You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
otakuben

Things I have thought were unfair in the past year

26 comments in this topic

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,373 posts
2,132 battles

So here are a list of things I have immediately thought were unfair in the past year after playing a game.

- Radar

- Cruiser agility

- HE chance

- strength of DD torps

- how strong cv planes are against AA

- how strong rocket planes are

- overpen mechanics

- concealment mechanics

- the tirpitz in ranked

- how strong AA is against down tiered CV's

- how good German secondaries are

- DD concealment

- turtle back armor

- Royal navy zombie heal

- how useless secondaries are against DD's

- cruisers with torpedoes

- cruisers without torpedoes

- overmatch mechanics

And so much more I cant think of at the moment. However after feeling unmitigated amounts of rage from experiencing these at some point I took a moment, thought about it, and tried a different approach when tackling them.   

There are complaints that are completely valid amongst the player base. CV rockets are too strong, Roma needs a buff, Bacon is not represented well enough in game.

However the majority are the results of lack of understanding and how to properly adapt and/or fight these issues. I am by no means a great player but I'm trying to get better.

So next time someone does something that seems wholly unfair or broken, take these steps:

- review in the replay what they did and how they did it

- seek advice on how its accomplished and how best to fight it

- fight it the next time you encounter it and keep learning from your mistakes

Great players are great for a reason. They take the time to understand the mechanics and how best to exploit their strengths and the enemies weakness to them.

• Cool 8
  • Funny 3

Members
1,822 posts
27,230 battles

If such a listing as that should be acted on, then wouldn't we be left with one ship. I mean, if everyone had a Myoko - EVERYONE - then it would be exciting and absolutely fair, except, of course, for captain skill...

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,373 posts
2,132 battles
4 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

If such a listing as that should be acted on, then wouldn't we be left with one ship. I mean, if everyone had a Myoko - EVERYONE - then it would be exciting and absolutely fair, except, of course, for captain skill...

Exactly. The unfairness of any ship, mechanic,  etc are purely the results of the player perceiving them. There are some very few minor inequalities in the game but the majority of perceived problems are the result of game rage usually.

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,373 posts
2,132 battles
Just now, Navalpride33 said:

AP spam not on the list??? Not yet ???

It will be in 2020 if the OP guns trend continues.

HE spam is more prevalent than AP spam but I consider both non-issue. Players who HE spam in ships meant to sling AP dont fully understand where each plays it's part.

[PVE]
Members
4,841 posts
21,246 battles
1 hour ago, otakuben said:

So here are a list of things I have immediately thought were unfair in the past year after playing a game.

- Radar

- HE chance

- how strong cv planes are against AA

- how strong rocket planes are

- overpen mechanics

- Royal navy zombie heal

Great players are great for a reason. They take the time to understand the mechanics and how best to exploit their strengths and the enemies weakness to them.

OK, these are the ones I agree with from my perspective. 

Unfortunately, "skill" has little to do with anything anymore.....  These are small, time compressed maps where a plane can fly across the entire map in 20-20 seconds....  Radar is 100% effective.  Carriers are the last ships in most matches and planes can destroy DD's with impunity at the end of the game and there nothing the DD CPT can do.  Gimmicks have taken over the entire game.  Gimmicks sell; and, skill, realism, history and especially, traditional roles are LONG GONE.....

We are being compelled to become a FFA young adult small map cooperative shooter........no more or no less than an arcade game.   The rest of what we could be, went out the window in late 2018 and all of 2019. 

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
12,074 posts
19,529 battles
2 minutes ago, otakuben said:

HE spam is more prevalent than AP spam but I consider both non-issue. Players who HE spam in ships meant to sling AP dont fully understand where each plays it's part.

I was pointing out the obvious... I have my own list as well

1. AP Spam
  2. HE spam
  3. Plane harasment
  4. Lastly secondaries

This is just an over view list but its %90 of someones frustration.

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,373 posts
2,132 battles
1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

I was pointing out the obvious... I have my own list as well

1. AP Spam
  2. HE spam
  3. Plane harasment
  4. Lastly secondaries

This is just an over view list but its %90 of someones frustration.

