Tigerspook

King George V, first impressions

12 comments in this topic

Members
155 posts
3,550 battles

TLDR; Highly entertaining

After the Queen Elizabeth, I was pretty concerned that I was wasting my time with the British line. Watched some generally positive KGV videos, but they were old. Would they still be relevant in the current meta?

First few trips out, I was not impressed. the guns were short-ranged and extremely trolly.  However, I worked through the upgrades.  Suddenly KGV started to bite.  The guns are still trolly but they're ok.

My captain is low, maybe 11 or 12 points.  Grab Expert Loader.  KGV has 14" guns. That's not enough to punish very many (any?) tier 7 BBs.  It's AP doesn't citadel very well and 14" won't overmatch any tier 7 BB snouts.  But with Expert Loader, you can switch the HE when you need to.  The HE has an insane fire chance, something like 41%.  Those trolly guns are going to miss... but even 2 hits of 8 gives you about a 65% chance of causing at least one fire.  You're doing your part to help someone earn a "fireproof" achievement. Good for you!

The general idea will be

On same-tier or higher BBs, use HE. You can't really hurt them unless they are close and pretty flat.
On same-tier BBs that are flat, use AP.
On higher-tier or well-angled same-tier cruisers, use HE.
On flat same-tier cruisers, or lower tier cruisers and BBs,  use AP.
Use HE on all DDs.

Season to taste, of course.

Racked up a sweet 72k damage on a Nelson last night. My AP skipped off, so I switched to HE and put three fires on him twice. The 2nd time was fatal.

The price you'll pay is that you're armor is pretty thin, except for the belt. You're overmatched by almost every same-tier BBs in the game except for Scharnhorst.  You have to angle well and stay away.  Put them on fire to use up their DC consumables. You may not directly benefit, but winning games yields large rewards.

In games where the KGV is top-tier, it can be a monster. In games where ti is low-tier, it is probably worse off than any other tier 7 BB due to its armor.  Of course, it's a firestarter, so that's some compensation.

I am enjoying the challenge of it.

Edited by Tigerspook

[PISD]
Members
651 posts
4,336 battles
8 minutes ago, Tigerspook said:

In games where the KGV is top-tier, it can be a monster. In games where ti is low-tier, it is probably worse off than any other tier 7 BB due to its armor. 

Not so sure about that. Colorado sure have better guns and armor, but she’s so slow that she struggle to follow the tide. Lyon have just as weak armor as KGV, if not weaker. Gneisenau with its 6 guns kinda struggle when lower tier.... and kgv HE  stay deadly against anybody

[WOLF3]
Members
23,736 posts
21,161 battles

The trick with KGV is to survive and play the "Long Game" and play her like a Cruiser.  I played her defensively like a Cruiser.  My primary targets were DDs and slamming them with RN BB HE, and then BBs second.

Play defensively, use range as your safety buffer, anything to survive longer while still dishing out damage.

RN & FR BBs have the thinnest exterior armor, i.e. thinnest deck armor, upper belt, etc.  They eat HE Pens very easily.  When I ground the RN BB Line, the greatest threat to me was not BB AP, but making a mistake in positioning and getting spammed by multiple HE Spammers.  FR & RN BBs don't last long, even Conqueror in Tier X.

So watch your positioning and play the long game.

RN BB HE is nasty in the long run of a game.  When those other BBs are battered, have gone through all their Repair Parties or have 1 charge left, timely application of RN BB HE is a fantastic finisher.

In addition, the beauty of RN BB HE with KGV is that you don't give a f--k about higher tier BB armor.  KGV's 356mm HE has 88mm HE Pen.  50mm armor sections, 58mm, it doesn't matter, RN BB HE doesn't care.  KGV with 356mm x10 firing RN BB HE shells at 25 second reload speed doesn't care.  Missouri?  Jean Bart?  Musashi?  Your guns don't care.  KGV is decently fast at 28kts, not as fast as Bismarck-class, but at least you're not a slow self propelled target drone like 21kt Colorado.

The fun part if you gotta kite a BB faster than KGV?  Kite them and feed them RN BB HE to the face nonstop.  25 seconds reload at base time before Adrenaline Rush makes it shorter... They'll change their f--king mind or get burned down.

Of the Tier VII BBs, IMO, KGV is one of the best to scale when bottom tier in a Tier IX game.  You play a game of mobility and constant damage, picking on DDs and BBs.

Like a Cruiser.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
155 posts
3,550 battles
11 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

Not so sure about that. Colorado sure have better guns and armor, but she’s so slow that she struggle to follow the tide. Lyon have just as weak armor as KGV, if not weaker. Gneisenau with its 6 guns kinda struggle when lower tier.... and kgv HE  stay deadly against anybody

I love the Colorado. Can't get there, if it does, it can't escape, but man oh man people underestimate it.

