You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Feldo357

Coal Ship Conundrum - 9.1 - advice/thoughts?

26 comments in this topic

[G-B-U]
Members
83 posts
6,450 battles

I have been playing for about 9 months now (casual player with a fair amount of free time)

I play mostly Cruisers and DDs (mostly USN, otherwise equal opportunity on flag), with a side of USN BBs

I enjoy the operations (except that which shall not be named) and co-op play mostly, with only occasional 5-7 tier random battles

My clan does not do clan battles (or hasn't for some time anyway), and I haven't really done much with ranked lacking higher tier ships

My first coal ship was the Jean Bart cause I saw a Jingles video, and I already have the Aigle from a Santa crate and St Louis from a supercontainer

I have been saving my very limited steel for a Flint or Black, but now I am going to wait for them to come back next fall as coal ships.

I am up to just over 200K in coal as of last night and do still have my coupon

I do have Russian ships, I am currently grinding in Budyonny, not really up to speed on coming Euro Destroyers/Blyskawica, or high tier BB play

Am I going to kick myself for not getting the Smolensk while it was available?  I don't know much about the ship, have never (maybe in co-op) faced it in battle, and will probably never be good enough, or have enough time to learn it properly for pvp play.  That said, I could always use it to farm up some commander xp and for lighting fires for directives.  Do I bite the bullet and put off my Salem (grandfather served on the Salem and Des Moines) for another while as it seems safe as a coal ship, until I can earn more coal?

• Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
1,838 posts
26,559 battles

To be honest in COOP you'd be better off with Thunderer, just my opinion mind you I'm sure others will chime in with theirs.

Edited by Efros

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

or Georgia since you already are running US BB.    just depends on what you want to do.   Thunderer is great if you have good aim.   

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,732 battles

I've just gotten Smolensk, and it's amazing even though the meta has adapted. The ability to just spew shells is incredible, and you can turn any 30 second window into 15-30k damage. Be warned however: it is fragile.

I recommend getting it, but not playing it a ton until you're comfortable in thinly armored cruisers. When your skills improve and you can use it well, you'll be glad to have it.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,078 posts
11,783 battles

5 minutes ago, centarina said:

Thunderer is great if you have good aim

It has great dispersion even I can hit and citadel things in that ship I find it to be very accurate .

Members
2,355 posts
32,735 battles

With all the stink about the Smolester they may just remove it from sale altogether - like the Kutsov.  I'd get the Smallens.

• Cool 1

[WOLF4]
Members
394 posts
17,275 battles

If you like cruiser play I would go with pewpew comments get the smolensk. Des moines is a tech tree ship and I'd bet the Salem will be around for awhile. There is talk WG may change the armor on the smolensk, but who knows. It is a strong ship in its own right, but make mistakes you take severe punishment like alot of cruisers.

[G-B-U]
Members
83 posts
6,450 battles
17 minutes ago, slokill_1 said:

With all the stink about the Smolester they may just remove it from sale altogether - like the Kutsov.  I'd get the Smallens.

This is my thought as well.  I want all the ships, but only want to get one while the coupon is in play.  The others are still going to be available for at least the foreseeable future.

[CO-OP]
Members
2,284 posts
26,696 battles
56 minutes ago, Feldo357 said:

I have been playing for about 9 months now (casual player with a fair amount of free time)

I play mostly Cruisers and DDs (mostly USN, otherwise equal opportunity on flag), with a side of USN BBs

I enjoy the operations (except that which shall not be named) and co-op play mostly, with only occasional 5-7 tier random battles

My clan does not do clan battles (or hasn't for some time anyway), and I haven't really done much with ranked lacking higher tier ships

My first coal ship was the Jean Bart cause I saw a Jingles video, and I already have the Aigle from a Santa crate and St Louis from a supercontainer

I have been saving my very limited steel for a Flint or Black, but now I am going to wait for them to come back next fall as coal ships.

I do have Russian ships, I am currently grinding in Budyonny, not really up to speed on coming Euro Destroyers/Blyskawica, or high tier BB play

Am I going to kick myself for not getting the Smolensk while it was available?  I don't know much about the ship, have never (maybe in co-op) faced it in battle, and will probably never be good enough, or have enough time to learn it properly for pvp play.  That said, I could always use it to farm up some commander xp and for lighting fires for directives.  Do I bite the bullet and put off my Salem (grandfather served on the Salem and Des Moines) for another while as it seems safe as a coal ship, until I can earn more coal?