Fair enough. I just think that players, especially newer ones, need to take a breath before attacking any one single mechanic and first try to understand and defeat it from players who are much better at the game. Yuro, for instance, is a meme worthy youtuber but his how to guides are useful and provide insight on how to play specific ships.

9 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

OK, these are the ones I agree with from my perspective. 

Unfortunately, "skill" has little to do with anything anymore.....  These are small, time compressed maps where a plane can fly across the entire map in 20-20 seconds....  Radar is 100% effective.  Carriers are the last ships in most matches and planes can destroy DD's with impunity at the end of the game and there nothing the DD CPT can do.  Gimmicks have taken over the entire game.  Gimmicks sell; and, skill, realism, history and especially, traditional roles are LONG GONE.....

We are being compelled to become a FFA young adult small map cooperative shooter........no more or no less than an arcade game.   The rest of what we could be, went out the window in late 2018 and all of 2019. 

I have found the game no less gimmicky than it was in closed beta. The gimmicks have just merely shifted directions. In closed beta BB's were the shat upon class. If you want examples of this:

- RTS CV's allowed cross dropping and dev striking BB's in single runs

- DD's were so stealthy and strong the generally accepted BBvDD tactic was "you cant win"

- HE spam was so prolific and hard hitting, BB's used it over AP because of the damage and fire chance ability mixed with the broken ability to obliterate other BB main guns in only a single salvo (like knock the guns out permently)

- cruiser HE spam was so good and strong that it became the standard way to fight literally any ship

I mean the game turns and slowly another ship will find itself ontop of the pack. I suspect Cruisers are about to get their due soon. 

[BOTO]
Members
1,424 posts
17,068 battles
32 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

AP spam not on the list??? Not yet ???

It will be in 2020 if the OP guns trend continues.

It's not on the list because it doesn't exit.

[--K--]
Members
1,351 posts
11,815 battles
14 minutes ago, otakuben said:

I mean the game turns and slowly another ship will find itself ontop of the pack. I suspect Cruisers are about to get their due soon. 

*cough* *cough*
RU cruisers...  

Definitely not RN cruisers...

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,134 posts
11,839 battles

Things I have thought were unfair in the last year .

I had to pay my taxes again .

The court just awarded my ex wife an increase in her alimony .

I had to pay 20 thousand dollars to have the sidewalks hoods and fire system replaced at work because the insurance company said so .

My doctor told me I have to stop drinking vodka .

I had to go from the 200 to the 275 reading glasses at CVS .

I have to pay 1970.00  a month for health insurance .

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,535 posts
14,839 battles
3 hours ago, otakuben said:

Great players are great for a reason.

For some it is natural but for many they turn a game into a job and only play a few ships.

[WORX]
Members
12,074 posts
19,529 battles
5 minutes ago, clammboy said:

I had to pay 20 thousand dollars to have the sidewalks hoods and fire system replaced at work because the insurance company said so .

On the Lighthearted side, I recommend wine ( Red sweet win from Carlo Rossi)

Do I need to change font size to alleviate your health decline going on as scheduled?

Lastly, can we agree to disagree that Exes like elections have unintended consequences ???:Smile_hiding:

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,134 posts
11,839 battles
5 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

On the Lighthearted side, I recommend wine ( Red sweet win from Carlo Rossi)

Do I need to change font size to alleviate your health decline going on as scheduled?

Lastly, can we agree to disagree that Exes like elections have unintended consequences ???:Smile_hiding:

Believe it or not the no vodka and the going up to 275 reading glasses bugged me the most . I have started drinking wine only no Vodka and now I'm a wino .

[WORX]
Members
12,074 posts
19,529 battles
1 minute ago, clammboy said:

Believe it or not the no vodka and the going up to 275 reading glasses bugged me the most . I have started drinking wine only no Vodka and now I'm a wino .

I am not far behind, I have health issues also... Here is a taste of what I have to deal with

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,134 posts
11,839 battles
6 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

I am not far behind, I have health issues also... Here is a taste of what I have to deal with

Oh boy did you do this it looks like a good solution to the problem . Sorry I'm off thread !!!