I think Gneis is the weakest tier 7 BB in the game.  Or, it has a higher skill floor and I am not good enough to appreciate it.

The Lyon's armor is superior - compare them side by side. Lyon has a good belt all the way up - KGV has 25mm above its main belt. Lyon has a 30mm deck. KGV does not.

Members
155 posts
3,550 battles
26 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

... I played her defensively like a Cruiser.

...  KGV's 356mm HE has 88mm HE Pen.

... The fun part if you gotta kite a BB faster than KGV?  Kite them and feed them RN BB HE to the face nonstop. 

...You play a game of mobility and constant damage, picking on DDs and BBs.

Like a Cruiser.

I found that 88mm of HE pen was good enough to citadel low-tier CAs. Surprise!

I scored all that damage on the nelson by kiting. Worked great, stayed angled. 

Like a cruiser - great advice.

Edited by Tigerspook

Members
2,549 posts
14,054 battles

KGV is one of my three most favorite ships to play in the game. I consistently average 100k damage games with her. There are a few tips you need to follow:

1) Play mid range. Kiting is very ineffective and brawling range is certain death. This ship extremely stealthy with CE skill, equipment and camo. Mid range lets you disappear as you move way when you need to repair
2) Use HE at all times with the following exception:  When a BB or cruiser are showing full broadside. Note: The HE shells are powerful enough to  citadel most tier 7-8 cruisers. 
This ship's strength is it's HE guns with 43% fire chance. It can set multiple fires and burn any tier BB down to oblivion. 
These guns are also very effective against DDs that get too close to your ships (another reason you want HE loaded). They can delete a DD in one volley.
3) Repair - It has one of the best HP generation in the game. The trick is to fight until most of your health is gone, go stealth while moving out of range, use your repair, move back into mid range and repeat.  

I recommend a survival build:
Equipment:
MAM1
Damage Control M1
Aiming Systems M1
Damage Control M2

Skills: My  19 pts
- PM
- EM
- AR
- Super
- CE
- FP
- JOT
- DCF ( This is very handy when being attacked by CV torp planes. It gives you extra fighter ) 

Edited by STINKWEED_

[PISD]
Members
651 posts
4,336 battles
22 minutes ago, Tigerspook said:

The Lyon's armor is superior - compare them side by side. Lyon has a good belt all the way up - KGV has 25mm above its main belt. Lyon has a 30mm deck. KGV does not.

Lyon main belt is only 180m and 240mm vs 381 and 351 for KGV, and Lyon got almost 13k less health with a poorer heal and a layout that force more broadside.

Members
155 posts
3,550 battles
16 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

Lyon main belt is only 180m and 240mm vs 381 and 351 for KGV, and Lyon got almost 13k less health with a poorer heal and a layout that force more broadside.

Ah, ok. I was speaking from the current HE spam meta point of view. KGV suffers terribly from it.

Members
155 posts
3,550 battles
28 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Equipment:
MAM1
Damage Control M1
Aiming Systems M1
Damage Control M2

Skills: My  19 pts
- PM
- EM
- AR
- Super
- CE
- FP
- JOT
- DCF ( This is very handy when being attacked by CV torp planes. It gives you extra fighter ) 

yep on all that equipment. For the skills (13 pt captain) I have PT, EL, EM, AR, SI, and FP. CE and JOT are next.  The captain is Jack Dunkirk so I have bonuses on EM and (eventually) JOT.

Members
2,549 posts
14,054 battles
26 minutes ago, Tigerspook said:

yep on all that equipment. For the skills (13 pt captain) I have PT, EL, EM, AR, SI, and FP. CE and JOT are next.  The captain is Jack Dunkirk so I have bonuses on EM and (eventually) JOT.

My captain is also Jack Dunkirk. I left him on KGV because I like the ship so much and didn't move him up to my Conqueror. 

Another tip that comes in handy. If there are many enemy ships on your side of the map go dark, turn around, aim your bow away from them while angling so that you can still fire your forward guns back at them. From that angle you can burn down enemy BBs while they can do minimum damage to you. When your HP runs low go dark while move away. Sitting in one place and shooting from the bow can be suicidal when you need to get your butt out of there.

[WOLF3]
Members
23,736 posts
21,161 battles
On 2/15/2020 at 10:12 AM, Tigerspook said:

I found that 88mm of HE pen was good enough to citadel low-tier CAs. Surprise!

I scored all that damage on the nelson by kiting. Worked great, stayed angled. 

Like a cruiser - great advice.

I remember long ago when Flamu called Tier X Conqueror "Mega Zao."

Image result for girl smile fire

:Smile_veryhappy:

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.