintenance is much more important on those ships.   Bot accuracy + obnoxiously high module and fire chances, mean I'll take whatever help I can get.   If you're in a DD- especially the ONLY DD- the bots ARE gunning for you.  That's just a given.

It IS nice, on BB's and CA's, though.  Useful to know how many enemies are actually looking at you.   The Spotted! icon is a joke when playing BB, lol.   Of course I'm spotted- i'm in a freaking battlewagon, lol!   And then there's the fact that I'm typically an aggressive BB captain and looking for a brawl...

My choices might be different for Random play, but in Co-op the reds come right at you.  You spend most of the match spotted anyway.   Mitigating damage is a higher priority.   Bots may be dumb as a box of hammers, but there's nothing wrong with their aim.

[SALVO]
Members
25,821 posts
28,151 battles
34 minutes ago, Waxing_Gibbous said:

Mainly cruisers, BB's not such much, there is only so much you can do to stop being shot at once detected in a BB and with DD's almost never. A good DD player knows how he is spotted and how many other ships can target him. Plus, why waste a point on the skill if you already know that every ship that can target you will target you, what is the difference between 4 and 8 ships shooting at you?

Actually, it can be very useful for gunboat DDs, because you're NOT always targeted by all enemy ships.   Often times you get ignored, and knowing that you're detected but have 0 ships targeting you is VERY useful data, since it means that you can just pew pew pew without worrying much about dodging.  But if you're suddenly targeted by like 3 ships, you know that it's time to start dodging for your life!

• Cool 5

[PHD]
Members
195 posts
13,379 battles

It's not that important if you mostly play co-op.

I have it on a couple ships, and truthfully it just makes me nervous when I see 3+ ships targeting me.

[B_Y_F]
Members
617 posts
14,739 battles
5 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

The SSAYFTOSOTM (someone shot at you from the other side of the map) skill I find generally useless

That one was for HIV. It used to be silly that you can accelerate out of any shells by using that skill and the W key alone.  The good old days are gone though. 

For PT, I found it useful only when you're searching a DD or going one to one against torpedoe equipped boat. In the middle of a hot battle, PM or EL is way more useful. 

[SALVO]
Members
25,821 posts
28,151 battles
13 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I run PT on about 75% of my captains.  The rest PM with the occasional junk EL.  Trouble is, I can never remember whether or not I have EL, which pretty much makes it useless.

The SSAYFTOSOTM (someone shot at you from the other side of the map) skill I find generally useless.

This is definitely an issue, Duckman.  However, there are some mods that will display your skills on screen, so that you know whether you mount it or not.

I actually find the 1 point Incoming Fire Alert skill useful on kiting cruisers, so that I know when I need to start dodging.  It's particularly useful against enemy ships that I'm not looking at, because if you're looking at some enemy Yammy and you see him fire, you don't need IFA to tell you he may be firing at you.  The problem is the ships that you aren't looking at that choose to fire at you.  You don't see them fire, and you can easily eat cits from them if you're too focused on the ship you're looking at.  So, IFA covers your behind and warns you about incoming fire from those other ships that may pose a greater risk than the one you're focused on.

[XBRTC]
Members
3,154 posts
10,065 battles

I use PT on the ships that I'm planning to run in clan battles, particularly on high-vis ships. It gives you some early-game data about how the enemy team has split up to cover the objectives, and tells you whether you need to go defensive or whether you can just plow through to the far cap.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

I've found that having it on some ships and not on others causes a bit of mental hiccup when I forget and think no one is aiming at me... so I started putting it on all ships... if I took it off a bunch, I'd have to take it off the rest. 

[WOLFG]
Members
31,341 posts
9,637 battles

I use it on everything. Sure, it can be fooled, but most people don't bother, and I find knowing how many guns are pointed at you very handy. If I were always to assume that a bunch were looking at me whenever I was spotted, I'd end up exercising more caution than was warranted in many situations, and being less effective as a result.

It's also an excellent tip-off in many situations to let you know a DD has just fired torps at you. Again, it's not foolproof, some players will launch without a lock, and some will guess right about which way you'll maneuver anyway, but again, it helps far more often than not.

As with any detection skills, the biggest benefit isn't knowing what is happening, and having to take extra steps to counter, it's knowing what isn't happening, and not having to take those extra steps.

• Cool 2

[WOLFG]
Members
31,341 posts
9,637 battles
49 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

....the occasional junk EL. 

It's standard equipment on all my cruisers. Being able to take advantage of a brief window of broadside by switching to AP is valuable to me.

I also have it on some BBs, mainly those with smaller guns. That way, instead of firing another salvo of AP that's just going to bounce/overpen anyway, I can get a salvo of HE quicker.

[KIA-C]
Members
3,579 posts
15,788 battles

I don't run PT on my IJN torps DD because if I'm spotted, it's because of radar or because I'm using my guns. Since I won't be spotted most of the game it's a waste of point

[5D]
Members
1,116 posts
14,470 battles

No, I run preventive maintenance on all my ship o don't care how many are shooting at me , what I care is that everything keep working

• Cool 2

Members
1,818 posts
27,119 battles

Preventative Maintenance on all boats. Priority target on none. I am generally aware of opponents in range and shooting, so (to me) it's like spending a point to hear an audible "FIRE" yell when I'm on fire as my awareness already knows it. I have all captain's calls off, so I don't hear them say anything, btw.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

"Balance by popularity" is nonsense.

It doesn't matter if 95% or 5% of the captains have a skill, that's not a reason to make it universal or remove it or change it.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Confused 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,718 posts
2 hours ago, murder_0ne said:

It's such a huge advantage that I run it on every ship I have. I can't think of playing the game without it. But then again I don't play CVs much and they're probably the only class of ship that's completely safe most of the game.

Anyone else think that WG should just bake the skill into all ships and give us something else for the point instead?

Priority Target is a very good skill for CVs because it tells you how many ships are targeting your planes with AA. Actually, my CVs are the only ships I use PT on. I take Preventative Maintenance as my row 1 skill on my other ships. I figure that if I'm detected then I'm being targeted in a surface ship.