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,373 posts
2,132 battles
10 minutes ago, clammboy said:

Need your help Captain Wino. My wife and I are going to greece for vacation. I have never had alcohol but will be having a single glass of wine then never have alcohol ever again. What would you recommend for my one and only glass of wine. Nothing too expensive preferably.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,326 posts
16,093 battles

well,  one glass  in greece? I like redwine  from island of Crete as they have good palate and decent price.       otherwise,  stick with katoi(Agiorgitiko)  , which is tablewine, and good if you like  sweeter wine. 

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,134 posts
11,839 battles
37 minutes ago, otakuben said:

Need your help Captain Wino. My wife and I are going to greece for vacation. I have never had alcohol but will be having a single glass of wine then never have alcohol ever again. What would you recommend for my one and only glass of wine. Nothing too expensive preferably.

I myself drink Pino Noir It's a red wine not to dry not to sweet light bodied and a little fruity . It's a very popular wine there are good Pinos at very reasonable prices . I think it's a good starter wine that's why I drink it .

2017 La Crema Pinot Noir from Oregon this is more full bodied it also one of the highest in alcohol 14.5% and cost 20 dollars . Good bang for the buck plus it taste good .

Since your are in Greece if you want to try local wine Tsantali Mavroudi  2015 a nice red wine that goes well with Steak or lamb any grilled meats .

Hope you and the wife have a great trip Greece looks unbelievable . Here's hoping one glass of wine doesn't turn you into a wino . One glass of wine should get you a nice buzz if you never drank before have fun .

Edited by clammboy
  • Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
13,735 posts
1 hour ago, clammboy said:

:cap_like:

Finally something real to complain about, not trivialities in a video game.

[RLGN]
Members
15,203 posts
26,863 battles
3 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

Unfortunately, "skill" has little to do with anything anymore...

...We are being compelled to become a FFA young adult small map cooperative shooter........no more or no less than an arcade game.   The rest of what we could be, went out the window in late 2018 and all of 2019. 

For all its faults, RTS was still highly dependent on twitch abilities and skill to be really devastating.

WG’s answer was to change the mechanics to something that was touted as being ‘easier...’

How having to ‘ fly’ the planes using controls which are either too sensitive or completely unresponsive in turns, while dodging AA whose area of effect is often unclear or ill-defined, and attack using those same poor controls without the target tracking afforded to every other ship is ‘easier,’ compared the much maligned ‘point and click’ and automatic attacks available in RTS, has yet to be adequately explained to my satisfaction.

1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

For some it is natural but for many they turn a game into a job and only play a few ships.

...and thus why some lose interest and quit playing. They may want to win, but aren’t as dedicated to the minutiae as those you speak, and resent being harangued for that.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,535 posts
14,839 battles
7 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

For all its faults, RTS was still highly dependent on twitch abilities and skill to be really devastating.

WG’s answer was to change the mechanics to something that was touted as being ‘easier...’

How having to ‘ fly’ the planes using controls which are either too sensitive or completely unresponsive in turns, while dodging AA whose area of effect is often unclear or ill-defined, and attack using those same poor controls without the target tracking afforded to every other ship is ‘easier,’ compared the much maligned ‘point and click’ and automatic attacks available in RTS, has yet to be adequately explained to my satisfaction.

...and thus why some lose interest and quit playing. They may want to win, but aren’t as dedicated to the minutiae as those you speak, and resent being harangued for that.

You forgot the micromanaging.

[RLGN]
Members
15,203 posts
26,863 battles
5 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

You forgot the micromanaging.

Easy to do.

Despite my having no previous RTS experience, and being such a twitch skills hamfist, the micro never bothered me.

I may not have been a carrier driver super ace like some of the CCs, but I read complaints about how ‘hard’ RTS carriers were to play, and was always; ‘Hard? You’re kidding, right???’

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
27,535 posts
14,839 battles
4 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Easy to do.

Despite my having no previous RTS experience, and being such a twitch skills hamfist, the micro never bothered me.

I may not have been a carrier driver super ace like some of the CCs, but I read complaints about how ‘hard’ RTS carriers were to play, and was always; ‘Hard? You’re kidding, right???’

It was the micromanaging that stopped me from playing the RTS CV's, it turned a game into work.

• Cool 1