Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Do_Doch_Nicht

I got my Smolensk!!!

21 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

92
[FDS]
Members
200 posts
13,291 battles

Picked it up for Coal and a Coupon 2/15/2020, (A date which will live in infamy).   Heard it was disappearing after Update 9.3 and figured I could get the Thunderer later.  (A Ship I far preferred, one which puts a premium on handling and shooting.)  But...having had innumerable Smolensk's Hail Fire me, I figured I wanted to find out for myself if it was an unbalanced in play as I perceived it on the receiving end.  Ladies and Gentlemen....IT IS.

Make  no mistake the Smolensk is an abomination. I'm not highest scorer on my team each game, but I'm always in the top quarter. I haven't lost a game yet, despite a couple close calls. 

I hope Wargaming does the right thing and removes the ship with a fitting substitute for those that acquired this ship for its ridiculous edge. 

  • Cool 4
  • Boring 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,421
Members
3,111 posts
12,464 battles
45 minutes ago, Do_Doch_Nicht said:

I figured I wanted to find out for myself if it was an unbalanced in play as I perceived it on the receiving end

You have new ship high, it will pass.  There are more than one T10 cruiser that can put similar numbers out, so Smolensk does not stand out as an exception.  If you want to see what unbalanced ship really looks like, you can check out Giulio Cesare.  None of the other BBs in tier can put out similar numbers.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,102
[WOLFG]
Members
31,394 posts
9,655 battles

Wait until a Hindy you beat up earlier comes looking for some payback.

It's fun to watch the pretty shells spamming at your saturated bow and superstructure, then watch them switch to AP in desperation, as you put them under in 2 salvoes or less lol.

(of course, the initial HE beating taken to get saturated is annoying AF :Smile_veryhappy:)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,752
[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

When you play your Smolensk, remember that it is a glass cannon.  Even those "darn" AP overpens that other player gripe about are taking off a significant percentage of your piddly HP pool.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
381
[BB35]
[BB35]
Members
506 posts
14,366 battles

Smolensk is a fun ship to play but has a glass jaw. More BBs have seen the light and shoot HE at it. HE can citadel you and cause massive damage.  DDs shooting AP will citadel you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,067
[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,125 posts
11,822 battles
35 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

You have new ship high, it will pass.  There are more than one T10 cruiser that can put similar numbers out, so Smolensk does not stand out as an exception.  If you want to see what unbalanced ship really looks like, you can check out Giulio Cesare.  None of the other BBs in tier can put out similar numbers.

People always say that I got the GC in a Santa crate like 2 years ago I think It's a good ship but I cant make it work for me . I don't find it crazy OP .  I also have the Smolensk which I only took out maybe twice due to the hatred and focusing of it by the other team maybe when every thing dies down I will take her out .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
342
[PHD]
Members
1,747 posts
7,140 battles

I got the Smolensk when I thought a T10 ship would be useful (it's my only T10). 

Haven't played it much but it seems to play, dash around at range, try to not get hit while holding down the left mouse button.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,275
[PVE]
Members
10,755 posts
18,502 battles
1 hour ago, Do_Doch_Nicht said:

I hope Wargaming does the right thing and removes the ship with a fitting substitute for those that acquired this ship for its ridiculous edge.

You do realize that it is not being removed from the game, just from acquisition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,359 posts
32,824 battles
2 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

You do realize that it is not being removed from the game, just from acquisition.

Well - I remember the Missouri was "here to stay" too.  I wouldn't count on the Smolester coming back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
208
[-AGW-]
Members
1,006 posts
15,341 battles

Remember that the game can automatically convert steel for coal 1:10 when you are short on a coal purchase. I'll never get enough steel to buy a ship for it, but it helped me out to close the deal on a couple of coal ships already. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
699
[NGA]
Members
2,008 posts
12,594 battles
1 hour ago, The_Ice_Cream_Man_ said:

when is 9.3 dropping anyone know the exact date?

I’d say April 8th given that the standard patch cycle is about four weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
92
[FDS]
Members
200 posts
13,291 battles
7 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Wait until a Hindy you beat up earlier comes looking for some payback.

It's fun to watch the pretty shells spamming at your saturated bow and superstructure, then watch them switch to AP in desperation, as you put them under in 2 salvoes or less lol.

(of course, the initial HE beating taken to get saturated is annoying AF :Smile_veryhappy:)\

My experiences with a couple Hindenburgs was close range, as I am "undetected" in smoke  until 2.0km.   When they found me I had pumped four broadsides into them before they could respond with turret rotation. It was over.

 

 

7 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

When you play your Smolensk, remember that it is a glass cannon.  Even those "darn" AP overpens that other player gripe about are taking off a significant percentage of your piddly HP pool.

 

It's definitely not a "Glass Cannon".  Take a look at the Atago, (My favorite ship). I've learned to Yolo the mightiest battleships from surprise and take them out with the Atago, which has thicker armor than the Smolensk.  The Smolensk can be close to invulnerable from Big Gun AP with a surprise angular attack.

2 hours ago, WarKitten_1 said:

Congrats...just about 34K w/coupon short on mine....

War Kitten

Thanks, but if I had to do it again, I'd take the Thunderer and play a game of skill. 

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,099
[4HIM]
Members
3,243 posts
14,325 battles

You're not the only one.  Match earlier today, we had 4 Smolesters on the team.  I called them "Smolensk, the Burninator"

Trogdor.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,029
[IXM]
Members
1,060 posts

Got mine recently as well because I saw they were going to remove it and probably toss it into some gamblecrates or something later. It's every bit as broken as I thought. I think I'm averaging 100k per game, and I'm not that great a player.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,578
[CYNIC]
Members
2,880 posts
7,366 battles

Glad they're yanking it, tired of having these turds stacked 3 deep on a team taking up slots for ships with actual utility and armor that doesn't randomly explode when sneezed on.  They're a plague on the game, and the fools running fail divs of them that literally accomplish nothing for the team is beyond tiring.  95% of the people that have smolensk couldn't use it to save their life.  It's a sad gimmick of a vessel, all the way around.

  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,102
[WOLFG]
Members
31,394 posts
9,655 battles
On 2/16/2020 at 6:51 PM, Do_Doch_Nicht said:

My experiences with a couple Hindenburgs was close range, as I am "undetected" in smoke  until 2.0km.   When they found me I had pumped four broadsides into them before they could respond with turret rotation. It was over.

That's the key, smoke and broadsides. I waited until his smoke had cleared, and charged him bow on. As I mentioned, my bow and superstructure were already saturated from him spamming me earlier, so there was really nothing he could do, as he didn't have enough time to burn me down.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×