If you can scrape enough coal together, I'd get the Smolensk.  Smolensk is an OP Flint:  Ludicrous-speed gun reloads, smoke, and a heal.  As others have said, this one will probably go away forever (you might see it in Christmas boxes... MAYBE.)

One other coal option might be Georgia (since you like USN ships.)

[PVE]
Members
12,854 posts
26,831 battles
1 hour ago, Feldo357 said:

Get Smolensk if you can just because that ship is going away and may never come back. The others even if they go away will probably come back at some point.

How did you get a tech tree ship from a Super Container? St Louis (T3 US Cruiser) and Saint Louis (T9 French Cruiser) are both tech tree ships and they are not in SC's??? Did you get a Charleston by any chance (T3 US Cruiser that is same basic thing as St Louis)?

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,189 posts
5,616 battles

It depends on your personal call, how much coal you can grind and how quickly, and the significance/value you place on Smol. It's a good CL, but since you hold the Salem so close to heart, it may be better to secure her first.

Despite what WG verbage/rumors leads on, I would not expect Smolensk to return to sale anytime in the next few years at least. It's going away and its hated by the community, I am not expecting a hasty return to service.

[4HIM]
Members
3,243 posts
14,271 battles

I picked up the Smolester a while back.  Don't really have great games in it..  But if you have a mission to get main battery hits, it doesn't take many battles to get them.  Even in short PvE matches I've gotten well over 400 in one battle.  And it's likely to be removed and only show up in future loot crates (if at all).  So I'd get it while you can.

[G-B-U]
Members
83 posts
6,450 battles
41 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Get Smolensk if you can just because that ship is going away and may never come back. The others even if they go away will probably come back at some point.

How did you get a tech tree ship from a Super Container? St Louis (T3 US Cruiser) and Saint Louis (T9 French Cruiser) are both tech tree ships and they are not in SC's??? Did you get a Charleston by any chance (T3 US Cruiser that is same basic thing as St Louis)?

I meant the Charleston, I had just read something about the St Louis and my brain is fried by tax season already :cap_fainting:

Thanks for all the replies, I think I will have to put the Salem on the burner for a while until I can get that coal racked back up

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
3,283 posts
11,850 battles
2 hours ago, Efros said:

To be honest in COOP you'd be better of with Thunderer, just my opinion mind you I'm sure others will chime in with theirs.

^I agree with this. Smolensk does ok in co-op, but it has to sandpaper ships down and co-op doesn't give you a lot of time. Ships with good alpha strikes fare better. Salem with its SHS shells, good autobounce, and huge heals does well too. Others have suggested Georgia. She does well too.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,711 posts
24,985 battles

You'll be missing out on a unique ship that is Smolensk.  There is nothing like her.  Not even Research Bureau ship Colbert, as she doesn't have smoke like Smolensk does.

Smolensk is getting pulled soon.

Thunderer isn't.

Smolensk is fine in PVE, just as much as Thunderer or any other fancy ship.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WOLF9]
Members
417 posts

Smolly is the correct choice for most. After all, they had to remove it from sale to nerf it. If I need some low stress coop games Smolly is my choice!

Smolly.JPG

Edited by S7CentNickel
addition

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,680 battles

Smolensk for sure. Its great for missions and tasks in coop. If you have premium it makes money even in coop. The match below was coop. 

unknown.png

Edited by Taichunger

[FML]
Members
4,118 posts
16,057 battles
8 hours ago, Feldo357 said:

Get the Smolensk now and grow into her (particularly in Coop). 

The others are much more likely to come back sooner or later. 

[--K--]
[--K--]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
2,547 posts
10,122 battles

The likelihood of Smolensk coming back is low for the foreseeable future.  Anybody who has any interest and the means to obtain her should do so to not have any regrets that can't be fixed.  As a T10 premium, there's a *chance* that you won't even get to see her later in lootboxes... I mean Christmas Containers.

[T_O_P]
Members
438 posts
12 hours ago, Feldo357 said:

GET SMOLENSK. It is better for Co-op where kills happen fast, than Thunderer which is better for Randoms where you will have plenty of opportunity to do long range shots. TRUST ME GET SMOLENSK. You can do PvP in Smol as well of course. Warning: it is a bit on a slow side, drives like a bus. but it is worth the sacrifice.

Edited by RusskiySpy

Members
635 posts
90 battles
17 hours ago, Feldo357 said:

Just get op ship smolensk, you will only moan later when it's gone and you missed your chance. Salem is pathetic leave it alone